Wii rechargeable batterys

wow.... I dont want to talk about battery crap, but yes it happened to me few times. It had 2 battery left on the screen then i turn it off for few min, then it became 4? Then after few min it became 3 and is staying that way for a while. So, pretty weird.

buddy mine does the same as your's, the reason for this is because it gives u a ruff estimate of battery life through the battery meter, The reason it is lower when playing zelda is because it uses more battery life when playing a game to when your just browsing the menu's and what not. Thats why it changes every now and then.

Forget fission. There ARE cell phone chargers that are in development that charge the phone's battery wirelessly. So basically as soon as you get home or near you car, your phone will begin to recharge. So it is possible. That said... THATS NOT WHATS HAPPENING HERE. It's just a inaccurate battery meter. My RAZR does the same thing all the time. The battery bar will be red with no power and I'll turn the phone off and back on again and suddenly, there will be 3 bars. Use the phone for 30 seconds and suddenly you're back at red.

Arnaud said:

Nintendo also said this:
Quote:
Use only alkaline batteries. Do not use lithium ion, nickel cadmium (nicad), nickel metal hydride (nimh), carbon zinc or any other non-alkaline batteries.

On the same site, under "Health and Safety Precautions - battery leakage".
Notice the "nickel metal hydride". Aren't those the rechargeable batteries they recommended?

well look at the two posts here and try to understand why i am confused now :) so what types of rechargable batteries can we use???? and will that new Wiimote recharge station be a bad idea now??????

Arnaud said:
Actually, to quote Nintendo :

Important Note: If you would like to use rechargeable batteries, the only type of battery recommended are Nickel Metal Hydride batteries. When it comes to using rechargeable batteries, you must follow manufacturer guidelines for safety and proper usage. Failure to do so could cause damage to the Wii Remote and void the warranty.

Source :
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/wiiRemoteUsing.jsp

Nintendo also said this:
Quote:
Use only alkaline batteries. Do not use lithium ion, nickel cadmium (nicad), nickel metal hydride (nimh), carbon zinc or any other non-alkaline batteries.

On the same site, under "Health and Safety Precautions - battery leakage".
Notice the "nickel metal hydride". Aren't those the rechargeable batteries they recommended?

well look at the two posts here and try to understand why i am confused now :) so what types of rechargable batteries can we use???? and will that new Wiimote recharge station be a bad idea now??????

I bought me some powergps, they work for anything that needs standard sized batteries and the recharger with a set of batteries only costed me around €35.

happypappy said:

The way I figure it, by the time my rechargeable Duracell batteries actually damage the wiimote (if ever), I would have already saved roughly $40 in battery costs.

I Win

Just use 'em. Everyone I know in my area that has a Wii (half since launch) use a variety of rechargeables and I have yet to hear of a single problem.

I'm far more concerned with how tight people strap on the wiimotes in my home than battery leakage.

Last edited:
YES u can use rechargeable batteries !!!!!!!!
this is what you can use:
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product%5Fid=802574

this charger station, as u can read on the link above, replace the battery place on the wii for a NiMH rechargeable battery.
In other words, your wiimote will not use the battery that is in your tv remote or your alarm clock, but a battery just like of the cell phones.... especially made for this propose, CHARGE !

thats the difference.
with this charger station they replace even the wiimote battery cover (little white peace that you remove to reach the batteries) because the shape of the new NiMH battery is different obvious.... :D

this is what you CAN NOT USE
http://www.nimhbattery.com/la_crosse_bc-900_battery_charger.php

this types of rechargeable batteries are not recommended for any electronics actually.

vi3tmix said:
The way I figure it, by the time my rechargeable Duracell batteries actually damage the wiimote (if ever), I would have already saved roughly $40 in battery costs.

I Win

Just use 'em. Everyone I know in my area that has a Wii (half since launch) use a variety of rechargeables and I have yet to hear of a single problem.

I'm far more concerned with how tight people strap on the wiimotes in my home than battery leakage.

so what type of rechargeable batteries are the ones you are talking about? thanks!

happypappy said:
so what type of rechargeable batteries are the ones you are talking about? thanks!
Using something along the lines of these Duracell 2400 mAh rechargeables for now. Think it cost me around $20 at Walmart for a 15-minute charger and 4 batteries. Don't know if I'd recommend it, simply because the charger is weird. It doesn't actually detect if the batteries are fully charged or anything, it just runs on a 15 minute timer after being plugged in, so I'm a little concerned of potential damage that can come as a result of accidently "overcharging" the batteries.

You may wanna try the one philmottin just posted posted:
Gamestop's Wii Charger Station

Looks nice, probably safer, and only $30. If I hadn't already gotten my current batts I probably would've waited for that charger, simply because:
If the Duracells I currently use damage the wiimote, I have to replace the remote myself.
If that Nyko charger pack damages your wiimote, it's their fault, and you could probably get them to reimburse you in full (for both charger and wiimote). $30 for the charger isn't too bad. Would help if they actually released more specifics, though, such as how many hours they last and how long is the charge cycle.

But seriously, I've never had any problems at all with rechargeables in any electronic device (most commonly used them in gaming devices & cd players). I just figured that Nintendo only discouraged use of rechargeables because they didn't want to be held liable to replace broken devices caused by crappy batteries from unknown brands.

Last edited:
Awesome. I don't need the charger station yet. I don't use my wii remote that much(mostly my GC controller). I'll hold out for online gaming.

and let us not forget, that wiimote only "suck" tha battery life that quick cuz of the rumble feature and loud volume on wiimote speaker....

turn off rumble and leave the volume on wiimote not too loud thar your regular batteries will last waaaaay more time !

vi3tmix said:
I just figured that Nintendo only discouraged use of rechargeables because they didn't want to be held liable to replace broken devices caused by crappy batteries from unknown brands.

That's probably it.
But will the wiimote still work in 20 years when using rechargeables?
I often play with my 20 year old nes, and i guess, in 20 years, I will want to play with my wii from time to time. (that doesn't sound right :D )

Bugz said:
That's probably it.
But will the wiimote still work in 20 years when using rechargeables?
I often play with my 20 year old nes, and i guess, in 20 years, I will want to play with my wii from time to time. (that doesn't sound right :D )

Hahahahahahahaha...best Wii joke all wiik.

Anywho, yes, but I'm sure you'll still be able to find Wiimotes in pawn shops 20 years from now, just like you can find NES controllers there :p

Back