Wii HD

djfinfan

WiiChat Member
Oct 19, 2007
I see some websites say that their Wii is HD Ready and others don't mention HD at all. Are all Wii consoles HD ready if you buy the HD cables and of course a HD TV?

Thanks.

djfinfan said:
I see some websites say that their Wii is HD Ready and others don't mention HD at all. Are all Wii consoles HD ready if you buy the HD cables and of course a HD TV?

Thanks.

The wii does not support HD. No wii does.
It goes as high as 720p, which if you have decent component cables and a good quality screen, will look almost as plush as proper HD, but is technically not.

f1982 said:
The wii does not support HD. No wii does.
It goes as high as 720p, which if you have decent component cables and a good quality screen, will look almost as plush as proper HD, but is technically not.

no offense to you, but you are really wrong and I am not sure where you got your information from, because it certainly is not from personal experience.

The wii maxes at 480p. The difference between 480i and 480p is minimal, but worth the 30 dollars to make the bars a little more precise.

HD is 720p. Proper HD from a premier xbox 360 game has no comparison whatsoever to a wii game. Metroid Prime would have been scoring in the 9's if the graphics were a bit better.

From my experience, wii on my HDTV is good if the type of game looks good generally. Animated games like Mario are better made for the wii whereas first person shooters like metroid prime lost their jazz with a lack of graphics. My 2 cents.

CaTasTRO said:
The wii maxes at 480p. The difference between 480i and 480p is minimal, but worth the 30 dollars to make the bars a little more precise.

My spectacular component cable was $8 :D At any rate, it's a small difference (especially since sets with de-interlacers perform essentially the same chore), but the isolated color signal seems to improve saturation. I think on the cheap (<$10) it's definitely worth it.

CaTasTRO said:
HD is 720p.

Well technically it's either:

1280 × 720
1920 × 1080

:)

[DT] said:
My spectacular component cable was $8 :D

Darn it.....you got a better deal than I did :) . Mine cost $14.99.

The cable we have actually has three hook ups so I can connect a Wii, PS2, or XBox using only one component cable. Of course you can't hook them all up at once but this works good for us since our TV only has 2 component inputs. Our DVD player is currently taking up one component input.

Back