Wii Fail At Life: Wait... What? (Caution)

hmm......i have too agree with you about online being AWFULL

And as for the graphics...im fine with them, but then agian, as you said
"switching to wii after your playing a 360/PS3, you will notice a difference
i dont own either a 360/PS3,.....so i wouldnt know

BTW great post:yesnod:

The biggest flaw with the wii is it being vastly underpowered compared to the PS360. This inherent flaw affects how it is being perceived by gamers and developers alike; it is seen as a child's toy, not worth doing any quality work for. Not worth being taken seriously. That is why we see mountains of shovelware put on the wii. They figure wii owners are just little kids who's mamma and daddy bought then a toy for Christmas or for their birthday. They see those who bought the machine as ignorant. They don't see us as discriminating consumers who know and appreciate good quality in games. After all, didn't we choose an inferior product?

Gamers look at the graphic now on the wii, reflected in the games now available for it, and very nearly puke. No matter how good the graphic get on the wii, it will still be miles behind what on the PS360. There is a reason these games are called VIDEOgames! That is SEEING them is extremely important than PLAYing them.

Everything Atomic said, mostly hinges on this fact. Yes, I believe Nintendo made a grave error in making the wii so technically weak compared to the other two games machines.

With alla this said. I still love my wii and enjoy it a lot, but I accept it for what it is, it is the wii, flaws and all. I think most of us need to accept it for what it is and move on. I think it's time to, it has been a year already. And if you or I cannot accept this fact, than I and others can go buy a 360 and/or a PS3. After all, I believe the wii was originaly meant to compliment its more powerfull relatives.

The wii is a closed system, it cannot be technically updated or rebuilt. I think what Nintendo needs to do, if they see need to, is to acknowledge this mistake and find ways to work around it, though it. It the best anyone can do, as individuals or huge multibillion dollar corporations, like Nintendo.

Last edited:
Jay588 said:
even if the wii is behind in todays high end graphics and processor..i still play it more than the 360..i dont know why but the games are more fun and have more replayability..i like the 360s online capabilities though..but its got its down sides (loud, risk of rrod :sick:)..by the way..i cant make out whats going on in the picture..i see a ps3 and a 360..but whats with the tear drop and the stars? :confused:

I think the stars are eyes and/or may represent glory in the eyes of the gaming industry, something the wii doesn't share with the PS360. The tear drop in on the wii, which is being crushed by the two powerhouse giants, the PS360.

Theres really no point in doing this anymore, guys. Sure, before the wii came out this was very important because people were trying to decide what to buy, but now? Now we can all see for ourselves.

If you are disappointed with the wii, thats your own fault. You obviously did not take the time to research it enough before purchasing it, otherwise you would know and accept its faults.

i dont look back on my purchase of the wii im glad i did it. Xbox 360 dont appeal to me plus my brother has one, and the only game i want for PS3 is GT5 and thats it. Even if the Wii is only 1.5-2x more powerful than the GC im still happy with it because i know once tapped it will produce some amazing games/graphics. GC was more powerful than ps2 and yet ps2 still had some great looking games not better than GC in MY opinion but still great. that being said if the GC can produce some great effects visually then the WII will be able to double maybe tripple anything game cube/ps2 could put out there.

for verification on my spec claims go to the gaming sections and read WII in danger of repeting the game cube.

Why do people continue to slate the Wii on the basis that it is not a PS3 or 360? Do people realise that is should be revered based on it's own merits? Nintendo could have made an HD super graphics machine like Sony and Microsoft but they decided not to. This much we know. Nintendo followed the success of the DS with the new ways to play and went with it. And they have done exactly what they wanted to do. The success that Nintendo have got from the Wii and DS takes them back to kings of the comsole world. Sure, causal gaming is here in abundance but that is a fact and it is not going anywhere. Deal. Base don Nitendo's success it would not surprise me if other comapnies took a more casual approach.

AS for the issues raised - Graphics are irrelevant. We didn't complain about our SNES graphics did we? or NES for that matter? Didn't we all think that Resident Ecil on PS1 looked great? Would we say that now? No. Does it men we wouldn't play that game anymore? No. Anyone that says yes is an idiot. Retro gaming is huge at the moment (at least here in the UK) and that means old school games with old school graphics. I graphics on the 360 are amazing (never played a PS3 - don't really see the point as there are no games in there i would play bar new FF), and that is all good. I played Assassins Creed on my mates 360 the other day and it cetainly looks very nice, Boring as hell to play but it looks nice. I found myself playing 360 games and spend more time looking around than actually playing - that cannot be right? And to be honest this new HD hyper realistic graphical worls is possibly leading to dumber games. All style and no substance.

Online gaming - not interested. As far as i care if i can play someone online then cool - i don't need to be able to talk to them or anything, just play them. For me multiplaying is getting the gang round, having a few beers and having a laugh - really do not have much time for playing against strangers.
This is my opinion of course and therefore nintendo's current status doesn't bother me. Mario Kart and Brawl are likely to see an improvement on this front though.

3 - Third party support - isn't this picking up now? Square are almost desserting Sony (losing dragonquest to the DS has gotta be hurting Sony), RARE (IMO) wish they cold return to Ninty, EA are giving great games and now that the wii is the biggest selling of the three, third party games will heat up. Also, third party (or lack thereof) is less hard to deal with when you have first party games made by the best game creators ever (Arguable i know but come on, overall Nintendo has made the best games). Interestingly how much first party support i there on the PS3 and 360 (genuinely do not know) nothing really screams MICROSFT or SONY anymore (expcept Halo). Also it is about exclusive titles to an extent as multi system games are generally below par as devlopers get lazy - regardless of power and remotes and the like, it is just easier to mass priduce average stuff over like 7 platforms.

i forget part 4 - was it about AI etc and CPUs - not interested.

Also a lot of posts go on about the media capabilities of the PS3 and 360 and how great that is - 2 words people GAMES CONSOLE. Nintendo is all about the gaming. And the fact that i can surf the net reasoanbly well on my Wii and look at my photos form my digi camera is an added bonus but nothing I cannot do on my laptop. The Blu Ray player is a good argument but with the PS3 being a part of Blu Ray's success i am worried that SOny will lose out to HD DVD after the relatively bad first year for the PS3.

Overall enjoy your console, enjoy them all, don't dalg them off for no reason. The orignal post here was reasoanbly good but was it really worth it? It was clearly gonna lead to Wii bashing and general crap so can we just leave it? Nintendo = gaming (and stil lhardcore) it always ahs, we know this , we love them for it. Leave them alone. Casual gaming is the future people. i hate that as mcuh as anyone but if it is good casual gaming then so be it. Also Wii = variety not FPS, driving game, bad GTA clone et al. Mature and realistic don't equal good peeps.

Adios

what's with the pseudo debate threads with their pathetic attempt at a witty graphic and title?

everyone knows wii's downfalls.

Wow, this thing is full of typos!
owlsgo said:
what's with the [STRIKE]pseudo[/STRIKE] mega ultra [STRIKE]debate[/STRIKE] argue threads with their pathetic attempt at a [STRIKE]witty[/STRIKE] graphical graphic and title?

everyone knows [STRIKE]wii's[/STRIKE] my downfalls.

1. Why on Earth are you going to bash my art? Isn't it my choice to put a lame picture to a lame thread? Does it offend you? Are you offended?

Jeese.

some people need to learn how to read before posting...

anyways, graphics and power and what not doesnt matter to me at all. gameplay is all that i care about. anything thats gonna keep me playing for more than a week is worth getting to me. the wii is just so darn entertaining! idk. of course there are days where you just dont feel like having to move your arms all around to play a game, and thats when the 360 comes into play! i like them both the same, and they are equally entertaining to me. but idk graphics and that doesnt come into my decision of a system to buy.

However, one thing i am looking foward to/hoping for in the Wii is a good online for Brawl and Mario Kart, and hopefully a new Mario Party game that will have online capabilities. those three games online will just expand the greatness of the Wii. but like ive already said, i do not buy systems based on online capabilities or graphical power. its all about entertainment. To me, basing a decision on specific topic is selling yourself short.

JCpackers05 said:
some people need to learn how to read before posting...

anyways, graphics and power and what not doesnt matter to me at all. gameplay is all that i care about. anything thats gonna keep me playing for more than a week is worth getting to me. the wii is just so darn entertaining! idk. of course there are days where you just dont feel like having to move your arms all around to play a game, and thats when the 360 comes into play! i like them both the same, and they are equally entertaining to me. but idk graphics and that doesnt come into my decision of a system to buy.

However, one thing i am looking foward to/hoping for in the Wii is a good online for Brawl and Mario Kart, and hopefully a new Mario Party game that will have online capabilities. those three games online will just expand the greatness of the Wii. but like ive already said, i do not buy systems based on online capabilities or graphical power. its all about entertainment. To me, basing a decision on specific topic is selling yourself short.

Absolutely impossible. :prrr:

FRuMMaGe said:
Yep. Wii sucks on paper.

But in practice, I enjoy it far more than my Xbox 360

And that's the most important thing. People always forget that. Surely the best system is the one you enjoy the most, not the one with the best computer inside it.

First post was ate? here it goes again.

Hey guys I'm new here and I really should be working on stuff but I just wanted to bring some thing to your attention. The Wii is one of the last true havens for the older forms of hardcore gaming that are going out of style with the current version of the hardcore gamer. These styles include games like No more heros, 2d retro gaming by way of the VC, which includes the most hardcore line up to date on any system all in one place, legit wise any way. Hey be sure to read the whole thing as their are some gems listed here you may not know about! Hardcore gaming of the Wii is it's best kept secret as we down want to scare away the new comers too much!

Just look at all the flak street fighter four is getting for having a 2d playing field? Then just look at how the 2d game of any kind is discounted in the mind of the current hardcore gamer and is even seen as some thing that should not be sold at full price. This is the main reasoning behind VC prices being too high or unfair. To the past hardcore gamer this system is perfect and more of a console than a PC clone. If you look at the post of current gamers they sound like the PC gamers of my teen years. We all know how PC gaming ended up! Who's getting 2 of the 4 good games coming out this year?

Sorry to get off topic but I will move on to the topic at hand. I just had to show where my thinking is coming from because I'm not much of a fanboy of a manufacturer. I'm a fan of a company getting out of the way though and letting other do what they will with the console. Nintendo has made a major push to get the old hardcore playing again along with the new casual market. To me they are enabler right now which had the great idea to make it mass market. Most hardcore gamers don't make a lot of money and if they do they don't have time to play games any more because you got to have money to blow of HDTVs now! Most gamers can not do this and this is the sole reason why consoles exist because PCs are too expensive. Consoles have always been the poor mans or child's PCs for playing games.

1:Graphics: As a avid gamer who happens to be a artist traditionally and CG wise I think the Wii has the right fit. The upgrade in tech is very curious as it seems to be over kill for a SD type of console yet the jury is out on this. If you notice all Wii games run at 60FPS a clear sing that it is not being pushed.

The real question is can the Wii make graphics that make you actualy want to gwak at it? Your answer is in the past my friend. For years consoles had been the lower tech gaming device on the pole with PCs and the arcade shoving console in their place. Yet artistic style has always saved the console from being out shined(that and deeper game play some times too).

It may not have a lot of power for normal maps or some shaders but even that is still being pushed as compression is possible. I haven't benchmarked the system yet I see plenty that could make the old Post UT Quake 3-4 modder in me happy. After playing a few games like metroid and a few other you coulds really do some nice games on this system. No more heros is a perfect example of what developers need to be making for the Wii. It simple, has lots of gamer induced style points and classic hardcore game play that actually plays off the graphical style.. Also I have to bring up the fact that Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes looks way better than Soul caliber legends, hell even the character designs have way more style in them. You have to budget you polygon count and your textures have to be clean and well crafted. If you look most high end games are relying more on shaders than good old texturing. Also 2d wise this system is a power house. Which will be seen when two mostly unknown 2d games hit the Wii.

The Wii is just going into it's second gen of software and seems to be mostly untapped if you look at what Factor 5 was able to do with inferior hardware. The simple answer is not much money has been invested into making the Wii graphics chips sing yet as they can do functional shader type applications yet the frame rate would be in question. If you look at the texture budget of say a smash brothers and some other games all running at 60 frames I seriously doubt the system has peaked yet.

At 2000-10,000 dollars to get my hands on a dev system for me and a few programmers friends to play with I think their could be some cool stuff made on it as most of my 3d apps actually cost 4000-6000 dollars. Also too BWii has some great normal mapping going on in their too. The problem is Every one believes that it is not worth investing in the Wii's graphic pipe line when you have basically two other consoles that use some form of shader effects to out put HD graphics. It's funny but I'm wonder where did all the good 2d artist go? Also too take notice how realism has become a crutch for most artist in the HD realm of gaming. This has been a problem for PC games for a while as all of the creative games dried up on PCs and came to where the open minded where which was to the consoles. Now you seem to have two choices on your gaming platform graphics wise. Those choices are realism or casual Ipod or classic simple with no edge.

If I'm a designer right now I would have to just put my head down and not get on the internet as all you hear is no one wants any thing but realism and HD graphics. If it is any thing less than that we would want it for a discount? Is it me or does their seem to be a lot of displaced PC gamers playing consoles right now?

2: Online
I like what they have right now since there is no restriction. EA has their own servers and really if a developer gave me a chance to run a server off my PC for a Wii game I would rather have that than the Xbox live thing. Also too the main games that need online will have them 32 player death match sounds good to me and all of EA sports have online with leader boards. Also too the random matches are cool with me too. I don't need to play my friends. The online games where I do that are on the PC any ways. Maybe this is why the Wii so called lack of online is not a problem to me because I have other means of playing online and free of charge also. I'm not a AIM type of person any more either so the Wii suits me just fine as I use it to play the games you will not see on other systems mainly. If you are truly hardcore then you should have a problem getting live of a PC set up. If money is a problem then please realize what you purchased. Even the xbox arcade system is pretty limited online wise with out that hard drive I hear. Also too a part of me doesn't even want online on my Wii unless it is Ad hoc style where I can get a lan going with two Wiis in a room to play multi players games in the same house building. Lan parties have alway been the best type of online play IMO. Yet I really just want single player games on the Wii.I've been playing online for over 10 years now and believe me you are not missing much if you actually like a good ol console game. Really I would like to see more games on the Wii that don't need online to be fun. Hey but this is just me and for some reason I don't like hidden taxes to get the full enjoyment out of my game which includes DL content.

3: 3rd party support?
What happened to the hardcore gamer in some of you guys? You seem to be complaining as if you are a sega genesis owner wanting to play wing commnder in it's full glory? is the casual gaming thing getting you down also? Hmmmm interesting. I've got plenty to play on my Wii and all my games have provided a very nice challenge.

Companies to watch...
Vanillaware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanillaware
Oboro Muramasa Youtouden - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEKXImWQOmg Please watch this OK and you will understand.

Goichi Suda
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suda_51
No more heros
Really if this is not on your to buy list you really need to question what you really are hardcore about?
then you have this game also... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_Frame_IV yes it's being made by his team!

Capcom
# Monster Hunter 3
# Ōkami
# Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
# Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
# Sengoku Basara 2 -this game is sweet! you should buy it on the Wii just to send a message!

Also too street fighter 4 is going to be 3d yet on a 2d plane old school style... Could Wii owners get a pure 2d version?!!! Capcom has done this before and the first SF was just magical how they got that game to work on the snes and genesis!
Also too Zak and Wiki is really a mega man game in my mind art style wise! It's going to happen people in 2d! hopefully! They also hold the best current engine crown for the Wii right now in the res evil engine.

Konami- Really once MGS4 is done do you think kojima will not want to try his hand at cash diving on the Wii since he could simply blow most 3rd parties out of the water with just what he was able to do on the PS2?! Suda and him have brought up the idea of a snatcher sequel.
right now they have their casual and other stuff out yet who knows?

Ubisoft- they are cash cows and crap shovelers to the masses yet they must realse what any smart publisher has. if you make it they will come. Yes I'm talking about the hardcore and especially the cash strapped ones. Ubi has a lot to prove with ACreed doing ok and showing them hey we want games not interactive renders of zbrush produced normal maps held together with a really nice climbing sim.

Also too team ninja has a very nice game in the new ninja gadien yet I'm much more excited in the game play style of the DS version. It has a more ninja feel to it for some reason?

Call for Heroes: Pompolic Wars Quotix Software DDI
Call of Duty 3 Treyarch Activision

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Krome Studios Lucas Arts

Sword of Legendia Namco Bandai Namco Bandai
Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk Namco Tales Studio

Trauma Center: New Blood Atlus Atlus
Trauma Center: Second Opinion Atlus Atlus /Nintendo EU

These guys are sleeping giants along with the makers of maple leaf games!

John Carmack and Anna Kang and their new studio? John really is liking the DS a whole lot and looke there they even made a Wii game...Hmmmm Rage would be nice but hell I still play the old quakes 2 and 3!

Fragile is the New Wii RPG Revealed by Namco and it looks really good too!

One Chanbara R by D3 - take a look here - http://www.nwiizone.com/nintendo-wii/nwii/one-chanbara-r-wii-images/

just look at what they will let on their system now... this is becoming a really nice haven for the old school hardcore gamers! Yes their has been some misses yet their are a lot of hits! The sales may not show it but I'm very happy with my library of games and VC games and I'm looking forward to the sleeper hits coming down the line.

Really the whole casual thing is simply some thing nintendo is doing to get more people playing simply because for the last few generation gamers simply put nintendo down at every turn. Their seems to be a lot of hate against nintendo and it seems to be from old school gamers and has carried on to the new school gamers that grew up with the PS brand. Really to tell you the truth nintendo is playing this game right. they are simply making the Wii a blue ocean for hardcore games with no competition really coming from nintendo on this side of things it seems. The 3rd parties are still waiting to see if this thing flops or becomes a fad. So is the hardcore community. I really don't understand the hate though. Nintendo has always been a casual company since the old LCD hand helds and arcade games. They can make other games but that is not their focus which ok because their are loads of developers out their to feel their shoes.

Yet right now we are in the growing stages- 3rd parties want to test the waters with the new cash cow called casual gaming.
they really want to get into this market because coming up with good hardcore games often is very hard to do just ask the PS3 developer and the xbox 360 developers. What we deem as interesting is very skewed as gamers right now since their are so many different types in gaming right now. The 3rd parties that will suffer on the Wii the most are the teams that have no real vision of gaming and it shows.Yet most of the heavy hitters are trying to make the HD sale work. I don't know how many times we will see games with lack luster sales yet had big budget dev price tags get the ok. New franchises are having a rough time on the HD systems it seems.

As a gamer I'm pretty happy with what is happening. I always wonder what the console developers would do if given a PC like system and I think they answered my question. They would make what any PC developer would make a PC game. So far I'm not impressed to the point to get another "console" other than the Wii. Like I said before I have a PC and I love Hd stuff yet some thing seems to be missing from games these days period and I welcome the new comers and the people that will try Wii ware!

The Wii can only go up from here! Also be a hardcore gamer... shouldn't you be ignoring what you don't like. -Ok- if you do this then you will see lots of good games and already the Wii will have a better line up than the GC and N64 combined as even some of those games are on the VC!
It is approaching PS2 and DS momentum with out gimmicks like online play or down loadable content. Seriously gaming needed this console to happen casual or not.

4:raw power
AI- ok name a HD game that has good AI? Really in all the game I have seen the Ai still sucks and seems likt that will always be the case since most of the HD game are sand box style games made for online play. So really in order to have a mario game with great Ai you would have to let other people control the progenies right? Hey that would be fun too! Physics- elibits- and the whole idea is over rated because these systems still can do physic all that great. Then you have frame rate. Well most game run at 60 frames per second any way. Hell excite truck in crazy fast compared to the slow-mo simulator that is motor storm. So what is the problem? Oh it that high resolution texture thats got you all hyped up? I wonder how many of those games run at 60 FPS? I mean what would you choose if you had a PC game? Low effects and high frame rate or high effects and stop motion animation? Choose your hardcore-ness you can't have both unless you pay for bought. It will cost you around 1500-2500 dollars if you are up to that. Really the Wii is what you paid for. It's your annual 200-300 console coupled with tech to make gaming fun and affordable. Serious look around would you paid for mario galaxy or Wii sport if the system cost 400 dollars from the get go? If you said yes then you should have a xbox or PS 3 right now and if so then why are you still complaining? Really I've seen lots of crap since I've been gaming and we may never get another PS2 again because that was the first time one company had the market completely to them selves sales wise.

As a gamer find what you like and share it with the hardcore. The only reason why I even look at reviews is to see screen shots and video from game play. The score means nothing to a hardcore gamer it's just their opinion. I mean make me another Ikaruga and a 2d strider that rocks and even sequels to some real old school games like beat em ups and shooters and I'm game!

You really have to ask your self why are you hard core? If you are hardcore because of some "loyalty" then you not really having fun this gen are you? I think this is where all the anger is coming from. I mean just look at all the mean-ness there is online in the hardcore community that is suppose to love gaming. I'm having a hard time believing these guys are fans of gaming. They seem more like fans of loyalty and bragging rights which have reduced the system war to a gladiator sport of some sorts where the only thing that matters is numbers rather than favorite games!

I mean hell if I could get a Wii version of contra 4 which was made on the DS with a better resolution and crazier action on my Wii I would buy it hands down! I mean really this system can go way beyond what you are use to seeing in 2d!

Last edited:
Back