Wii newbie -- backwards compatibility with DS

hoganj

WiiChat Member
Oct 7, 2007
I am giving my ten year old a WII for his birthday today. I read a snipped on wikipedia about it being backwards compatible with Nintendo DS.

My son is convinced it isn't -- if it is how do we make it work? I read about a game cube cable -- is that what's needed?

How can we make his DS games work on the Wii? Or can we?

is it just saying that one can use the DS console with Wii games? I'm confused.

You can't play DS games on your Wii unfortunately. What you've read is that the DS can interact with the Wii for certain games, the only game that does this currently is Pokemon Battle Revolution. You can bring your Pokemon from your DS to your Wii wirelessly and use the DS as a controller apparently. Other then that their are no other DS to Wii connective games, lets hope games in the future further develop this feature.

what about the gamecube cable

Again, keep in mind the last video game I played was galaga in about 1982

I was excited by Pong.

But, I founds this on wikipedia

The Wii console is backward compatible with all official Nintendo GameCube software, as well as Nintendo GameCube Memory Cards and controllers. Compatibility with software is achieved with the slot-loading drive's ability to accept Nintendo GameCube Game Discs. The console supports progressive-scan output in 480p-enabled Nintendo GameCube titles. Peripherals can be connected via a set of four GameCube controller ports and two Memory Card slots concealed by removable flip-open panels.[1] The console is therefore compatible with the Game Boy Advance and e-Reader through the Game Boy Advance Cable. A GameCube controller is required to play GameCube titles, as neither the Wii Remote nor the Classic Controller functions in this capacity. A Nintendo GameCube Memory Card is also necessary to save, as the Wii internal flash memory will not save GameCube games.

It sounds like if we still have a gameboy advance we can make them interact? Or am I again not reading correctly?

Those can Interact too.

Game Boy Advance.
Gameboy SP.
Nintendo DS.

They can all interact with the Wii if you have the right cable (I don't believe a cable is needed for the DS though) and if you have the game it can interact with for both the portable system and the home console.

Edit: I'm not positive, but if you're still having a little troubles with this, then the Wii manual might have something in it. I'm not absolutly sure, but it's worth a shot. =/

Look for more Wii games to be used with the DS or have some sort of interaction.
Its bound to happen.

hoganj said:
Again, keep in mind the last video game I played was galaga in about 1982

I was excited by Pong.

But, I founds this on wikipedia

The Wii console is backward compatible with all official Nintendo GameCube software, as well as Nintendo GameCube Memory Cards and controllers. Compatibility with software is achieved with the slot-loading drive's ability to accept Nintendo GameCube Game Discs. The console supports progressive-scan output in 480p-enabled Nintendo GameCube titles. Peripherals can be connected via a set of four GameCube controller ports and two Memory Card slots concealed by removable flip-open panels.[1] The console is therefore compatible with the Game Boy Advance and e-Reader through the Game Boy Advance Cable. A GameCube controller is required to play GameCube titles, as neither the Wii Remote nor the Classic Controller functions in this capacity. A Nintendo GameCube Memory Card is also necessary to save, as the Wii internal flash memory will not save GameCube games.

It sounds like if we still have a gameboy advance we can make them interact? Or am I again not reading correctly?

You can play Gameboy games on the Wii using this

Doesn't say anything about DS games though.

hoganj said:
I am giving my ten year old a WII for his birthday today. I read a snipped on wikipedia about it being backwards compatible with Nintendo DS.

My son is convinced it isn't -- if it is how do we make it work? I read about a game cube cable -- is that what's needed?

How can we make his DS games work on the Wii? Or can we?

is it just saying that one can use the DS console with Wii games? I'm confused.

I think you confused your self. the wii is compatible with the DS but only for the DS to Wii mode which right now is only used in Pokemon Battle Revolution. now you can play game cube games that can play in progressive scan mode or 480p through you wii. but for this you must have a EDTV or HDTV (ED means Enhanced Definition which is the wii's native analog standard.) If you have the wii right now I suggest you read the manual. oh and you might want to buy the wii now seeing as the demand is so high that the wii doesnt stay in the store that lnog before its bought.

Budo said:
You can play Gameboy games on the Wii using this

Doesn't say anything about DS games though.

I bought that. How does it plug into the Wii?

I think with that you still need an actual Gamecube

you plug it where the gamecube memory card goes
setupGCNmemoryCardInsert.gif

The image shows where you connect the Gamecube controls and where the memory card goes

hoganj said:
I bought that. How does it plug into the Wii?

I think with that you still need an actual Gamecube

Doesn't sound so good:
What Wii News doesn't tell you is that the Datel Advance Game Port is a buggy mess. In our reviews of the discontinued hardware, games ran with inconsistent slowdown, laggy controls and audio problems.

Seeing as DS is still 'current gen.' and that it is a portable gaming device, wouldn't that make the wii and DS "Sideways Compatable?"

Just providing a bit of controversy :wink:

reche said:
you plug it where the gamecube memory card goes
The image shows where you connect the Gamecube controls and where the memory card goes

Thanks

I didn't realize that flap lifted up.

No you can't just yet, but Nintendo is working on a DS DEMO channel for the wii. This will work like the demo stations in some shops, wirelessly beaming ds demos for you to play on your DS. This is set to come out by the end of november in japan, so it could be out by christmas in the US and who know when in europe. Hope that helps!

Back