Wii looks Terrible

Im playing my wii on a 52" hdtv with no cables and the grapics are great, maybe when you set up the wii when it asked you what picture format you have, you may have hit the wrong one, IDK that really sucks, try different picture sizes and see if that helps

tinklestar said:
watever i dont even no what that means
Or how to spell. :frown2:

What our friend was trying to point out was that you claimed to be using your Wii without any cables going between it and the TV. Quite the magical device you seem to have...

It may b da cables. I recently hooked my wii up to a Hdtv with 3rd party cables it didnt look right either. Contrary to popular belief, the Wii is capable of awesome graphics!
I would say its just da cables or something is just not set right with the HDTV.

Also b4 I get creamed for saying the Wii has awesome graphics, Not all current games will prove dat so far.
But if you check out Iwata ask on Wii.com, the developers and creators of the Wii will change your mind about what the Wii can and cant do.

sremick said:
Or how to spell. :frown2:

What our friend was trying to point out was that you claimed to be using your Wii without any cables going between it and the TV. Quite the magical device you seem to have...
I do know how to spell, sorry if I prefer to use different spelling :mad5:

Obviously, I do have cables coming from my Wii to my TV, what i meant was HD cables, if you had any kind of brain cells you would have known what I meant
ment

Just to be clear:

- The Wii cannot do "high-def". It can only do 480 horizontal lines, same as standard-definition TV
- The Wii can do 480p, eliminating the interlacing and improving the "stability" of the image. While this is a better image, it is not "high-def"
- S-Video cables will look a lot better than the included composite cables. Component cables will look slightly better than S-Video. The improvement depends a lot on the size of your TV: the bigger the TV, the more-noticeable the difference.
- Very few games make use of anti-aliasing. Apparently there are some technical reasons for this. You can basically chalk it up to a hardware limitation.

The lack of high-def and the lack of anti-aliasing means that the Wii will never look as good as the XBox 360 or PS3. Deal with it. You don't buy the Wii for the graphics, you buy it for the games.

Welcome to the wonderful world of LCD sets. If you're looking at the source the set was designed for - it looks fantastic, anything else looks like poopy :)

tinklestar said:
I do know how to spell, sorry if I prefer to use different spelling :mad5:

Obviously, I do have cables coming from my Wii to my TV, what i meant was HD cables, if you had any kind of brain cells you would have known what I meant
ment
You said you had your Wii hooked up to your TV with no cables, plain and simple. Someone who makes up their own spelling and can't communicate a simple idea clearly should be wary of accusing others of lacking brain cells.

SensesFail said:
yeah the wii is VERY jagged.. one of my main bitches about the wii. graphics were smoother on the ps2.

What? Your making him feel as if there isnt anything wrong. Wii sports may not be very smooth, but its no where near as jagged as hes talking about.

Mate the way your speaking, theres something going wrong, it shouldnt be that bad. check setting on both TV and Wii.

Thats why i didnt waste my money on one... you can tell just looking at them in the store....LCD and Plasma's both looked like crap unless they had a really good 1080 HD program running into it... and the bad thing is its not going to get anybetter...

the FCC didnt set standards for 1080 or even 720 HDTV.
just that signal be broadcasted digitally... granted you can get a digital cable/satelite box but still the only HD channels are listed HD the rest are just basic 480i digital signal... "and alot of broadcasters will list 480p as HD as well in the 16:9 format EDTV" thats all they need to meet the new requirements, and it still works fine on a standard t.v.

if you look at a ps3 on a standard tv and a wii on the same tv it looks the same you cant tell much difference from them... and with 90% or more of the population with standard tv's still why waste the money?
"probably why nintendo made the Wii in 480i/P"

You get peopel rushing out buying this stuff because they heard its the best...before its even a standard,let alone before Plasma or LCD even has a few years under its belt... and what do you get.. if your lucky you can watch 50 channels on your 500 channel lineup you pay for, and even then Most HD channels arnt what people consider to be HD... all they are is a 16:9 format

Next time do a little research before buying... durring a time of change you have to get something that will work with the old and the new efficiently... it will be a few years before LCD and Plasma reach there glory and by then the models out now are gonna be obsolete... the most popular HDTV's out in the market are still tube style and DLP projection... both of wich are setup to work with the current standards and the new ones comming out...

even then its a pain, ive got to change the channel on my DLP between HDMI,DVI,Componet,Composite,S-video... for just about everything i do from watching 1080 HD programs down to playing the old school NES. but hey atleast it still works... and all of them look there best...

You cant blame nintendo for Designing there console to work with 90% of the market... thats obviously the smart move because most people dont have an HDTV yet and wont notice the difference anyway... why tack ont he extra cost? "see: Nintendo having 45% of the market share and growing"

You can however blame the people who dont look first before they buy, and now are complaing about 90% of the material comming onto there t.v. not looking "right"

its gonna take some time the FCC says everyone has to broadcast in digital by 2009... so by 2009 everyone will atleast have to be in a 480 digital signal or higher... granted most networks will do the bare minimum unless they have the cash to do otherwise... But another way to compete for viewers is by the signal you put out... so alot will also go to true HD as well...

still i wouldnt expect anything above bare minimum... and untill something is set in stone you want to find something thats supports all of it... by the time 1080p is standard we will be watching it on our 2160P televisions :wink::wink:

Last edited:
If hes messed with the settings and it still looks like garbage he probably wont fix it... your normal DVD's and T.V. channels probably look bad too...

It should be able to upconvert your older stuff to look at the least "good" on the t.v. that includes the Wii... if they all look bad you just got your self a nice shiny new paper weight... "atleast for the next 10 years" i suggest getting plenty of Blue ray and HDDVD movies because its the only other entertaining thing you will be able to do for the next 10 years... if your lucky by then you might have a t.v. that matches the times standards

Ive seen it plenty of times setting up home entertainment systems. People think spend the most get the best... then get mad when they cant watch there B rated t.v. channel because its not in 720 or higher...

sremick said:
Just to be clear:

- The Wii cannot do "high-def". It can only do 480 horizontal lines, same as standard-definition TV
- The Wii can do 480p, eliminating the interlacing and improving the "stability" of the image. While this is a better image, it is not "high-def"
- S-Video cables will look a lot better than the included composite cables. Component cables will look slightly better than S-Video. The improvement depends a lot on the size of your TV: the bigger the TV, the more-noticeable the difference.
- Very few games make use of anti-aliasing. Apparently there are some technical reasons for this. You can basically chalk it up to a hardware limitation.

The lack of high-def and the lack of anti-aliasing means that the Wii will never look as good as the XBox 360 or PS3. Deal with it. You don't buy the Wii for the graphics, you buy it for the games.

I'm sure the Wii is capable of utilizing AA passes, mainly because the GPU in the Gamecube was capable of performing X4 (maybe X8) AA passes on the video with no performance hit. It is likely that the developers didn't actually spend a lot of time developing the first generation games for the Wii, mainly considered it would go the way of the Gamecube.

well, if the problems is not wii's graphics, but picture quality then the settings might not be responsible, you can try to use default wii display cables or connect wii with a different way on the tv to see if it looks the same, or post a picture, so we can know what the _ we are talking about!! :p

Back