Wii hogging the internet connection?

Hatha

WiiChat Member
Mar 24, 2007
I have had mine a week now, and since I connected it to the internet, I've noticed problems with some internet applications on my PC. I'm struggling to use Skype, the only way I can get it to dial out is to d/c the Wii from the network and reboot the router a few times. It also refuses to load some heavy webpages.

Anyone have any idea of how much bandwidth it uses? I have a 2Mg connection. My PC is connected via Ethernet to my router, and the Wii is connected to the router via wireless. The Wii appears to function fine, it tolerated the flash updates and such, it's the other internet using machines in the house that are suffering.

Anyone else having the same problem?

I have WEP encryption with a strong password. No-one is going to guess it, and strange how my problems only started since the Wii arrived....

It never bothered me. The only thing that even remotely slows down our connection is the 360. My household has 1 Computer, 1 laptop, 1 Xbox 360, 1 Wii, & 2 Nintendo DS's hooked up & we have very very little slow down. The worst slowdown we ever had was our download speeds went from 1200kbs to 1150kbs.

Last edited:
my dl speeds are..........3 kb/s

Cable isn't available
DSl is too far away to be effective... I'm running at 33k right now...

Major Tom said:
It never bothered me. The only thing that even remotely slows down our connection is the 360. My household has 1 Computer, 1 laptop, 1 Xbox 360, 1 Wii, & 2 Nintendo DS's hooked up & we have very very little slow down. The worst slowdown we ever had was our download speeds went from 1200mbs to 1150mbs.
Damn you have a fast connection. I'm assuming you meant KBs not MB since 1200 MBs is extremely fast. I usually get around 900 KB/s with bursts of speed up to 1300 KB/s (Comcast Power Boost).

You are right

It does the same for me.. I have very high speed connection. Turn on Netflix on my Wii and everything drops off my 3 computers.. turn the wii off and all goes back to normal.

We need to find out why some people have this very real problem and others do not..

i have just over 700 kb/sec (verizon high-speed over phone line), but my wii is damn slow (can barely use yahoo & all the video sites use flash 10 now) & mu iMac G3 never exceeds 100kb/s. am i not getting what i pay for?

Back