Wii on PC Monitor

Booshnig

WiiChat Member
Mar 19, 2008
I'm not sure if this is brought up a lot, but I'm very confused.
I purchased a computer with a TV card (composite and s-video inputs), and would like to play my Wii using my computer monitor (22" lcd http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8739092&type=product&id=1201913867402).
However, I'm not sure what software I should be using to actually view my Wii. I've tried loading up WinDVR and setting it to composite/s-video, but nothing came up. WinDVR is also giving me an error saying "Overlay is not available."
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
You would use whatever software came with your TV-in card. This varies from card to card. As does quality.

It sounds like there is a problem with your card. I'd contact their tech support.

Is it a TV-in card or a regular TV card? For example, could you pull up a movie on your computer and output it to a big screen tv using the s-video/composite cables? Thats what most of them are. I have an ATI card, so when I want to put something from my computer onto my big screen, I right click on the Desktop, Properties, Settings, then Advanced. Go in there and mess around a little bit with whatever settings you have because it's a hardware thing, nothing to do with WinDVR. However as far as I know that just allows you to ATTACH displays to your system, not vice versa. Otherwise you might have to find some software that would specifically do this. Hope this helps

Booshnig said:
I'm not sure if this is brought up a lot, but I'm very confused.
I purchased a computer with a TV card (composite and s-video inputs), and would like to play my Wii using my computer monitor (22" lcd http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8739092&type=product&id=1201913867402).
However, I'm not sure what software I should be using to actually view my Wii. I've tried loading up WinDVR and setting it to composite/s-video, but nothing came up. WinDVR is also giving me an error saying "Overlay is not available."
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you're thinking about playing Wii on your computer, don't.

Computers =/= TV's so there's always at least a 1 second delay from you hitting the button and the screen showing that you hit the button.

Just use a TV. It's not worth the lag, IMO.

(you can always watch TV on your computer instead...)

I've managed to get video using composite with WinAVI Video Capture. However, Audio is still mute :(
The delay isn't that bad (can still beat level 9's in brawl), but is there a way to shorten it? Like using a composite -> VGA/DVI converter?
I don't have a TV next to my computer, and I'd like to be able to use skype/vent while playing Brawl.

I'd imagine the only way to play Wii on a monitor without any sort of delay would be to use a VGA box. Since it's not software-based, there should theoretically be no delay.

Through a TV tuner card, however, you have to use software, obviously. No g00d for the gamings.

Just ordered a 22" widescreen monitor and a component VGA box on ebay on Wednesday night. I'll let you folks know how it looks/plays when they arrive next week. (Hopefully!)

Back