Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Wii on a HDTV somewhat a dissapointment

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by pluto2, Feb 2, 2008.

1. pluto2

pluto2 WiiChat Member

Hi folks!

I've been playing my wii on an old CRT tv for over a year, finally I bought a new LCD TV and had high expectations of how good it would look with component cables. It wasn't quite like that. I know the wii can't output anything higher than 480p but I was still kind of disappointed. The picture really looks upscaled, I can really tell, edges and lines etc looks "pixelized" (not smooth).

What are your experiences here of the Wii on a LCD TV? I guess that the result could differ abit regarding how well the TV smoothes out the lower resolution but I have a hard time seeing how it would look perfect on any LCD. Mine is a Sony bravia 32". What are your experiences? I was like :yikes: when I first realized how bad it looked. It certainly looks better on a CRT in regard to edges, that's for sure.

Kristian

2. kwirges

kwirges WiiChat Member

I just got my Wii yesterday and was pretty shocked to see the "jaggies" and pixelation on my 42" Sharp Aquos. I have been playing XBOX 360 for about a year now and am used to the high definition graphics that is sends at 1080i to my LCD. I knew that the Wii was not an HD machine - but I wasn't expecting graphics to be this choppy. Obviously, I will learn to deal with it since the gameplay is so much fun. However, I am still disappointed in the graphics for this console. Even Super Mario Galaxy is pretty bad on my tv :shocked:

3. FR.

FR. Moderator

Wii Friend Code: 4253-4708-4555-0363
    4253-4708-4555-0363
    I'm using a 26" Widescreen Sony Bravia LCD TV equipped with HD. Here's what I say when it comes to the Wii and TVs: "The smaller the screen, the better." You see, on a smaller screen (ans since the Wii can't output 480p), everything looks condensed and as you say, the edges are smoother, you are completely correct. My friend has a huge 50" HDTV and a Wii...look horrible. On my 26" TV, it looks a lot better.

4. pluto2

pluto2 WiiChat Member

That's what I've heard from several sources now so I guess that's just the way it is, but if it's this bad, I'm even more surprised why nintendo didn't care about higher resolution graphics, I mean, a year or 2 from now, most will have a HD tv, and this won't play well with the wii.

Don't get me wrong, the wii is still fun as hell to play, and it doesn't look completelly AWFUL, but it sure as heck isn't something you call "good".

5. pluto2

pluto2 WiiChat Member

well at least I'm glad I didn't buy a 37 incher or even worse, a 42, I would have needed a soccer field between the tv and me to be able to play :p

6. huscos

huscos WiiChat Member

Sorry guys, I think it is your TVs. I have a 46 inch Sony Bravia and the Wii looks beautiful on it. Yes, some games have jaggies, but those are the ones that didn't put much into graphics (Tiger Woods, Wii Sports). I just put it on 480i for those games.

7. Dinner

Dinner Reading Rainbow

Wii Friend Code: 2878-9257-8140-1234
    2878-9257-8140-1234
    Yeah agreed, thats why I only use the CRT TV for the Wii and PS3 + 360 on my LCD TV. Hate looking at the jaggies :(

8. jamesmc

jamesmc WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 4562-8140-8661-9096
    4562-8140-8661-9096
    I got my Wii on 2007 Christmas, and I'v had an LCD tv since 2006 Chirstmas, I find the graphics are fine on my tv, Samsung LCD 32 inch.

9. wezeles

wezeles Guru of everything Ninty

Wii Friend Code: 6074-3351-1151-1701
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    There are plenty of post on the same subject look them up on the ways to fix it... It is your t.v's upconverter and not the Wiis fault...

Granted the Wii isnt going to be as breath taking as a True HD content but if it looks straight up bad like something is wrong its your T.V.!

And if the Wii looks bad on your T.V. then all the T.V. channels that are not HD would look even worse! Look into different settings and better upconverters/scalers to fix this issue...

If the Wii doesn't look good, then 90% of everything else you watch on the same t.v. isn't going to look good, and unless you use the t.v. soley for Gaming I would be more upset about all the bad channels that then anything.
    Do your reseach next time you buy a t.v. and check it out. HDTV is not the current standard, its a future standard with little saturation of the market so far.

Buying an HDTV thats only good showing HD content is a bad idea, your gonna have to pay to fix it or wait a good 10-15 years to be 100% happy with it. :lol: :lol:

#9 wezeles, Feb 2, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  10. Apple Guy

Apple Guy WiiChat Member

I have a 27" lcd hdtv and mines looks good
    Maybe its your tv

11. beamolite

beamolite WiiChat Member

I have a 42" Westinghouse LCD HDTV Monitor and my wii looks great on it. Are you using component cables or RCA cables?

12. WiitnessID

WiitnessID WiiChat Member

I have a 42 inch smasung DLP displays like a dream! It does have extra tech in it to smooth stuff out yet it still has all the details. I'd never go with an straight up LCD unless I need to do graphics editing or unless the system actually out puts the native resolution. Welcome to HD my friends!

13. kx5

kx5 4424-9954-3124-7796

Wii Friend Code: 4424-9954-3124-7796
    4424-9954-3124-7796
    i have a 73 inch HDTV and my Wii rocks on that Tv. it is not as good as looking out my window but nothing outside my window takes a Wiimote

14. wezeles

6074-3351-1151-1701
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Im sure the neighbor lady would get sick of you making her jump and kick anyways..

15. Sterculius

Sterculius WiiChat Member

Same with me, my wii looks perfect. I have a 32" lcd. Must be a matter of television type.

16. lasher702

lasher702 WiiChat Member

I have a 42" HDTV Sony and I have no problems with they way it looks, it is far more "pretty" then the cheap SDTV Orion it was hooked up to before. Also "jaggies" you guys are spoiled I remember when Nintendo first came out and you were hoping that the movement wasn't restricted to up left right down and maybe just maybe you would move diagonal let alone "jaggies" appearing on the screen. Hell we hoped the damn system would burn an imagine into our screens. Less whiney more have funny. :)

17. WiitnessID

WiitnessID WiiChat Member

LOl man do I remember those days! Really though you guys are getting bite with the cheap HDtv thing and some of these TVs are designed to make sd look bad on purpose so that more HD content is sold for them which makes them more important.

18. kwirges

kwirges WiiChat Member

There is nothing wrong with my tv - as Bluray movies, XBOX 360, and High Definition programming look amazing. My Sharp Aquos 42" television has been configured and tweaked to viewing perfection. Standard definition programming looks great as well! The average viewer (like my wife) would view the graphics as great. However, I expect a little more out of top-of-the-line equipment and expected the graphics of the Wii to be a little better. Unfortunately, after playing other consoles that are high definition, jagged lines in games stick out like a sore thumb - and a larger screen tends to magnify them. Don't get me wrong, the games are fun - I'm just disappointed in the graphics for a next gen console.

19. wezeles

6074-3351-1151-1701
    Thats just because it is on an HDTV thats what everyone is telling you... if you tossed it on a SDTV or EDTV you wouldnt say it was jagged because it wouldn't be...

Obviously your HD content looks better if not amazing on an HDTV lol wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

SD and ED are not jagged at all when played in the proper format,. If the Wii or any other SD, ED content looks jagged it is because your HDTV isn't able to upconvert the SD and ED format properly on your t.v.

Thats why you hear 2 sides of this story even on the same types of t.v's, it all has to do with how good of a upconverter/scaler is in the t.v,. and not that the format is just too crappy to be even viewable on an HDTV.... LOL... Thats the snobby attitude they hope you to get so you just keep on buying the new HDTV products.

Its buisness, they will do anything to make a buck and they will do anything to save a buck... in this case they get to do both by gipping you outta a decent upconverter and selling you an HDTV... only way to fix it is to spend more money and buy and external upconverter and keep on supportin the MAN... ha ha

20. Transfixed

Transfixed WiiChat Member

Yup, it's definitely your guys' TV's.
    I have a 40" Samsung LCD HDTV, and for the most part, the Wii looks great. Obviously not 360-great, but great nonetheles....I had a bit of an issue with Zelda:TP, as it seemed to be made of horizontal lines that made things "crisper" but also more jagged.
    However, other games such as Metroid Prime 3 just flat-out looked GREAT, as did Super Mario Galaxy. The graphics were excellent.
    So if these games don't look awesome with the component cables (red/blue/green) then it's your TV's fault, not the Wii!
    Guaranteed.