wii getting out dated?

xdanxx

WiiChat Member
May 29, 2007
whats going on, i just have a couple of questions. Im thinking about getting a wii because ive heard its a blast, but my question is will they make a better version like ps2 did with the slim ones, or make a new wii that is much better and outdated. So what im basiclly asking is, if i buy a wii now, will i get screwed, or is a now a good time to buy the wii? thanks

No, but even if it does happen, millions of others will be 'screwed' with you, so you don't stand alone.

J/K - No there is no updated Wii coming out for a long time. Although there talking about new colors but that's far away if you want to wait that long.

Any future wii's will be..... well.... Wii's just different colors most likely but I dont think any functionality will be different. Though I'm sure they will incorporate pcb changes to prevent mod chips. Oh and by the way the new Slim ps2's suck ass. they have no fan and the lazer on them blow out in about nine months of regular usage.

All that ive heard is new colors and will possibly play DVDs later this year.

I've just heard different colors, nothing too drastic. I'd say now is a great time to buy one if you can find one.

Are wii's relatively easy to find now, and whats the deal with the virtual console, can you just hook up to any ethernet cord that has internet access and buy games? oh and btw i didnt know that about the slim ps2, guess newer isnt always better. thanks

Yea... new colors and ones which can play DVD movies, but I think the will be a little more expensive.

The current Wii is capable of playing DVD's, It would take a firmware revision to the drive..... I believe this is what I heard. Don't some of the mod-chips out there allow the wii to play dvd's and use dvd +/- r/rw....... hmmm. Now that i think of it there may not be a decoder chip in the current wii, but that could be fixed with a software decoder. So if Nintendo where a kinder gentler corporation they COULD give everyone the ability to watch DVD's without having to go buy a whole new unit. This doesnt really matter to me though, I already have DVD players in nearly every room in my house.

Last edited:
can you hook your wii up to any internet connection to access the virtual console to buy games? whats the deal with that? thanks guys

the more different media that a console can play, the faster it dies. look at the ps2 playing psone games and how the psone games don't always read over time, or a ps1 game will read and a ps2 one won't. it's all about laser alignment. the more types of media that a drive can read, the faster the failure. keep it simple.

xdanxx said:
can you hook your wii up to any internet connection to access the virtual console to buy games? whats the deal with that? thanks guys
No, you need a wireless internet connection (WiFi), via a wireless router or a Nintendo WiFi-USB Connector (which you plug into your pc and lets you connect to internet with your Wii or DS). You can also have a wired connection via an USB Cable, but I think it's more complicated to set up, but I'm not sure. If you don't have WiFi in your house, or anywhere near, I'd suggest you to buy the Nintendo USB Connector. :)

The deal about Virtual Console is that you can buy games from older consoles (NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx16) and download them directly to your Wii, and then play them whenever you want, although not all the games are available at once, they release like 2 or 3 new games every week (Mondays in the US, not sure if it's the same in Europe).

Last edited:
Well, think about this, too. The ps2 slim was NO different than the fat version. It didn't offer any more features or anything. In fact, there ended up being less support for the slim version than the fat version. I have the fat version (bought on launch day) and I never considered myself 'screwed' when the slim one came out....

Zarogan said:
No, you need a wireless internet connection (WiFi), via a wireless router or a Nintendo WiFi-USB Connector (which you plug into your pc and lets you connect to internet with your Wii or DS). You can also have a wired connection via an USB Cable, but I think it's more complicated to set up, but I'm not sure. If you don't have WiFi in your house, or anywhere near, I'd suggest you to buy the Nintendo USB Connector. :)

the wired connection is great nothing hard about it all... its a usb adapter that plugs into the wii's usb port then you take your CAT-5 cable and plug into the connector on the WII and then too your router,hub,switch,direct to modem.

then go to connection settings in the wii options and choose wired and presto you are in business

You should just buy a Wii now and enjoy everything it has to offer. But getting your hands on one at this moment in time could prove to be tricky, depending on your area.

Back