Wii on HD

jediknight

Long Live the NES
Oct 20, 2007
Hi - for the first time I am thinking of buying an HDTV - I have been a proud owner of the Wii since launch and I want to know if this move is going to destroy my gaming experience.

The TV I am looking into is a 37" Widescreen LCD HDTV - it is 720p/1080i with a 1200:1 contrast ratio, progressive scanning - 1366 x 768 resolution. It also has 3D comb filter and 3-2 pulldown processing.
It does have HDMI, coponen video, S-video with analog audi.

I know the highest the Wii can play on is 480p. - Right now it is awesome on my regular "standard" tv but how would my Wii games look on this TV?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Nintendo 4 Life!

If you buy the HD cable thingy it might look a bit better.
My opinion is buying a bigger TV is always good and in this day and age HDTV is the way to go. Plus if you buy an Xbox your new TV will be there waiting.

Hi,

I have my Wii set up on my 60" Sony HDTV and it is awesome! The non-interlaced progessive scanning makes a big difference to me, even at 480 resolution.

Most games do play at 16:9, but some don't - just be aware of that - and be aware that you'll have to modify all of your display settings of the Wii system - and get a cable that will allow you to use the 480P res output produced by your Wii.

Oh - one game that is a combination 16:9 and 3:4 is Mario Party 8. The main scenes are in widescreen and the minigames are in 4:3. Strange but it works.

You can try using your TV format buttom to have it do the widescreen now, but be warned that the clarity is not there at all.

Good Luck,

Kentomodo - who just loves playing Wii on his widescreen. :yesnod:

Wii_Smurf said:
60" TV? Or Projector. A TV would be massive haha. Someone has money xD

xD - I'm 51 - retired on a Disability - and Wii is one of my few enjoyments in life. In April I bought a 60 inch Sony SXRD Project TV for my Family Room. And it is awesome - and terrific for playing Wii Video Games.

Ken

Games in purchase order (with my ratings)

1. Wii Sports :yesnod:
2. Wii Play :yesnod:
3. Rapala Tournament Fishing :nonod:
4. Chicken Shoot :wtf:
5. Mario Party 8 :cool:
6. Legend of Zelda :confused:
7. Carnival :smilewinkgrin:
8. Rayman Raving Rabbids :yikes:
9. Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz :smilewinkgrin:
10. Tamagotchi: Party On! :)
11. Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party :cool:
12. Super Paper Mario :yesnod:
13. Thrillville: Off the Rails :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

kentomodo said:
xD - I'm 51 - retired on a Disability - and Wii is one of my few enjoyments in life. In April I bought a 60 inch Sony SXRD Project TV for my Family Room. And it is awesome - and terrific for playing Wii Video Games.

Ken

Games in purchase order (with my ratings)

1. Wii Sports :yesnod:
2. Wii Play :yesnod:
3. Rapala Tournament Fishing :nonod:
4. Chicken Shoot :wtf:
5. Mario Party 8 :cool:
6. Legend of Zelda :confused:
7. Carnival :smilewinkgrin:
8. Rayman Raving Rabbids :yikes:
9. Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz :smilewinkgrin:
10. Tamagotchi: Party On! :)
11. Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party :cool:
12. Super Paper Mario :yesnod:
13. Thrillville: Off the Rails :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hahaha, excellent rating system Ken! :D I had fun trying to de-code it. When our 50" Sony LCD projector migrates upstairs, we'll likely upgrade to a newer 55-60" downstairs.

Good to see adult owners enjoying the Wii (just like us!).

~DT

that tv must look pretty sweet, if you have grandkids they're pretty lucky lol

Personally i prefer to play my wii on a low def, simply because:
When you use the componet cables, the view becomes blocky.
When you use your wii in low def, the image looks smoother, that is my preference, yours might be otherwise.

jediknight said:
The TV I am looking into is a 37" Widescreen LCD HDTV - it is 720p/1080i with a 1200:1 contrast ratio, progressive scanning - 1366 x 768 resolution. It also has 3D comb filter and 3-2 pulldown processing.
It does have HDMI, coponen video, S-video with analog audi.

The above is basically the set I have (a 37" LCD Sharp). We have it mounted on the wall (about eye level) with no furniture in front. This setup works great for all the Wii Sports and Tiger Woods Golf. I'm using the component cables for the 480i resolution. I think they perform better than just using the stock composite cables.

While a bigger set might be nice, for my money, the 37" screen does the trick. I see a lot of big screen sets (44"-60"+) and I think most of them overpower the room. Our main screen is a 40" in our family room and the 37" is in our game room.

Im about to hook mine up to a hi-def LCD. i have seen it on my mate's top of the line Sony 42" LCD, and it looks absolutely sweet, excellent colours and sharpness. And this was BEFORE Component Cables were used!
Only downside I can think of with the Wii on a HD TV is that most of the Wii's textures are fairly low res, meaning even with a high-res TV theyre going to look blurry/pixelly. I think on my 22" LCD this problem wont be so exaggerated, but certainly on 32"+ this bluriness may annoy you and certainly wont be as noticable if you were using a Standard-Def TV.
(My Wii is currently hooked upto our non-hidef 55" rear-projector, which is about 3yrs old and blurry as, plus the colours are a bit off, and there is some edge softness-moreso than the rest of the image...compared to this setup any higher def LCD will look good) ;)
I'd have to recommend the Sony LCD though, it does a great job of upscaling the lower res 480p output. (Its the one with the see thru surround).

youcannotspellit said:
Personally i prefer to play my wii on a low def, simply because:
When you use the componet cables, the view becomes blocky.
When you use your wii in low def, the image looks smoother, that is my preference, yours might be otherwise.

EXACTLY! My case in point. I have a Sony Bravia HDTV and playing the Wii through its supplied A/V cables works great and looks real awesome. I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference if I were to use the component cables instead. Plus my tv's mounted so it's difficult just trying to get the component cables on the back. Rather my A/V hookups are on the side of the tv which makes plugging and playing EASY!

Back