Wii Internet Connection Suggestions

MRodUF

WiiChat Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hi, I have spent several hours today searching various forums and playing with network settings on my computer in an attempt to get my Wii to connect to the internet, and wanted some input on my particular scenario to which I think most college dorm dwellers may be able to relate.

The Location: I am on a campus network in my dorm using a wired CAT5 jack which requires Cisco Clean Access Agent to log in.

Computer: Dell Latitude D620
Network Adapter: Broadcom NetXtrem 57xx Gigabit Controller
Wireless Network Adapter: Dell Wireless 1490 Dual Band WLAN Mini-Card

What has been tried:

1) I attempted to set up a wireless router (a Linksys WRTP54G) in between the wall connection and my computer but was unable to log on to the network using the Cisco Clean Access Agent and thus was denied internet access altogether. Note: I know for a fact this router works because I used it before I moved into the dorm.

2) I used an ad hoc wireless connection between my computer (logged into the campus network) and my Wii which successfully connected (the Wii found the ad hoc SSID and connected), but did not provide internet access for the Wii (error 51031). I tried manually inputting the IP, Subnet, etc. based off the ipconfig data returned using the command prompt in windows. I played around with bridging my network connections (wired to wireless) and also separately tried sharing the internet connection using the appropriate Windows settings under network connections. Nothing has worked thus far.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what to try next? I would prefer to avoid using a wireless router altogether since my university prohibits their use in the dorms, threatening revocation of network access. Ideally I would like to be able to log my computer onto the network using the Cisco Clean Access Agent and then share that connection wirelessly with my Wii. (and my PS3 as well, but I realize that is a separate animal entirely) Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I have seen where alot of ppl on campus have had problems with this. I am not sure exactly how to fix it but I know you can do it. I think you should try the wifi adapter that nintendo recommends for wired connections and see if that will work. I use a satellite connection that first comes from the modem than goes into my main PC which then sends the internet through a router but i had to manually enter the settings from IP Subnet and gateway before it would work so maybe just keep trying different configs..maybe even try asking one of the computer majors around campus to help. Other than that I cant think of any other solutions. Dont risk getting your connection revoked tho.

The network sharing in Windows should work, but you might need to forward some ports. I'm not sure which ones the Wii uses.

Thanks for the input. I had considered giving the Nintendo WiFi adapter a shot but wanted something more ubiquitous so I could connect my PS3 as well. Oh well, WiFi adapter it is.

I had the same problem with my XBOX360 but I figured out a way for me maybe it can work for you!

This is what I did :

1. Directly Connect your PC or Laptop to the Network (Not Router)
2. Go to Start > Run
3. Type in cmd and press enter
4. Type in "ipconfig /all" without the abbrievations
5. Look for your Network Connected to its usually under your Network Card
6. Write down the IP address, Gateway Address, The 1st 2 DNS servers
7. Disconnect the Cat5 cable from your PC or Laptop
8. Now connect your router.
9. This step I reseted my Router cause it was configured at home and not in school.
10. Anyway if possible go through your Router's Configuration Wizard
11. Most likely it will say something like "Fixed (Static) IP" when it asks you to input the Addresses. Use the Info that you wrote down earlier.
12. Apply and save.
13. Make Sure your Security is WPA-SK and passworded cause the Campus Computer Service might just suspend your network privelages until its fixed
14. Apply and Save.

That should be it.

Thanks for the info. I have tried something similar to what you suggested, but will attempt it again per your step-by-step instructions and post the results.

As an update, I setup the Nintendo USB WiFi adapter and it works. However, this doesn't solve the connectivity problem for my other systems.

Well, I tried setting up a static IP on the router with the information provided by ipconfig when I had the working connection with the campus network. (I was given 3 DNS servers so I entered all 3 in the router static IP setup, does this matter?)

It still doesn't work. When I put the static IP'd router between my computer and the connection to the wall, Cisco Clean Access Agent won't let me log in. Can anyone tell me about a work-around? Thanks.

dcofty said:
I use a satellite connection that first comes from the modem than goes into my main PC which then sends the internet through a router but i had to manually enter the settings from IP Subnet and gateway before it would work so maybe just keep trying different configs.

What satellite service and modem do you have? Does Wii Shop Channel work for you? I have Hughes satellite Internet and a DW4000 modem. Wii works online except for Shop Channel. More about it here http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-online/16822-satellite-wii.html

ok, i have had alot of stress trying to figure this stuff out

first i tried connecting to the internet, but i found out on the Nintendo website that i had one of the 3 routers that there working on to fix for use with the Wii

so i bought a WiFi USB Connector but it still says it fails at the connection testing, i looked on the the website it siad change my IP address to 192.168.2.0. , i can look at my IP address which is 192.168.0.1. but i do not know how to change it, if anyone can explain this thoroughly for me, it would mean alot to me

I'm having a similar problem. I'm also using the Clean Access Agent to connect to a school network, but I don't have a router. My connection is directly through a CATV cable from the wall to my laptop. Whenever I try to set up the USB Connector it tells me that I am not connected to the internet, even though I most definitely am. (a friend of mine set up the USB connector on their computer(a floor below me), also on the school network, successfully. he had no problems, but he also has a desktop..if that makes any difference)

Another thing, my laptop has recently stopped detecting any wireless signals at all and the wifi card seems to have stopped working, period. I turn it on and nothing happens(the light doesn't change from orange to blue).

In fact, NONE of my network connections show up in my Network Places, even the one i'm connected to right now.

I have a feeling I may need to reformat....:x

Any help for my many problems is appreciated.

Back