Wii DVD playback via software Download Petition- Please read and sign.

mocaw

WiiChat Member
Feb 24, 2007
Hello everyone. I would just like to invite you to sign my petition that would enable current Wiis to be upgraded, via download, with software to enable DVD playback. I think it would be better for users to decide on their own if they want DVD playback- and want to maybe pay for it. This method would eliminate the need for two Wiis, and the extra distribution and packaging costs that would go into it for Nintendo.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Wii_DVD_Playback/

Thank You,
Gideon

?

Nintendo already stated that they would not be adding dvd playback through a download.

Dont waste your time.

yah it dosent have a drive capable of playing movie DVDs, so you whole thing is just kinda stupid and pointless

Sovieto said:
yah it dosent have a drive capable of playing movie DVDs, so you whole thing is just kinda stupid and pointless

Thanks for the polite reply!:nonod:

Show me the GOOD info you have on that. I'm sorry, but people already have hacked the wii to play DVDs- and it had nothing to do with the drive not being ready. Why would Nintendo pay extra just to make a non-standard DVD drive?

What do you think the Sonic Solutions software does? It's not hardware- it's software. The Wii firmware disables this function- and the Wii has no DVD playback software. This isn't a drive issue.

Keep drinking the Kool Aid...

Last edited:
guys guys guys, LISTEN.

Whether the Wii CAN play dvd's or not is beside the point, because even if it CAN, Nintendo already announced that they would not be adding dvd playback via an update:

"A Nintendo spokesperson has announced that the company plans to release a version of the console with DVD-Video playback capabilities in 2007.[38] This corroborates an earlier press release by digital media company Sonic Solutions, stating that Nintendo had chosen their CinePlayer CE DVD Navigator software engine to provide this functionality. Even though software will be used to enable DVD-Video functionality, it apparently "requires more than a firmware upgrade" and cannot therefore be implemented through the WiiConnect24 network."

A new wii with playback has been confirmed in Japan, and will most likely happen in the US, but is not yet confirmed.

Borch712ers said:
guys guys guys, LISTEN.

Whether the Wii CAN play dvd's or not is beside the point, because even if it CAN, Nintendo already announced that they would not be adding dvd playback via an update:

"A Nintendo spokesperson has announced that the company plans to release a version of the console with DVD-Video playback capabilities in 2007.[38] This corroborates an earlier press release by digital media company Sonic Solutions, stating that Nintendo had chosen their CinePlayer CE DVD Navigator software engine to provide this functionality. Even though software will be used to enable DVD-Video functionality, it apparently "requires more than a firmware upgrade" and cannot therefore be implemented through the WiiConnect24 network."

A new wii with playback has been confirmed in Japan, and will most likely happen in the US, but is not yet confirmed.

Well, maybe it will require a dongle- much like the xbox playback kit. I'm still game for something that you could plug into one of the USB ports.

I think the Wii plays it's disks backwards so I don't think an update would help. Maybe if a DVD was made especially for the Wii(Kinda like the PSP) it might be playable not sure though.

E-Roc2010 said:
I think the Wii plays it's disks backwards so I don't think an update would help. Maybe if a DVD was made especially for the Wii(Kinda like the PSP) it might be playable not sure though.

this is off topic, but fyi, the wii READS them backward, not play them. they spin the same way but the wii reads them out to in instead of in to out (or viceaversa, I forget)

W/e the bottom line is I don't believe for a second that Nintendo would release a brand new version of the Wii that has DVD playback capablity. And if they did so they had better be prepared to replace the ones we all have now.

Sorry but it doesn't look like thats gonna happen. If it did then you could probably just buy a DVD player for the same price it would cost you to get the DVD playback. So rather than waiting for something that probably won't ever happen why don't you just drive over to Walmart and pick up a cheap $20 DVD player?

Back