Wii Online Options

Oblivion1989

WiiChat Member
Dec 2, 2006
ok so i get my wii at 12:00am on friday the 8th and i need to know my options for getting my wii online.

i do not have wireless internet i have ethernet cable connection.
this means i will need to purchase something to get my wii online.
Option 1) Nintendo wi-fi usb adaptor
Option 2) wifi Max usb adapter for the psp
Option 3) wifi max usb adaptor for the DS
Option 4) ethernet to usb adaptor to plug in my ethernet cable directly into the wii

so i have some questions.
1) whats the best option?
2) if i am using a nintendo or wifi max usb adaptor that is plugged into my pc when my pc is turned off this means that the usb is not functioning thus not sending a wireless signal ? this means that my wii will not be able to recieve messages when turned off ?
3) whats the difference between the nintendo wi-fi usb and the wifi max for the psp and the wifi max for the DS?
4) if i get a ethernet to usb adaptor and plug in direct to the wii will it work better ? than the wifi usb adaptors ?

Oblivion1989 said:
ok so i get my wii at 12:00am on friday the 8th and i need to know my options for getting my wii online.

i do not have wireless internet i have ethernet cable connection.
this means i will need to purchase something to get my wii online.
Option 1) Nintendo wi-fi usb adaptor
Option 2) wifi Max usb adapter for the psp
Option 3) wifi max usb adaptor for the DS
Option 4) ethernet to usb adaptor to plug in my ethernet cable directly into the wii
Option 5) Wireless router

so i have some questions.
1) whats the best option?
2) if i am using a nintendo or wifi max usb adaptor that is plugged into my pc when my pc is turned off this means that the usb is not functioning thus not sending a wireless signal ? this means that my wii will not be able to recieve messages when turned off ?
3) whats the difference between the nintendo wi-fi usb and the wifi max for the psp and the wifi max for the DS?
4) if i get a ethernet to usb adaptor and plug in direct to the wii will it work better ? than the wifi usb adaptors ?

1) Option 5
2) Correct
3) Wii and DS are the same, not familiar with the PSP one
4) In the computer world, Wired is always better then wireless. It is yet to be seen how the wireless will effect gameplay. I assume it is fine as long as the wireless connection stays strong.

Hope that helps,

-Bobby

I use Nintendo wi-fi usb adaptor which I like the best since you can still go on the Web on your computer too which most routers are just on cable meaning only your compter has the web or your Wii does.
And the USB Adaptor is not slow its just as fast as the other ways to connect.

micster said:
Get the official Wi-Fi adapter cos Wifi MAX sucks ASS
Agreed 100% I tried the WiFi Max and it just gave me problems, so i asked someone at a local store and he said to go to best buy and get the Nintendo USB adapter because they didnt have any there, and thats what he had done, so I went to Best Buy, bought one and it was set up and working in about 5 minutes tops, most of the time was just waiting to install it on the computer

~Blu

JerrodDRagon said:
I use Nintendo wi-fi usb adaptor which I like the best since you can still go on the Web on your computer too which most routers are just on cable meaning only your compter has the web or your Wii does.
And the USB Adaptor is not slow its just as fast as the other ways to connect.

I'm not sure where exactly you got your information, but with a wireless router you can connect just about as many devices to it as you want. Your computer and your Wii can definitely connect at the same time. In addition, most, if not all, wireless routers also function as a 4 port switch. So you can also connect 4 wired devices to them.

However, with any of the USB adapters you can only connect your with your Wii while the computer is on.

stuckshut said:
I'm not sure where exactly you got your information, but with a wireless router you can connect just about as many devices to it as you want. Your computer and your Wii can definitely connect at the same time. In addition, most, if not all, wireless routers also function as a 4 port switch. So you can also connect 4 wired devices to them.

However, with any of the USB adapters you can only connect your with your Wii while the computer is on.

This is true, didn't mention that, my computer is always on so yeah...anyways if its possible to keep your computer on when you want to be connected I would go with the Nintendo adapter. I have wireless internet but I was getting some weird errors and after about 2 hrs I got the internet working and such, then the next day I went to connect and got an error and was like "F*** this" which is when I checked out the adapters.

~Blu

if i get a nintendo wifi usb and someone sends me a message when my wii and pc are off will the message be delivered when i turn on, or will it just be discarded?

Oblivion1989 said:
do you have a reason for saying this ?
Because i bought it
It dident work

Tried another computer
It dident work

Tried ALL the help avalible
STILL dident work

Thought 'Fook this' so sent Wifi MAX back

micster said:
Because i bought it
It dident work

Tried another computer
It dident work

Tried ALL the help avalible
STILL dident work

Thought 'Fook this' so sent Wifi MAX back

ok thats cool wifi max is a no go.

anyone know anything about
Oblivion1989 said:
if i get a nintendo wifi usb and someone sends me a message when my wii and pc are off will the message be delivered when i turn on, or will it just be discarded?

Oblivion1989 said:

Neither. It will not be delivered because your Wii is not connected to the internet (computer is off). It will also not discard it. The messages will wait on the Nintendo server until your Wii connects to the internet again. At that time all the waiting messages will be put into message box.

-Bobby

Back