Wii in danger of repeating the Gamecube?

ally_uk

WiiChat Member
Feb 15, 2007
Ok so we have had the great titles Metroid 3 , Resi evil 4 , Zelda and Mario Galaxy ( Which is the best game I have ever laid my hands on btw )

Where are Nintendo going to go from here?

I know Smash bros , mario kart, Animal crossing , Disaster , Project O , are all titles which will get my interest.

But don't you feel the Wii needs to start getting some decent Third Party support? maybe they should use the money they are making from all these sales and get a Bungee exclusive or a unreal type game

I'm sick of seeing rushed titles like Red steel , Soul Caliber legends and crappy film cash in's

Nintendo should really step up to mark and get some decent third party developers behind em!

I've noticed that there are several companies releasing really low budget games. There was one I saw at Best Buy the other day that was like a 3D Elevator Action or something. Spy Games: Elevator Mission. Along with a bunch of unnecessary sports games that didn't look like they improved on Wii Sports enough to even warrant them even being made.

Also, we're getting ports of PC adventure games such as Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None. I think there's going to be a bigger problem with the Wii than with the Gamecube. I think it's going to be over saturated with some really bad 3rd party games because from what I've heard it's easier to develop for than the PS3.

Nintendo also has no quality standards for games. if a dev has a crap title like chicken shoot they just OK it. if you notice the "nintendo seal of quality" has become the "nintendo seal". someone will step up and do some things but for the most part i think itll be crap. time splitters 4, anyone?? :)

even ubisoft said assassins creed wouldnt be on wii because its not casual enough. thats the biggest insult ive ever gotten as a gamer. there are hXc gamers who have wiis. 3rd parties need to man up and put time into their wii games before i go and...buy 360!

The wii will be steppin up real soon no need to worry...Unreal Engine 3 has come aboard and expected to make a few games, sucha as Red Steel 2 and Brothers in Arms...these are the same people that have made Gears of war...now we wont be gettin that game but hey if they can make that game, im sure we ill be gettin some great titles....only problem they are trying to work out now is how to fit this type of game play onto the wii..hey hope it works for Nintendos sake.

Ya it's definately repeating the Gamecube. It's out-sold the Gamecube everywhere in just shy of a year.

Total flop. :rofl

Bliss said:
The wii will be steppin up real soon no need to worry...Unreal Engine 3 has come aboard and expected to make a few games, sucha as Red Steel 2 and Brothers in Arms...these are the same people that have made Gears of war...now we wont be gettin that game but hey if they can make that game, im sure we ill be gettin some great titles....only problem they are trying to work out now is how to fit this type of game play onto the wii..hey hope it works for Nintendos sake.
thats the problem i had, everybody is saying "the wii is gonna have some sweet games coming out" but i dont see any? ive been hearing that since i bought my wii seven or eight months ago. there was a couple good games, resident evil 4 among them wich is just a port, much like alot of the other games.

SensesFail said:
thats the problem i had, everybody is saying "the wii is gonna have some sweet games coming out" but i dont see any? ive been hearing that since i bought my wii seven or eight months ago. there was a couple good games, resident evil 4 among them wich is just a port, much like alot of the other games.
derp! look harder! GH3, zak and wiki, mario galaxy?!

the thing i like to say is, are you really going to play like 10 awesome games before your next anticipated title? Nintendos just being smart. they know gamers wont actually get through 15 triple A titles before our next anticipated release, so they let 3rd party devs make crap so that we dont get games we buy and never play.:scared:

SensesFail said:
hey im with u also i am so tired of waiting myself...i even went out and got a ps3 when the price dropped, and even been playin my ps2 more...see the problem a lot of third party people are having is that the dont wanna touch the wii cuz of low graphics it displays...now dont come here and flame cuz i said that but its TRUE! Im hoping with Unreal Enigine 3 signing on that they will bring life to this system...cuz honestly these kiddie games arent gonna last forever.

In my honest opinion, I think Nintendo should have sit downs with EA, Activision, Ubisoft, and whomever else is a prominant 3rd party publisher. In this sit down they should basically say, "Stop making s#!%%y games on our system." Thing is I understand it's easy to develop for and it has a mass appeal but companies are using this info wrong. Instead of quality for the masses we are getting leftover garbage for the masses. The Wii is more powerful than given credit but developers see that their crappy game runs on the system and puts it out without any further advancements. It's not the Wii at all that's crappy, it's the developers.

ok here is a article i found of 3rd party people saying why they DONT want any part of the wii

Kikizo: You've been able to squeeze Unreal Engine 2 onto PSP previously; with that in mind is there any potential to get some form of Unreal Engine 3 running on Wii at some point? Because after all, commercially it has to be worth it now right?

Rein: It wasn't us, it was Ubisoft! [laughs] You know, actually, commercially, it's probably not worth it to be honest. And I don't mean that as anything against the Wii, but the Wii is an improved evolution of the GameCube - I mean it's hardware compatible with the GameCube! So if you're going to make a game for the Wii you're just going to use whatever tools you used on GameCube, and bring them forward and enhance them a little - that's what the Gamebryo guys are doing - and that's a fact; I just don't see a big market there to bring this big hulking memory intensive engine over to a much smaller system. I mean, I'm sure some of our licensees, just as a commercial exercise, will probably do it. I know one of our licensee who's giving it a shot; it's their own port, in the same way Ubisoft brought Unreal Engine 2 to the Wii - I mean Splinter Cell and Red Steel - Unreal Engine 2, and there's a few others... but it's just, we won't don't do it ourselves. Look, there's so many things we can do and are already doing, to improve our engine, on the platforms we're aiming it at, that going back and working on that [for Wii] just doesn't make sense. Unreal Engine 3 is a better engine today than it was a year ago when Gears of War shipped. So Unreal Tournament 3 for example pushes the PlayStation 3 harder than Gears of War did on Xbox 360. So the engine is getting optimised and we're improving it all the time; there's too much low hanging fruit that we already have on the engine side, and new improvements and things we can do to try and make an engine for the Wii - it wouldn't be smart business for us.

I agree i'm sick of the market being flooded with shitty games like Ninjabread man.

Nintendo should invest in some third party exclusives now!

Resident evil 5 :) please capcom

SensesFail said:

Part of the problem is that developers were caught off guard by the massive success of the Wii. So they got a late start and it can take a really long time to develop a top notch game.

Skippy said:
Part of the problem is that developers were caught off guard by the massive success of the Wii. So they got a late start and it can take a really long time to develop a top notch game.

its not that developers got a late start..its the fact that a lot of 3rd party developers have there engines graphically way to high for the wii ..its actually easier for them to make the inrense graphic game then it is for a game on the wii, they gave to down grade in order to make a game.. like the article i posted above says "the wii is nothing more then an advanced gamecube".

There are currently several top-notch games for the Wii--I shouldn't have to list them, as most have been mentioned already in this thread. There are several more on the horizon...look at "No More Heroes", which is definitely a third-party game and it looks extremely nice.

But, this doesn't answer the question. Is the Wii doomed to follow in the footsteps of it's predecesor, the GameCube? Not likely, no.

I remember hearing things about the Wii prior to launch that described the system as "supplementary" to a high-end system, such as the 360 and the PS3. I can't find the article now, but it seems as though Nintendo had not really intended on competing with the Microsoft/Sony marketshare. Instead, they were only looking to fill in the gap between the non-gamer and the hardcore gamer. To that end, they are succeeding.

So, I imagine that it's a tricky thing to balance between those things. Developers don't know how to treat the system, so they take the safe road and just dump any old title on there. Throughout the history of gaming, there have always been people that have picked up games based on boxart and the description on the back of that box without actually knowing what they were really getting into. When I was starting out, the only thing I had to go on was Nintendo Power, and they didn't have every single game in there that was being released. Sometimes I had to take a chance. THAT is was many of the third-party licenses are banking on--people will pick up the box and say "Wow, this looks like it might be fun." You don't have to have a good game to sell the game, you just have to put it on the most popular system on the market.

Actually, that's what it all comes down to. Companies are fully aware that the Wii is #1, so they know they can throw any old thing on there and still make a bit of profit. Honestly, how many of us had our parents buy us a game because it "looked like something we would like", only to find out it was pretty much the worst game ever (see "Athena", NES).

The Wii is fine. There is a list of reasons a mile long pointing to why, but it's fine. Next year we'll start seeing even more intense games than we have in the past month (seriously, RE:UC, MOHH2, etc...these aren't good enough?), and it will just get better and better.

Wii still sold out at the local shopping complex. Asda sold out, HMV sold out all last week but got a few in today, bundles only. Look at the games now:

2 Mario games
Mario & Sonic Olympics
Zelda
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil UC
Metroid Prime 3
Winter Sports
Medal of Honor
Man Hunt
Fifa
NBA
Madden
Sims 1 & 2

Granted a few are Nintedos games and the majority of other games come from EA but theres quite a catalogue available now.

I think the future looks pretty good for the Wii and Christmas will see a lot of sales.

Back