Wii Shop Channel connecting forever

kostodo

WiiChat Member
May 6, 2007
I know this is a known issue and theres many threads about it already but i've read over all the proposed solutions extensively and none seem to fix my problem.

I have a PAL Wii, and i've got it online through my wireless AP (WAP54g) in the Seychelles Islands through a 128k connection. Although I'm in Seychelles (which is not on the Country list in the settings), I have selected UK.

Test connection works fine. I updated the system fine with all the latest Wii updates. Weather channel works fine and opens UK, London per default. News channel works fine.

But when I try open the Shop channel it starts connecting and then sits endlessly on "Connecting. Please wait". I have tried waiting for nearly 24hrs and nothing moved.

I tried changing, country settings to Italy, France, Australia etc etc and the same problem persists. I've upgraded my wireless access point firmware to the latest from the Linksys website. I have tried changing Wireless channels to 1, 11, 6 and many more. Still no joy.

I figured that maybe Nintendo's shop server is doing IP to Country lookups and dropping my connection out because my IP shows up as originating from Seychelles and not UK (or even Europe). So I asked a friend in UK to set up a proxy for me. I set the proxy in the Wii settings so that I would look like i'm connecting from the UK. Unfortunately this resulted in the same endless "Connecting, please wait" screen. I checked the proxy logs during the process of opening the Wii shop and it shows that my Wii makes a http post request to the shop server url and it actually starts transfering some data via HTTPS but eventually the bytes count goes to 0 and the proxy shows no active connections. In this time the Wii is still displaying the endless Connecting... screen.

Anyone have any ideas? Its really frustrating not being able to get access to download the Internet Channel and all the VC games!

How big is the Shop channel as a download? Could it be that 128k is not enough to download it in a reasonable amount of time? Surely the Shop is just a web page and the download should be way less than the Wii update.

Any help would be much appreciated!

That happened to me, i guess it depends on how many VC games you got on your menu because i noticed when i got more it runs a bit slower

The thing is I have NEVER once been able to enter the Shop Channel, and therefor I have NO VC games installed whatsoever.

:(

That has happened to me a few times. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It may be your connection. I've found that using a wireless router, your wii will get a better connection in some places than others. In some places there will be a connection but the shop channel will not work. Try moving it around or moving it closer to your router. If it doesn't connect in a few minutes, it probably won't. Don't waste that much time waiting for the page to load.

Anyway good luck and let us know it this works.

FoxRox said:
That has happened to me a few times. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It may be your connection. I've found that using a wireless router, your wii will get a better connection in some places than others. In some places there will be a connection but the shop channel will not work. Try moving it around or moving it closer to your router. If it doesn't connect in a few minutes, it probably won't. Don't waste that much time waiting for the page to load.

Anyway good luck and let us know it this works.

I see that many people have the same issues. I have tried moving the router around. It just doesnt make sense that if it was interference or a wireless channel problem that only the wii shop has persistent problems and all other internet features work just fine (including connecting a laptop directly and abusing the bandwidth!)

Grrr so frustrating!

Wierd thing is that when I use that wii shop hack for getting the wii shop opening on Firefox it actually loads, sure its slow but the page opens!

(the hack uses the firefox user agent switcher add-on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59)

Doesnt that rule out my connection?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you should try putting your wii right next to your router or trying a wired connection. If that doesn't work you may be up a creek.

kostodo said:
Doesnt that rule out my connection?

I'm not positive about what you are saying, do you have a laptop that you can connect to your router and get the shop channel on it? I don't think this would rule out the connection because the Wii has a relatively weak antenna for wireless, maybe the one on your laptop is stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:
FoxRox said:
I'm not positive about what you are saying, do you have a laptop that you can connect to your router and get the shop channel on it? I don't think this would rule out the connection because the Wii has a relatively weak antenna for wireless, maybe the one on your laptop is stronger.

Yeah, I can connect to the wii shop via my laptop. But surely the weak antenna would limit all internet connectivity on the wii - but as I said, everything works perfectly (including huge system updates) other than the shop channel.

I wish nintendo would step up and provide some technical information on the wii. Like its internal wireless antenna specifications, including all technical network specifications. I'm a little disappointed in the support I got from them via telephone, it was basically like "doesnt work? too bad mate".

I have been leaving it for a LONG LONG while. Nothing seems to help. Its been over 10 days now. Been trying at least 2 hours non-stop every day.

I'm sure someone around this forum knows the technical specs on just about every aspect of the Wii.

I think lots of people have had similar problems, but it eventually works, could be a down server from nintendo.

As far as the antenna, all I'm saying is give my suggestion about putting the router near the Wii a try. Could it be possible your bandwidth could be reduced by a weak signal? I don't know but I don't think so. Do you have WEP? If you do then you are already sure that you are connected to your router. If not, could you accidentally be on another network? I don't know if any of this will help you but just give it a shot.

WOW I finally got a connection to the shop and managed to download the Internet Channel!!!!

I had to disable my laptop wireless card and then the wii connected into the shop! The moment I turned back the laptop I got a timeout error on the wii!

So it turns out that every time i tried accessing the shop, either me or one of my family members must have been using the laptop wifi to get internet access and that caused some sort of interference (or hogged the bandwidth?)

Anyway, the connection is definitely shaky but atleast I've now seen that it IS actually possible to enter the shop!

Thanks for all the help and support guys ;)

Well, I managed to download the internet channel. But haven't been able to log back into the shop since! Tried many many many times. Very annoying. Atlast I know it CAN work. Cheers guys.

Kostodo...I was never able to enter the Shop Channel...I sent many email to Nintendo but no answers...with the last update things are better for DSL users...but for 56k users like me...no Shop Channel!

Back