Wii not Region Free

Wii_Rulez

Waluigi The Great
Jun 12, 2006
SC
Wii Online Code
3498-5538-0554-5440
In spite of rumors (and confirmation) to the contrary, it turns out that the Nintendo Wii will not be region-free as had previously been reported.

A Ninteno Spokesperson told GamesIndustry.biz this afternoon: "We are region-locked," and said the US arm of the company had made a mistake in saying otherwise. So no importing crazy Wii games from Japan for you, son.

Source

WTF!!!!! If this is true nintendo is everytime getting worst since yesterday!
(we have to admit it).

dosent sound true at all
it turns out that the Nintendo Wii will not be region-free as had previously been reported
that sounds so fake, no reason, no nothing

Arcadium said:
WTF!!!!! If this is true nintendo is everytime getting worst since yesterday!
(we have to admit it).

1. How has news gotten worse since yesterday. Why would want to order a game from a country in which you can't speak the laungue.

2. It's not fake beacuse The Feed on G4's website would say if any article is a rumor and if they don't it's true until proven other wise.

That's not what I heard, I heard that All Nintendo made games will be region free, but 3rd party publishers still have the same regions

turpentine said:
the idea now is that us and japan is one region, and europe is the other.
Seriously, turpentine? That would be great.

PiRatCollective said:
That's not what I heard, I heard that All Nintendo made games will be region free, but 3rd party publishers still have the same regions
I think you're right, PiRatCollective.

Wii_Rulez, for the most part I agree that there's no real point in getting a game that is presented in a language you can't understand, but there have been quite a few Japanese games that were only available for Japan that were really cool.

However, the only Japanese game I have and want to play is Vib-Ribbon, which I can't yet play because I don't know which mod-chip to get to play it on my American NTSC PS2.:(

Last edited:
We have diffrent plugs and a higher power out put (most noobs find this out by byeing a ntsc console and pluging it it)

It's all likely to be region-fixed. It has to do with TV standards (which is the main reason handhelds usually aren't region coded, no TV to worry about), as well as primairy languages. Region-coding makes a programmer's life a lot easier.

m7ticalm said:
Maybe all the games with online play are region fixed while the non online games are region free

That's how I interpreted it to be honest, but the information that is out there is so conflicting! Very confusing!

NateTheGreat said:
Seriously, turpentine? That would be great.

I think you're right, PiRatCollective.

Wii_Rulez, for the most part I agree that there's no real point in getting a game that is presented in a language you can't understand, but there have been quite a few Japanese games that were only available for Japan that were really cool.

However, the only Japanese game I have and want to play is Vib-Ribbon, which I can't yet play because I don't know which mod-chip to get to play it on my American NTSC PS2.:(

the US arm of the company had made a mistake in saying otherwise
So the first time that was announced was a mistake. I think the Bleach game might a Jap exclusive cuz the DS version was and I really want them both, but that's never going to happen.

well japan has the same plugs and electrical output as the US.
australia might too... i think they have bent in one? I'm not sure, never been there.

Wii_Rulez said:
So the first time that was announced was a mistake. I think the Bleach game might a Jap exclusive cuz the DS version was and I really want them both, but that's never going to happen.
The DS IS region free, so you CAN get the DS version of Bleach.

Back