WII newbe with questions

Bublhead said:
Wow, I am not the only parent looking for info. I also decided to get a Wii for the family for Christmas, two girls 6 and 3 with mom and dad. What else is recommended to purchase so that we can maximize our wii experience? Could somebody please explain how the "online" works, (ie, do you pay a monthly fee?). Cant wait till Santa comes.

The online access for the Wii is completely free. The only thing you will need to obtain internet access is either:

A.) A wireless signal. (i.e. A router or the Nintendo USB Wifi Adapter)
B.) The LAN connector for the Wii

The channels that use the internet or should I say the WiiConnect24 are:

Forcast Channel
News Channel
Wii Shop Channel
Mii Channel
Everybody Votes Channel
Check Mii Out Channel
Internet Channel

The last three channels are gained through the Wii Shop Channel. All of them are free except the Internet Channel which is only 500 wii points ($5.00USD).

It is very easy to jump online with the Wii. As for communicating or playing with others, you will need to exchange you Wii console number and nickname with another wii owner. The same goes for the online Wii games. Each one will have a different code that you will need to exchange with someone else. The way to tell if a game has online play is when you look at a game case and look at the upper left corner of the case you will see a blue symbol that has WiFi within it.

Jinn K said:
All of them are free except the Internet Channel which is only 500 wii points ($5.00USD).

Jinn K, Thank you very much for the reply. Is it a monthly charge or is it a one time charge of 500 wii points?

Bublhead said:
Jinn K, Thank you very much for the reply. Is it a monthly charge or is it a one time charge of 500 wii points?

It's just a one-time charge for the Internet Channel.

Tiger Woods game is very tricky sometimes u miss the ball completely, aim to far, hit to hard, and its really challenging do not but unless you are really into golf. I also recommend Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Guitar Hero 3, Resident Evil 4(mature), Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles(mature) Metroid Prime Corruption 3, Super Mario Strikers Charged, Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi 3 and the best game that will come out in my mind, Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Anyone have or played Star Wars Lego? Is it worth buying?

It's a safe bet to say without even looking at any reviews that Star Wars Lego is not worth buying. Get rid of Spongebob and possibly Spiderman for Metroid Prime 3 Corruption or Resident Evil 4

Last edited:
ARav... Star Wars Lego games can actually be very entertaining, especially if you are into Star Wars, they make a joke of the StarWars trilogy, and make for some entertaining games.

Anyone that's new to the Wii, try to avoid being sucked into too many 'aftermarket' accessories. 90% of the time they are not needed and a waste of money. These include: Wireless Sensor Bars, Wii Gloves, Wii Gun Holders, Wii Sports Packs, Wii Cooling Fans, Wii Controller Skins...
You WILL need rechargable batteries however, so if you MUST have a docking station for the remotes, then so be it, but most accessories for Wii are unecessary cash -ins, and your money is better spent on games.

As for games for the kids, I'd recommend Mario Party 8 and WiiSports (which you get for free). Check youtube.com for Wii videos, and you will see many children and families playing WiiSports, it truly can be played by anyone (my 80yr old grandpa included).

Another parent here getting into the high tech gaming world for the kids and would need suggestion from you folks. What would be a good 4 player game for 2 girls 12 and 10 likes GCs Mario and the Bongo Drums, 1 a 6 yr old boy (he loves GCs Need for Speed) and either one of the parents early 40s work home work home type? Yes, I have 4 pairs of these not cheap controllers... Any suggestions would be great:smilewinkgrin:

Get Need for Speed Pro Street. Mario Party 8, and Resident Evil: UC. Also consider Mario and Sonic at the Olympics... its gimmicky but its still fun.

instead of getting another wiimote if u get wiiplay it comes with a wiimote and a few minigames for $50 (wiimotes cost $40)

mario party is a good multiplayer game

big brain academy is another fun family game

mario galaxy is great
but i would be cautious getting zelda as it isnt easy for an unexperienced gamers

star wars lego is more for starwar fans then lego fans

charging station is a must if u dont wanna buy double a batterys often

sports pack attachments are fun for 5 seconds and after that it wont b used

wiiplay(with an extra wiimote)
mario party
mario galaxy
big brain academy

are a few good games to start with

some one should start a thread for parents

Back