wii game reviews suffer BECAUSE...

fiveryanfrenzy

Wii Citizen
Nov 29, 2006
I believe that some wii games are getting bad reviews from the game review people because they aren't playing enough to get used to the controls. I have noticed a trend that the game review sites rate it a little lower because of the controls and then all the player reviews rate it high because of the controls. The players are putting much more time into it compared to the game reviewers because the reviewers are busy reviewing all kinds of games. With such a long amount of time using a standard gamepad, the controls were mastered across all fronts. I can't think of a term for this but it seems to make logical sense to me.

any thoughts?

any ideas of a term for this phenomenon?

i feel you on this. red steel is a prime example. id call it dualanalogacitis or something like that. or gesturebasedgamingaphobia.

coolg35748 said:
I believe that Red Steel is the game that recieves the worst reviews because of this. No other titles that I have noticed this in.
i disagree, ive read reviews that complain about the madden 07 controls while i think they are amazing

surprisejimmy said:
i disagree, ive read reviews that complain about the madden 07 controls while i think they are amazing

Yeah, truely I wouldnt worry about game reviews. If you want to play a game and are unsure about it even though it had a bad review, just rent it first.

Jesse I agree with you, games are completely personal. Just find a gameshop were you can try the game first or just rent it.

By the way the first games should probably not use for the full 100% the functionality of the Wii controller, maybe the Nintendo games more then the games from the other developers. If you look to the online capability of the Wii this is also not used yet in the games. Game developers are used to develop games for gamepads.

My guess is that the in the coming months the new funtionality of the Wii is more exploited and reviews become better.

fiveryanfrenzy said:
I believe that some wii games are getting bad reviews from the game review people because they aren't playing enough to get used to the controls.
Yes I think you are right . Also I think they also come with preconceived ideas and "baggage" left over from previous gaming cosoles , about what they think games are supposed to be like .
I read a review of COD3 ,where the reviewer complained about the Wii Remote ,saying that every time he shot ,the controller would flinch and he would miss his target .
I found the Wii Remote gave me a rate of control and an accuracy in an FPS that I have never expirenced with analog thumbsticks .I love it . It makes me a "better gamer ".
I guess people react to thing in different ways .

Angry!

fiveryanfrenzy said:
I believe that some wii games are getting bad reviews from the game review people because they aren't playing enough to get used to the controls
Has anyone else seen the IGN Wii reviewer playing the Wii on youtube?

It made me so angry!! He was utterly useless at golf and kept blaming the controls. COD:3? USELESS!! Red Steel? USELESS!!

I've had 50-60 year olds pick up the wiimote and do better than him in golf after 10mins of figuring out the controls. I still lose to a 50 year old in bowling!

COD:3 was alot easier shooting-wise than Red Steel, but Red Steel made up for it in story/gameplay. People who have the job to write a review of something should be at least competent to learn how to play first. Useless gamers will give useless reviews because they refuse to accept their useless-ess-itude

Well I sort of agree, 'cause the Official Nintendo Magazine rated NFS : Carbon badly 'cause of the controls are menna be hard, but I don't find them difficult whatsoever, and alot of people have said drifting is impossible, and I find that easy too. Either I'm '1337' though I'm not.. :lol: or people are finding it difficult to get used to, I go with the second option.

Back