Wii HD -- All you need to know

p4killer

WiiChat Member
Jun 16, 2007
Ok i came across this thread googling for something and read and decided to clear some things up a lil.

HDMI / DVI
Component / VGA
S-Video
Composite
R/F

Top to bottom - Best to worst quality of display

The only dif between HDMI and DVI is that HDMI carries audio signal and the Wii doesnt support anyway.

Component aka RGB which the Wii does support can carry display resolutions up to 1080i I believe. This display will be limited by the Wii which can only display 480p at best. Progressive meaning each and every row of pixels being displayed will be refreshed in order. Interlaced meaning every other row is displayed in an alternating pattern. These are rough definitions of course but in example, with 480P every row 1 through 480 is refreshed in order and 480I every other 1 through 480 is refreshed so 480P = 12345-12345-12345 and so on and 480I = 1 3 5- 2 4 -1 3 5 LOL idk 480i displays half of the resolution and 480P displays ALL so --all in all the definition will be much clearer and Progressive is especially better in fast motion events so the point being the graphics WILL NOT become better but the DEFINITION WILL ie:. jagged lines or pixelated items or fog will become much better with Progressive display colors will look better as well.

Also with RGB aka Component the colors that make up the display are separated where as with Regular Composite aka Red White Yellow the colors are COMBINED so this makes a huge difference in Definition as combining all the colors creates a loss is quality and separating them allows better quality. Component aka RGB also separates the resolution from the colors where as Composite aka Red White Yellow combines the resolution with all the colors to which reduces the quality even further.

Lessoned learned- Component is alot better than Composite in alot of cases whether u can see it or not its just better in the way it works so go with component. and 480P means better definition not better graphics so less jaggies less cloudy and better colors but not it will not turn ur Wii into a 360 which is what I own. So for the guy with the PS2 using RGB, ur games should look clearer with less jaggies but it will not make the graphics more realistic or advanced.

For the guy with the question about VGA versus Component, the dif here is that VGA is Digital and seperates colors and resolution Component is Analog and separates colors only not resolution. VGA separates the vertical lines from the horizontal and all the colors. Component separates the colors but combines the vertical and horizonatal into one signal. These two Displays VGA and component are basically the same except VGA since it separates the resolution signals can display higher than 1080i ie:. 1080p or 1600x1200 which is a computer resolution so in the end there is no difference here for Wii users because the Wii only goes up to 480p which both VGA and Component can display and the separation of the resolution signals results in very minimal quality gains while displaying resolutions 1080i or lower. So i guess the big plus for Wii supporting VGA if it did would be in allowing people to use their computer monitors for displays.

As for people using HDTV's for thier Wii remember that the Wii is 480p and your TV is 720p or higher meaning the TV will have to up covert the 480p image to fit the screen. Up converting is this way usually means streching aka taking the 848x480 image or w/e it is and streching it into a 1360x768 image
(aprox) so u may lose some quality there as well. Thats all you rele need to know on the whole Wii HD topic and any display type below Component sucks pretty much S-video is ok Composite aka Red White Yellow is old and much worse and R/F is the same kind as Super Nintendo which will never do your Wii anything but shame.

OH NOO! I HOPE THEY DON'T MAKE GOOD GAMES FOR THE WII IN HD, I DON'T HAVE AN HD TV! I CAN'T AFFORD IT! I CAN BARELY AFFORD THE Wii!

BapFap said:
OH NOO! I HOPE THEY DON'T MAKE GOOD GAMES FOR THE WII IN HD, I DON'T HAVE AN HD TV! I CAN'T AFFORD IT! I CAN BARELY AFFORD THE Wii!

You need to add <sarcasm> </sarcasm> marks to that :hand:

I couldn't care less about HD etc aslong as the games are enjoyable :)

I have noticed some crazy edging. Thanks for the info. I appreciate the find for sure. Why not introduce youself in the intro thread.

-Tom

Nice read. Really clarifies HD cables. I didn't know component was capable of 1080i actually. Just thought it was only good up to 480P. Oh well. Thanks.

true .. but thts why i called it rough

ciper said:
Close but innacurrate. If you really want the right answers I suggest reading the AVSforums.

pretty much accurate but yes its very rough and alot more could be said but for the most part, concerning wii its good enuf :p also.. pro scan is all lines at onces kinda what i said ehh close enuff and vga is still analog**** i was like oops

Last edited:
Back