Wii, is just too....Kiddy

I tend to find that people always assume that brightly coloured and lacking blood automatically makes a game kiddie. And those people seem to be the ones that can't have fun in a game unless you can perform some sort of headshot or fatality move. My father happens to be one of these people and I find it to be a shame.

So far, I think the game line up for the Wii is quite 'Cute'. Not kiddie. Every game I've played can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike. Ok, there's not much blood in Raving Rabbids (or even Trauma Centre) and you can't headshot someone in Wii Sports but still, they're still fun even if you are over the age of 18, or below it as the case may be for some.

Soon, I have no doubt, there will be games to rival GTA and Gears of War for the gore and the much loved 'something for mothers to complain' about factor (And I can't wait for the 'GTA on the Wii taught my stupid child how to twist a knife in someones gut with it's motion sensing technology, it should be banned, banned I say'). And then all those who can only have fun by performing something that is illegal in real life on a computer game will be happy, because 90% of so called adult games are just about that.

If we're really lucky, we'll have what I personally would consider to be a true adult game sometime soon too. Something with a mature story and indepth gameplay that doesn't rely on realistic blood splatters or mammary gland physics to make it adults only. With the pointer possibilities classic point and click adventure could be easily made. Imagine it, a Monkey Island console game that isn't complete and utter rubbish. Dialogue that goes over kiddies heads, humour that borders on too dark, insult swordfighting.... the true ingredients of mature gaming.

Icuic said:
I tend to find that people always assume that brightly coloured and lacking blood automatically makes a game kiddie. And those people seem to be the ones that can't have fun in a game unless you can perform some sort of headshot or fatality move. My father happens to be one of these people and I find it to be a shame.

So far, I think the game line up for the Wii is quite 'Cute'. Not kiddie. Every game I've played can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike. Ok, there's not much blood in Raving Rabbids (or even Trauma Centre) and you can't headshot someone in Wii Sports but still, they're still fun even if you are over the age of 18, or below it as the case may be for some.

Soon, I have no doubt, there will be games to rival GTA and Gears of War for the gore and the much loved 'something for mothers to complain' about factor (And I can't wait for the 'GTA on the Wii taught my stupid child how to twist a knife in someones gut with it's motion sensing technology, it should be banned, banned I say'). And then all those who can only have fun by performing something that is illegal in real life on a computer game will be happy, because 90% of so called adult games are just about that.

If we're really lucky, we'll have what I personally would consider to be a true adult game sometime soon too. Something with a mature story and indepth gameplay that doesn't rely on realistic blood splatters or mammary gland physics to make it adults only. With the pointer possibilities classic point and click adventure could be easily made. Imagine it, a Monkey Island console game that isn't complete and utter rubbish. Dialogue that goes over kiddies heads, humour that borders on too dark, insult swordfighting.... the true ingredients of mature gaming.

We need Conker ;) Bad Fur Day was so funny!

Missed oppurtunities?

Icuic said:
If we're really lucky, we'll have what I personally would consider to be a true adult game sometime soon too. Something with a mature story and indepth gameplay that doesn't rely on realistic blood splatters or mammary gland physics to make it adults only
Urrr.

Myst?
Gabriel Knight?
Nythel?(Not that you would ever be able to play it now)

I know these are all old now(ESPECIALLY Nythel) but there's no way someone younger than 16 or 20 could complete these games without cheating. And they had very indepth gaming. For example: In Nythel you are an occult scholar. You visit a professor friend of yours to return one of his books which you were eagerly reading about demonology. You find his door unlocked and his dead body in a pentagram. Then you have to work out everything else yourself.

some good views coming out from this thread, its good to see what other people think.

The wii is a wicked console And I love it, I didnt start this thread to flame any game or console, just mainly to get other peoples views and have a discussion regarding it.

I was just having a lazy thought while playing the wii hence why I started the thread.

I very much doubt I will get rid of it, as its most defo the most unique console on the market at the moment and it is "fun".

Just role on the new games :)

yes^^ when i said adult games (or atleast teens) i ment something sofisticate. (sp) i like tony hawks (but not the wii one). i consider that to not be a "kiddie" game because your not somthered in, how can it be put, "softened edges"

lol love it haha might give it a whirl :)

Ive had a similar worry but more about every game just being a warioware mini game sort of thing, If I want that ill use my DS.

Other than that I thought Id play Zelda non stop and hardly touch wii sports. In fact I play Wii Sports loads and im largely unimpressed with Zelda.

mull3t said:
I just think its lacking more than other consoles did in the "release" field.
Have you seen the ps3s currently released titles. Can we say *cough*crap*cough*. And I am by no means a ps3 hater (I actually plan on picking one up next year). :)

mull3t said:
Had my Wii now since Launch, I have Marvel Heroes, Zelda, Red Steel, 4X4 Truck Racing, Sports.

Ive started to get real bored of it and have found that up and coming releases and mostly release that are out now (bar zelda) are all kiddy, like the age group of 10-14 should be playing.

Just wanna know if any one else feels like this, dont get me wrong, I understand consoles on launch are poor for games etc, but the Wii is just so wrong, they is no good games coming out for ages, hence my views to sell up.

Far cry is out in Jan here in the UK, splinter cell graphics and gameplay are just poor and not worth the hassle.

Any one else feel the wii is for children more than adults (based on the variety of games available)

well in my experience,if blood spilling,sensless killing,car stealing,drug dealing, and stuff are considered adult games that means im a little kid,and besides most games with those features nowadays sucked terribly.

get a kid and make him try to beat
mario sunshine
metroid prime 1/echoes
any zelda
get all stuff in fzero

so now,please define what a kid game is please.

mull3t said:
Im by no means slating the wii cos its one of the best consoles, I just think its lacking more than other consoles did in the "release" field.
dude,the ps3 have the worst launch line up ever,and ive been in quite a few lunches since the 80's.the 360 launch line up was the same,only oblivion and kameo were decent games.

wii has
zelda AAA game
excitetruck-exccellent game
red steel-good game(not great but try it)
COD 3-ecellent game(on all consoles)
need for speed carbon(good game)
trauma center(excellent game)

for a lunch line up i think thats pretty strong compared to the ps3 rigth now,and even 360 with a year advantage.

Wii is for Everyone

I think the Wii is for EVERYONE. My family went to my best friend's house to meet with them and see their new Wii.

I'm 14, a girly-girl and love the Wii. My sister is a outright tomboy of 9 years and she loves it. My youngest sister, who is 5, loves the bowling game in Wii Sports.

And there's more...my parents (and keep in mind, they're not the game-playing type AT ALL) actually snatch the Wii Remote out of my hand so they can play! They love the active-ness of it, without getting tiring. Heck, my friend's dad (55) loves Tennis on Wii Sports!!

Those are my 100% true experinces...and I LOVE the Wii...I can't wait to see what they come up with next!

Back