Wii Online with D-Link DI-624M?

Corpus

WiiChat Member
Jan 5, 2007
Wii Online Code
1625-0339-0761-7791
I purchased a D-Link DI-624M specifically with wireless connection on the DS and Wii in mind after reading various statements on the internet saying that it worked out of the box with both.

It doesn't. It also won't work with my brother's PSP. With all three systems I get an error message back saying that no IP address was assigned by the network. I have DHCP enabled, so I don't know why this is happening.:mad2:

Does anyone have experience with this router (or with something like the DI-624, since I assume they work very similarly) who can help me out?

What follows is all router-related, rather than strictly Wii-related, so I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help me with this on here:
I'm not sure my settings are even being put into practice by the router. It certainly saves them - they all appear correctly, as I have defined them, every time I open up the control panel, even after turning off. However, even when I have changed the SSID and activated WEP encription, the access point appears on both my DS and Wii as being unlocked and named 'default'. For the Wii, I have also attempted to activate WPA, but this only resulted in an error code telling me that I entered the wrong WPA key (I checked, and I entered it all correctly.)

Furthermore, upon changing some settings, including those involving DHCP, the router resets and the computer asks me to "wait 200 seconds," or whatever the exact period of time is. However, once it's finished, it enters into a loop wherein it basically resets itself every 20 seconds. I then have to unplug it and plug it in again, manually reset, plug connections into my old wired router and then back into the wireless router before it starts working again, and even then half the time the computer tells me that the network adapter has a poor connection and cannot connect to the internet, as a result of not being assigned an IP address. :(

Oh, also, when I manually reset the router, all of my settings remain intact. It's meant to restore it to factory settings.

It's all very worrying. Oh, and my two computers are connected to the router by ethernet cable, not wirelessly.

bump >.>

Yep. I've tried connecting with factory settings, turning on MAC filtering and adding the Wii's MAC address to the list, and entering the IP, subnet, gateway and DNS manually. Oh, I've also tried changing the channel from 6 to 11, and setting SuperG (well, the connection type, I think that's what it's called -- I'm on my wired router at the minute) both to 'off' and to 'without Turbo', which is something the Nintendo site recommended.

I suppose I might have to set a static IP in the DHCP settings, but really I shouldn't have to, since DHCP is enabled and covers *.*.*.100 to *.*.*.199. Also, I'm pretty sure I tried to do that earlier today and it was one of the things that causes the router to do its restarting routine which culminates in the router going back into its loop of self-resetting every 20 seconds which renders it totally useless until I play around with it enough for it to decide to work properly. :mad2:

Flat out, a router should not get stuck into a reset cycle. I return the unit if possible, as it's very likely the unit is damaged.

Yeah, I've been worried that I would have to do that :(

If only google worked when you want it to. Before I bought this thing I read a guy explaining how he got it to work with the Wii, but I never thought to favourite the page..

Anyone have any ideas whatsoever?

EDIT: Okay, I just came across these settings. Is there anything in here that I should change?

settings.GIF

Last edited:
Avoid the DI-624M

Avoid the DI-624M as if it were carrying multiple leathal doses of Anthrax and had a bad case of Herpes Simplex 10.
I would rather recommend using old telephone books as hotdog condiments than recommend this router. :mad2:

See my blog at http://slorge.blogspot.com/2007/01/di-624msuckage-defined.html
for my router story with pictures of the non-stop popups that come pre-embedded in the hardware. I've been a network technician and PC support engineer for over 10 years, so I know it's not my machines.:prrr:

I don't own a Wii, though I'd like to. But I can't even get half of my PC systems to work correctly on this p.o.s. (that's not shinola, kids) Aside from the continuous "built in" popups, the thing has lousy wireless range. I'm acutally posting my reviews of this router everywhere I can because D-link support basically said "Live with it" and "we'll notify our engineers that a firmware upgrade is needed". Like that's ever gonna happen.

Last edited:
Back