Wii outsells PS3 - 5 to 1

Almo

WiiChat Member
Mar 19, 2007
Wii Online Code
8407-4245-3370-0256
Wii Outselling PS3 5-To-1 In Japan
courtesy of gameinformer.com

The gap widens in Japan as Bloomberg today reports that the Wii out sold PS3 sales in May 5-to-1. Last month Nintendo sold 251,794 Wii consoles according to numbers released by Famitsu publisher Enterbrain. This number is even larger than April where the sales numbers put Wii over PS3 4-to-1.

This number also translated to portables where the Nintendo DS out sold the PSP 5-to-1 in May, with 620,670 DSs sold versus 123, 673 PSPs.

Good. I'm so glad to see Nintendo get back in the market with counsoles. I was perfectly happy with my gamecube though, even more with my N64. I hate to see Sony do so horrible in the beginning becuase I respect their company.

no disrespect but it's like comparing fords to ferrari's

5 to 1 at the moment seems fantastic, but (if and when) the PS3
gets a price drop expect to see that ratio reversed.

the problem is, at £425 here in the UK, the PS3 is extortionately
priced...almost to the degree of robbery.

by contrast, the Wii at £179 is "almost" at a disposable price point.

if the PS3 drops to around £299 (which imo, it needs to) expect the
take-up to be considerable....hell, even i'll consider buying one:yesnod:

FR3344LL said:
5 to 1 at the moment seems fantastic, but (if and when) the PS3
gets a price drop expect to see that ratio reversed.
Nah, not reversed. I can't see PS3 outsell Wii 5:1. With a price drop, it would sell more (than it is at the moment), but not reversed.

People go for whatever's best for them, rather than the cheapest. However, expense can be a turn off. It's why you don't see many non/casual gamers buying PS3's all that much.

It's why you don't see many non/casual gamers buying PS3's all that much

?

it's the casual gamers who have put the playstation brand where it is
now.

the reason simply is price....it's too expensive.

drop £100 - £150 off the price and watch the f***ing thing fly off
the shelves.

I must actually say quite a few people do want the ps3 but there getting outed by the price, and thats why theres so many dodgy ps3s for sale for street price of like £250(lol at college peoples selling them)

In all honesty i don't see why everyone would really buy a PS3 apart from MGS4, yes im a MGS fan but paying $1000 (thats the price in Aus for a new unit) just for one game imo is not worth it...

Just buy a PC instead.. hell for $1000 you can get some alright (obviously not the best) stuff..

FR3344LL said:
?

it's the casual gamers who have put the playstation brand where it is
now.

the reason simply is price....it's too expensive.

drop £100 - £150 off the price and watch the f***ing thing fly off
the shelves.
Ok, now take the sentence before and add it to the quote. It will read:
Squall7 said:
However, expense can be a turn off. It's why you don't see many non/casual gamers buying PS3's all that much.
Besides, it's not like I used commital words such as "definately" or "Will be". I use "can" and "All that much".

Personally, the price point is just one of the aspects of the PS3 that make me not want to buy it.
http://www.wiichat.com/playstation-3/23407-who-hates-ps3.html

Last edited:
G3n0cide said:
In all honesty i don't see why everyone would really buy a PS3 apart from MGS4, yes im a MGS fan but paying $1000 (thats the price in Aus for a new unit) just for one game imo is not worth it...

Just buy a PC instead.. hell for $1000 you can get some alright (obviously not the best) stuff..

If you own a 1080P TV the blue Ray is a bonus. A year from now games will be out and nobody will be talking about this. Graphics are amazing. A good gaming computer is going to cost the same price if not more depending on what you get. Game library's suck for PC. Blue Ray not available for PC, and if it is your going to pay for it. Do you even know what your talking about? Besides who wants to sit in front of their computer and play games vs. playing them on your TV?

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
If you own a 1080P TV the blue Ray is a bonus. A year from now games will be out and nobody will be talking about this. Graphics are amazing. A good gaming computer is going to cost the same price if not more depending on what you get. Game library's suck for PC. Blue Ray not available for PC, and if it is your going to pay for it. Do you even know what your talking about? Besides who wants to sit in front of their computer and play games vs. playing them on your TV?

the game library suck for PCs are you serious? there are WAY better games for PCs than consoles... what games are you playing on PC? sesame street? nickjr.com?

i could build a good gaming PC cheaper than what the PS3 cost. and id rather sit in a nice computer chair playing FPS with keyboard and mouse vs playing on control stick with crappy inverted controls...

So you claim to be able to build a PC that's better than PS3 for less of a price, you still don't have Blue Ray or 1080P, what monitor are you playing your games on your PC, most likely dual 20" LCD or so. Big deal. Wow your sitting in a nice desk chair, while I'm sitting on a nice sofa or leather chair while playing on a larger screen with better graphics, able to watch a DVD or TV. Stick to your dungeons and dragon buddy. Yes there are way better games than what is offered for PC's that's why I don't waste my time playing games on a computer. I use my computer to work and surf the net. If I want to play a game I use my console.

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
So you claim to be able to build a PC that's better than PS3 for less of a price, you still don't have Blue Ray or 1080P, what monitor are you playing your games on your PC,

What? Thats just not even right.

A PC can do BETTER than 1080p. In fact you can often run your LCD/Plasma at its native resolution which will look far better than the processed 1080p signal. Even on OLD displays its better to run the lower Native resolution than the 1080i or 720p input....

Blue ray IS available for the PC. In fact you can even copy the BlueRay movies on non-hdpc using AnyDVD by slysoft.

I think you missed out on just how many people use HTPCs. Its a far larger market than console games.

Edit: AnyDVD HD has been able to decrypt blueray movies since March.

Last edited:
what's the price of a Blue Ray for a PC? did some searching and $500 at the least. a good one is $750 and above. Sorry buddy your wrong on the fact that you can build a better PC than a PS3

Last edited:
Back