Wii Shop Channel connecting forever

You could rule out the connection by changing your user agent of your browser to match the Wii and then visiting the VC shop channel on your PC.

Can you verify that CTS to self is disabled on the laptop?

ciper said:
You could rule out the connection by changing your user agent of your browser to match the Wii and then visiting the VC shop channel on your PC.

Can you verify that CTS to self is disabled on the laptop?

Well I did try opening the Shop from my laptop with the user agent switched in Firefox and it did load but it also did take random amounts of time to complete. It took ages actually. I tried it a few times and there were times when it couldn't load at all. But still it loaded about 90% of the time using the laptop, and only 2% of the time using the Wii.

Could be that the Wii antenna is weaker than the laptop and struggles even more to download an already slow page. I am using a 128k connection after all. Thats pretty much 2 dial-up connections.

What do you mean by verify that CTS to self is disabled?

Other than that, I did find a way to get into the shop with a 100% success rate. Although its not a permanent solution, it works for me and I've managed to get what I needed so my personal battle with the Shop ends for now. I set up a proxy in my work office. My office connection uses a different ISP to my house and is 2mbit - but I have a leased line into my work from home so the connection from the Wii to the proxy is as if it were local. So that scenario basically gets the Wii access at my full bandwidth through 2 different ISPs - one with the proxy, and one without.

So when I set the proxy to ON, and as a result pass through the office ISP, I can get into the shop every time. When I disable the proxy, its back to square 1 with a 2% success rate.

This rules out my home LAN, router, wireless access point, Wii, cables etc. It also rules out my 128k connection as being insufficient - as I feared.
So either, the Wii Shop is just screwed - servers are slow, overloaded or poorly designed - or there is something strange along my ISPs internet backbone thats conflicting with the Shop access (SSL certificate exchange maybe?).

i know this is kinda off your on going conversation but why don't you just buy the wired adapter and just plug right into your wii thats what i plan on doing since i live in the dorms i get lots of interference from other routers... plus the connection should be a bit faster and you will never drop which will be good if you are playing someone online in the near future

Belmont said:
i know this is kinda off your on going conversation but why don't you just buy the wired adapter and just plug right into your wii thats what i plan on doing since i live in the dorms i get lots of interference from other routers... plus the connection should be a bit faster and you will never drop which will be good if you are playing someone online in the near future

If you had been following the thread, then you would know that the possibility of my wireless connection having interference was eliminated by:

* the test connection working fine
* the weather channel working fine
* the news channel working fine
* the internet channel working fine
* the everybody votes channel working fine
* the wireless networking working fine for laptops/pcs
* the Wii connecting fine to the shop using a proxy
* the fact that I live in the Seychelles and am probably 1 of the 3 people on the island who owns a wireless router.

But sure, if it were a interference problem, your solution is logical and would work :thumbsup:

Good troubleshooting. Reading your entire post it seems that your ISP is somehow to blame. Can you run a traceroute to the shop channel from your laptop?

CTS to Self is a setting on the wireless card that can increase speed on a single client but screw up other clients that are far away. CTS stands for Clear To Send and is how wireless cards handle "collisions" like on an old wired hub. If either the Wii or the Laptop has this setting enabled and one is too far away then they will stomp on each other. I dont think this is the issue based on your other testing

Using the proxy through work may help with the static pages but I worry that it has increased latency to the point that future online games will be impacted.

Are you using an ISDN connection?

ciper said:
Good troubleshooting. Reading your entire post it seems that your ISP is somehow to blame. Can you run a traceroute to the shop channel from your laptop?

Unfortunately my ISP is dropping ICMP packets so a traceroute is not possible. I will try have it released and do the test. I was always intending to get them to release that since I frequently need to ping.

cipher said:
Are you using an ISDN connection?

Its not really an ISDN connection but the speeds are similar. Its actually a point to point wireless to the ISP with 128k up/down bandwidth. Hardly anything to smile about...

Back