Wii Photo Channel getting updates in December

what a bad move. I guess if Nintendo wants to send me a free ipod to play these aac files on that would be cool, otherwise the other 80% of the world still uses mp3 for most of their portable audio files/players.

I wonder what else will change in the photo channel? At least there is not something I have to have to d/l the update and lose the mp3 support.

lol me to

when it said

"These will give the Wii the ability to create a personalized icon from one of your favorite digital pictures" i though oohhh, maybe player profile

and when it said

"Personalize your Wii Menu by making one of your favorite digital images from an SD memory card"

i though oooohh, wii menu backgrounds but it then said

"as the Photo Channel icon."

This is idiotic. Not that I use the photo channel, so I can only get so worked-up about this... but replacing MP3 support with AAC? Will someone please hit Nintendo over the head with a clue-stick please? Granted, I don't care since I don't use the channel and I'm technically-adept, so I have no problem converting a WAV to MP3/OGG/AAC, but the average user is not going to have a clue how to make an AAC, nor do they get their music from friends in AAC.

I can understand adding AAC support, but to remove MP3 support in the process is just plain stupid.

If they really wanted to make a statement, they could add Ogg Vorbis support.

I did some poking around and apparently the change is being made because Nintendo is getting a price break for supporting .aac files as opposed to .mp3s. Remember that Nintendo has to pay royalties for the 'decoders' and the ITunes one was apparently less expensive.
They did say that if a game has a built in mp3 decoder, such as excite truck, the files will still play.

Eddy04 said:
Why not just have AAC and MP3 at the same time? Why should we loose one so that we can get the other one...It does not make any sense. It is much intelligent to have both..So that those who got mp3 files but want to change the look of their photo channel can do it maybe cause they can't change their mp3 files to AAC. And those who got AAC can do all the new stuff.
they should have both files associations.

sremick said:
This is idiotic. Not that I use the photo channel, so I can only get so worked-up about this... but replacing MP3 support with AAC? Will someone please hit Nintendo over the head with a clue-stick please? Granted, I don't care since I don't use the channel and I'm technically-adept, so I have no problem converting a WAV to MP3/OGG/AAC, but the average user is not going to have a clue how to make an AAC, nor do they get their music from friends in AAC.
I can understand adding AAC support, but to remove MP3 support in the process is just plain stupid.
If they really wanted to make a statement, they could add Ogg Vorbis support.

I agree with these statements. :yesnod:

Does this mean that we can plug our ipods into the wii through the USB port and play music or video files directly from it? I fail to see the benefit of this update other than for the upcoming Smash bros. video feature.

Evolve82 said:
I have never used the photo channel before as have no SD card. How does the music player work currently?

honestly its crap.

you can only use the music when looking through a slideshow of your pictures, thats the only way.

its quite good, in games, like excite truck, and i really need to start using it in endless ocean to make it more fun lol

Giga-Dragon said:
Very good find.
Can't wait for custom backgrounds!

Keep in mind it's just a custom background for the Photo Channel icon, not the whole Wii screen background.

periklis said:
I dont know if this is good or not (the update).
I think it is better with the mp3s.
Why they dont change something at the photo channel like putting more effects?
very true it may be better with mp3's but you don't have to download it if you don't want to to keep the mp3 compatibility. It would've been better if Nintendo made it so it was compatible with AAC and MP3.

You can download audio converters "free" from the net...I have Magic Video Converter (it also does audio)

Back