Wii Game Room Set-up

Freddie780

WiiChat Member
Nov 28, 2007
Ok - silly question..... I am going all out this year - changing the kids playroom downstairs into the Wii playroom. How far should the couch be away from the flatscreen on the wall for optimal usage. I also purchased a 42" lcd just for this system. Still debating on whether or not to mount on the wall or place on top of a tv stand. Not sure high high off the ground is too high for the system. Have kids 5 and 6.

I think mouted is better if you want to prevent the kids from knocking the tv to its horrible death or smear it with stuff. if you mount it be really careful how high you mount it and if its the kind of mount that lets you pull it foward go for one of those.

For a 42" inch screen I would recommend sitting somewhere around 10 feet from the screen and I would also recommend mounting it on a TV stand. If you don't you will have the Wii sitting on the ground somewhere with ugly wires dangling around the room.

With kids, I'd recommend wall mounting the TV. Dont forget to get the Component cables for the Wii for best picture quality. BTW This setup would show MORE cables than if it was on a TV stand/cabinet. Have couch about 3metres/10 feet from the screen. Height depends really, cos you are so gonna want to play it. Sit on the couch at the right distance and look comfortably at the wall, make a mark on the wall where your eyes are comfortably looking straight ahead, and mount screen with that mark being the centre point of the screen location. The kids will have to look 'slightly' up from your view but not by much. My parents made the mistake of wall mounting our TV way above eye level, you get strain in about 20mins... Thats about all i can offer, also if you feel upto it and have the room get a nice surround system, it improves playability, and its great for movies too. (NOTE: Wii does not play DVDs).

I recommend as much space as possible. And a word of advice-stay as far away from them wen they are playing as possible. if you dont, believe me its gonna hurt!

MRCOOLGH said:
I think mouted is better if you want to prevent the kids from knocking the tv to its horrible death or smear it with stuff. if you mount it be really careful how high you mount it and if its the kind of mount that lets you pull it foward go for one of those.

I agree with this dude. I personally think u shouldn't have it too high. its best to have it, more or less, level with where you're gunna play the wii cos the wiimote works better then. as i'm sure you are all aware, the wii-mote can be a tad funny if at a weird angle.

Overall, i think the wii-playroom is an awesome idea. I would do the same if i had some money. I have a wii and a big-ish tv. but i lack a room and a house, as i still live at home, doing my GCSE's in high school :D

Back