Wii Emulated?

StevenNevets said:
horrible answers.

you need to say steep hardware requirements rather then implying it can't be done and leaving false impresions on people.

There's most likely working emulators for all of these

It can obviously been done. All a game console is, is a computer. And that all depends on your definition of "working". Because by most people's standards, there is no "working" emulator for those.

Especially not the DS.

If by "working" you mean getting the loading screen and nothng else. Well then I have seen all of them emulated on a PC.

ftcmark, the reason ps2, wii, all all the other consoles run games so well on what SEEMS LIKE low-end hardware (aside from their video cards), is because there is no operating system running to haul you down.

Wiimote can work on a PC, yes.
DVDs can be beaten, yes.
PS2 Emulation has JUST broken through.
Gamecube..it's doing alright.

The problem with emulating a wii is that not only do they have to get as far as they did with the ps2/gamecube emulation, but they have to go the extra mile and get the wiimote to detect, and be spot on. The fact that the wii is just such an innovative system is one of its key anti-emulation features.

Now I know you CAN get the wiimote to run in windows, but it's still a lot of work on your part.

Basically, Wii emulation won't be seen for 5 years. PS2 took.. 5 or 6, itself, and it's still hardly playable.

MaXiMiUS said:
Vagrant: for somebody who's been involved in emulation for 10 years, you really don't seem to know jack about why the requirements are high in comparison to the original systems. Why not try reading what I've said several times already?

Honestly. Shaders? ...

Or you just have no idea wtf you are talking about.

Because it is not that easy to emulate to a PC something that uses piplines and tps as high as the Wii does.

...I have one that works... Only with some games though.

Being able to load brain quiz is hardly what I would consider a working emulator.

My point was that you were claiming an array of systems were "not really possible" to emulate, and when I disagreed, you continued to state that.

Why not read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emulators ?

"PS2 - Emulation not really possible
Dreamcast - Emulation not really possible
Gamecube - Emulation not really possible
Xbox - Emulation not really possible
DS - Not possible
This Generation - Not really possible."

PS2 emulation is possible, and is being worked on, several games are even playable (60FPS).
Gamecube emulation is possible, but you need to have an extremely high end computer to get any decent FPS out of it.
Dreamcast emulation is possible, I even have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chankast running on my computer.
Xbox emulation is possible, but not being worked on. Halo and Turok are the only games that went anywhere though, in terms of emulation.
I never even considered DS emulation, so I won't comment on that.
This generation? Sure, it will probably be possible. But think about it, a Dreamcast emulator requires around a 2GHz processor to run at a decent speed, and it had a 200MHz CPU. So we're talking 7-8GHz for a Wii emulator, and, well, close to 100GHz for an Xbox 360 or PS3 emulator. But you never know.

StevenNevets said:
MHz and GHz umm no...

there's much more to it

It's called oversimplifying. Do you want me to go into a page long rant or something? I will if everybody here is a programmer and doesn't mind.

Yes, I know of many emulators also. That doesn't mean they are fully functional.

And I already explained on the first page what I meant by "not really possible" you just insist on misinterpreting for the sake of trying to argue something to sound smart.

The reason emulation will work slower on an equal or greater PC is due to the differences in CPUs.

Firstly, the GC/Wii use a RISC (Reduced Instruction Set) chip, which, in layman's terms, means that it'll perform a lot better at a low mhz than an x86 chip.

Secondly, these are different chip architectures, so underneath all of the "meat and potatoes" emulation, the PC also needs to emulate the chip that everything runs on top of. This extra bagage slows things down considerably.

Also worth bearing in mind: These chips are optimised for one task, and one task only: Playing games. The Dreamcast was capable of displaying some amazing graphics at a fairly nippy pace, but when I tried to cross compile some linux source code on it, it was about as fast as an old P-166 box I have - on the same note, you're taking the code from a cpu that's optimised for gaming and running it on a cpu that isn't particularly optimised for gaming, and taking a large performance hit through that also.

Last edited:
thisisgil said:
The reason emulation will work slower on an equal or greater PC is due to the differences in CPUs.

Firstly, the GC/Wii use a RISC (Reduced Instruction Set) chip, which, in layman's terms, means that it'll perform a lot better at a low mhz than an x86 chip.

Secondly, these are different chip architectures, so underneath all of the "meat and potatoes" emulation, the PC also needs to emulate the chip that everything runs on top of. This extra bagage slows things down considerably.

Also worth bearing in mind: These chips are optimised for one task, and one task only: Playing games. The Dreamcast was capable of displaying some amazing graphics at a fairly nippy pace, but when I tried to cross compile some linux source code on it, it was about as fast as an old P-166 box I have - on the same note, you're taking the code from a cpu that's optimised for gaming and running it on a cpu that isn't particularly optimised for gaming, and taking a large performance hit through that also.

that was a very informative and well crafted comment. I learned a lot. It was so much better than
vagrant said:
I think your lying.

or
vagrant said:
Or you just have no idea wtf you are talking about.

pathetic attempts at persuading the masses. vagrant die please.

MaXiMiUS said:
There's a difference between possible and 'excessive hardware requirements'.

Dolphin emulates the Gamecube fairly well, it just requires an incredibly powerful computer to get any reasonable FPS out of it. I saw a video of somebody with a $5000 computer running RE4 on their PC with Dolphin at about 37FPS. It's only a matter of time.
yup. the only emulators that run good are dreamcast and ps2.

gamecube emu is slow, so I highly doubt the Wii emu will work at a decent speed, and it hasn't been out long, no developer can make a stable emulator that fast, anndddd... there is no proof of being able to ISO a Wii DVD.

Back