Wii: Pros & Cons

Solace

WiiChat Member
Sep 5, 2010
St. Louis
Pros
-Resident Evil, GoldenEye, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.
-GameCube backwards compatibility
-Built in web browser
-Netflix
-WiiWare
-Virtual Console
-Easily moddable
-WiiConnect24
-Less system problems than 360 and PS3
-Cheaper than 360 and PS3
-1 year warranty

Cons
-Online play uses 16 letter friend codes instead of gamertags
-Not HD
-No gamercards
-Very small hard drive
-Lots of shovelware
-Stupid controller design
-Official forums were shutdown
-Limited third-party support
-No achievements
-No DVD/CD support

Pros
-Resident Evil, GoldenEye, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.
Resi is on other formats as well.

-GameCube backwards compatibility.
The Gamecube has very few good games.

-Built in web browser
The web browser is rubbish.

-Netflix
Netflix is pointless to people that know where to watch films online.

-Virtual Console
Virtual Console was a good idea, until they stopped caring and don't give fans what they want.

-Easily moddable
Also not endorsed by Nintendo

-WiiConnect24
Wiiconnect24 is that even used?

-Less system problems than 360 and PS3
All new consoles have there problems.

-Cheaper than 360 and PS3
Not the 360

-1 year warranty

EVERYTHING NEW COMES WITH A WARRANTY!

Cons
-Online play uses 16 letter friend codes instead of gamertags
Nintendont know what they are doing with online

-Not HD
HD is arse anyway

-Very small hard drive
Its not like you can store loads on it anyway

-Lots of shovelware
Every console has that

-Official forums were shutdown
How is that a downside of the Wii?

-Limited third-party support
There's loads of third party games on it.

-No achievements
There only for those that have to much time on there hands

-No DVD/CD support
If a home dont have a DVD player these days then theres something wrong.

@ DPrinny. Are you kidding about the GC?? Theres some excellent games such as luigi's mansion, paper mario, melee, pikmin, wind waker, metroid prime, wario world, animal crossing, and mario sunshine!! I think gamers were asleep from 2000-2005 because no one seems to like those games. Also, the latest 360 model is like $50 more than the wii.

I agree that the wii could benefit from an online profile with user names and achievements/trophies. It helps give longevity to a game, although the wii's plethora of family titles would probably have ridiculously easy ones.

@ DPrinny. Are you kidding about the GC?? Theres some excellent games such as luigi's mansion, paper mario, melee, pikmin, wind waker, metroid prime, wario world, animal crossing, and mario sunshine!! I think gamers were asleep from 2000-2005 because no one seems to like those games. Also, the latest 360 model is like $50 more than the wii.

Look at the amount of crap thats on it.
The proportion of good to crap is very poor.
Very poor indeed.
People seem to forget about the crap
But then even the Wii has the worst good to crap ratio

I think Pros and Cons is more dependent on how individual looks at the console. Dprinny thinks the Web Browser sucks, but I disagree and is what I am using to post this. Solace says HD is a con, but Dprinny diagrees, however, I think Nintendo could have been pro-active on that like they have with other consoles to add an add-on. As for DVD/CD, Solace, Why? You complain that the Wii isn't HD, but you're willing to watch a 480p movie? I have two players, an XBOX 360 which upconverts my movies to 720p for my HDTV and a DVD Recorder. Now for it to read my CDs thats a good question.

480p?
I still watch on VHS and use mini VHS tapes for my camera.

con- its not a xbox 360 :)

Thank f***ing God its not an XBOX 360. 5 years later and now they're putting a Network Adapters into the console itself plus 4GB Memory internal Memory. How's XBOXLive? Do you enjoy paying $5 for free internet Multi-Player? Oh look at me, I'm talking while I play my game online.

con- its not a xbox 360 :)

Thank f***ing God its not an XBOX 360. 5 years later and now they're putting a Network Adapters into the console itself plus 4GB Memory internal Memory. How's XBOXLive? Do you enjoy paying $5 for free internet Multi-Player? Oh look at me, I'm talking while I play my game online.

The 360 has always had a network thingy in it.
The big hard drives that come with a 360 brought by somebody that has a little bit of know how are great.
$5? Well if your gonna have online gubbins you might as well make it the best and the 360 beats the Wii hands down in this area.

i put that smiley there so people would know i was joking... please no 360 rants...

360 is a pain in the arse as when you have done one you are facing the same way and a bit dizzy if you do it fast

I do like how the Wii kept (/tried to keep) up with the race of internet within the console. But honestly people tend not to use it unless it has a direct relationship with a game for the Wii (y'know, those things it's made for?). That's why online play is so popular for any system, but I'd rather use a laptop or anything portable with internet than spend an hour trying to point and click on stuff with an Opera browser. I feel as if very few people sit down in front of their Wii intending to surf the internet.

Pro - internet browser

Con - internet browser

Space Taker-Upper - internet browser

I surf the Wii's internet a lot. A LOT! Because I do not own a computer, and if anyone handed me a new PC it would crash. I don't know why, but I'm assuming its a bunch of the virul crap people spread through almost any website. Still don't want a Mac because I don't want to format my stuff then never be able to use it on a different device.

I enjoy the most out of my Nintendo Wii & Microsoft XBOX 360. Even though I do get pissed the XBOX 360 was made more for an Online gamer than an offline gamer. I don't get why you'd even want to pay for that, I don't even think $5 is reasonable unless they a really, really, really, really, really, worthy online service.

Back