Wii Remote suddenly stopped responding

hall2037

WiiChat Member
Dec 26, 2007
Hello - we purchased a Wii for our son for Christmas. The family played with it most of the afternoon yesterday and then suddenly during a bowling game, the Wii remote stopped working properly. Now when we go to swing the remote and release the B button to bowl, the ball actually rolls backwards behind the bowler instead of going forward down the lane to the pins.

We have done this for troubleshooting:
1. Restarted the system after having unplugged it from the wall and television for over an hour.
2. Removed the reinserted the game disk.
3. Resynched the Wii remote and the console.
4. Cleaned lens on sensor bar.
5. Cleaned game disk.
6. Installed new batteries in Wii remote.

It is also not working properly with other game disks (i.e., Cars game - will not steer the car, baseball - batter just stands and continuously swings, golf - golfer stands and continuously swings even though the Wii remote is not being moved).

We considered reflective objects, lighting, etc. The room where it is located has no mirrors, no windows, and no significant problems with light sources (i.e., Christmas tree, etc.) and up until the point of malfunction, worked perfectly and location change of components has not changed.

We thought about stuck buttons, but it seems to work fine when selecting menu options, etc.

Any help would be wonderful. We have tried getting through to Nintendo support, but obviously they are rather busy - guessing everyone pretty much got one of these for Christmas - so naturally they are swamped.

Any suggested would be so appreciated. Disappointed little boy right now and would like to find out if it is a hardware failure or a new owner screwup.

Sorry, but I had to laugh little bit. The bowling ball is rolling backwards because you are not rolling it correctly. It has nothing to do with the Wii Remote. Make sure you are following what the Wii says when you are starting to bowl (how to roll the ball or move the Wii Remote).

Well u have already checked everything that i was goin to suggest....best bet would prob be to return it

FR. said:
Sorry, but I had to laugh little bit. The bowling ball is rolling backwards because you are not rolling it correctly. It has nothing to do with the Wii Remote. Make sure you are following what the Wii says when you are starting to bowl (how to roll the ball or move the Wii Remote).
Actually, that is not it. The game was going fine previously and we have not changed the way we are playing. We are holding the remote up and holding the B button down as shown by the on screen instructions, and swinging down as shown, and releasing the B button when wanting to release the ball. We actually completed 4-5 games successfully and were half way through the 6th game when this started. So I do not think our problem lies with the way we are doing it. But thanks.

That also would not explain the problems that have suddenly started with all of the other games.

Any other suggestions?

Does it only occur with 1 Wii Remote or are all of the Wii Remotes not working?

FR. said:
Does it only occur with 1 Wii Remote or are all of the Wii Remotes not working?
All of the remotes are doing the same thing - we have two.

Hit the remote on your palm a few times.

Not *classic* accelerometer problems, but could be possible symptoms.

Brawny said:
Hit the remote on your palm a few times.

Not *classic* accelerometer problems, but could be possible symptoms.
No luck. Still doing the same thing - both remotes. It selects on the Wii menu just fine - but just will not work properly with the games themselves. Anything else?

I had few suggestion.
1)Try not to stand too close to the sensor.
2)Maybe you can try to recalibrate your wii remote.
Resynched the Wii remote doesn't mean it is calibrate.
3)Try different to play it at different location. My wii remote don't work accurately at some off angle from the sensor.

Takahan said:
I had few suggestion.
1)Try not to stand too close to the sensor.
2)Maybe you can try to recalibrate your wii remote.
Resynched the Wii remote doesn't mean it is calibrate.
3)Try different to play it at different location. My wii remote don't work accurately at some off angle from the sensor.

That did not work either. I just cannot figure out what could have happened unless the remote or sensor bar is not functioning right now at all and needs repaired or replaced. But odd that it would happen to both remotes at the same time.

Exact same problem - fixed

Hi,
I got our wii for xmas - 2 days ago and had exactly the problem you described!!
I fixed it by "smacking" the wii i.e. a short but hard hit on the side.
I didn't smack it on the "back" - which I did try, but it didn't work.
Hitting it on the side twice - quite hard did the trick!!
I am still disappointed it has gone wrong so quickly!!
Happy new year,
Mike

Back