wii online WITHOUT a pc???

DARKFIRE007

WiiChat Member
Apr 25, 2007
birmingham alabama
Wii Online Code
2605-8397-8634-8176
this problem is slowly dirving me insane. im online and everything is good, but i want to get my wii online at my friends house. im there every weekend beating him up on the wii.

problem is, he does not have a pc. and the wii cant find an access point. i have spent some 30 odd hours looking for solutions to get online over there. everything that looks promising requires the use of a pc.........antennas that have to go to a pc or be hardwired to the wii (im NOT gonna try to hardwire a bigger antenna on my wii). same thing with repeaters, gotta use a pc.

im looking at two ways to do it, but i just dont know if it will work.

the first...a wireless router will produce an access point even if not connected to a pc, you just cant connect to it of course. BUT what if i attach the cantenna to it?? (commercial version of the pringles can antenna)

the cantenna may pick up the access points and be sent out along with the routers access point that isnt connected.

the second...i have HIGH hopes for this one. the wii wireless card is only like a 2db gain. i found what they call a passive wifi antenna on ebay, its 8db. you do NOT connect it to anything. it has two ends, one to recieve and one to transmit. according to the auction, all you gotta do is set the transmitting end near the wii, and the recieving end in the direction of a hot spot.

here is the link to this antenna. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...tToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

please give me some input, if you know if these options will work or not, or if you have a better idea.........im ALL EARS. im running out of ideas and sanity trying to get this done:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

thanks in advance.

thats funny, check that link out and you MAY think diiferent. with that link i wouldnt even need the router.........just pick up all the access points with the antenna.

i honestly dont know. but come ON.......the wii only has a 1 or 2db antenna in it. this thing is 8db. thats 6 or 7 times farther range i would get. think of what you have here, no pc? thats fine, ill just get him online with the wii for free through any access point i can connect to, get him free email with hotmail, and its all free.

i could care LESS if he cant surf cuz he is to cheap to get a pc, but IM the one that suffers on the weekends with internet wiidrawl

That thing on ebay is a range extender. What signal from what access point are you extending. That device may extend the signal but it doesn't mean it can create a signal out of thin air. You'd have to have something connected to the access point whose signal your are boosting too most likely.

Last edited:
David328ci said:
That thing on ebay is range extender. What signal from what access point are you extending. That device may extend the signal but it doesn't mean it can create a signal out of thin air. You'd have to have something connected to the access point whose signal your are boosting too most likely.
hmmm, in the auction he brags about being able to connect to the access points it picks up

and what access point would that be exactly?? The neighbors? That is there's even an unsecured network nearby. Best case scenario you would be stealing someone else's wifi. range 8 times as far doesn't make a different if the nearest access point is still too far away.

true. and ill ADMIT IT, if the only one was someones personal access point?? you DAMNED right ill use it. their own fault for being stupid enough not to secure it.

but to be fair, ill try free hot spots first if i pick those up. i wont steal the connection unless its the only one.

You could use a router configured in bridge mode to connect to the neighbors wireless. I did this for my PS2 and Tivo. You could get a used wrt54g v1-4 for 30$ on ebay, install the hyperwrt firmware on it, turn the transmit power up, configure for bridge mode and attach a more directional antenna. All you would need then is the wired adapter for the Wii or a second router to act as an AP

paintba||er said:
Well your friend will need to have internet. You can't just buy a router or something and magically get the internet.

actually you're not that far off, if you have internet, and a router, you DO NOT need a PC

Back