Wii shortages expected through the holidays (from Yahoo)

kmcheng

WiiChat Member
Nov 21, 2007
Wii shortages expected through the holidays
Nintendo's hit console is pricier and harder to find than last season.

By Ben Silverman

Think you'll find a shiny, white gaming box under the Christmas tree this year? Think again. As many have feared, supplies of Nintendo Corp.'s highly-prized Wii console are not expected to meet the demands of holiday shoppers.

According to Nintendo of America VP of Marketing George Harrison, don't blame the company for not trying. "It takes about five months for us to increase the actual monthly rate of production," he said in an interview with industry website next-gen.biz. "We're at a rate now worldwide of about 1.8 million Wiis produced every month, and that's going to sustain itself until we get on top of this."

Nearly two million Wii's a month might sound like a lot, but that's a worldwide figure. Pooling together consumer demand from the three major territories -- North America, Europe and Japan -- far exceeds the number of available boxes.

This might sound like deja vu, as a similar supply problem last year made the system the Holy Grail of holiday gifts. Some have even accused Nintendo of purposefully shorting supply to perpetuate the prevailing sense that the console is still at the top of everyone's wish list.

It's a notion refuted by Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America, who clarified his company's position in a recent interview with MSNBC. "Anyone who suggests that a shortage is good for business really doesn't understand business," he stated. "We want the consumer to walk into any retail establishment and find the product. And that's what we're working tirelessly to make happen."

The timing is tantamount. Recent months have seen the competition from Microsoft and Sony slowly carving back pieces of the pie, although the Wii again dominated charts with a strong October by moving 519,000 units compared to 366,000 for the Xbox 360 and a meager 121,000 for Sony's PS3, according to NPD Group. On the back of the highly-rated smash hit Super Mario Galaxy, interest in the Wii has not waned.

Neither have its exorbitant prices. Numerous online retailers report that finding a Wii at the suggested retail price of $249.99 is a near-impossibility. A quick scan of Amazon.com shows a current low price of $520, while the lowest ebay auctions move the unit at around $400.

Tips to Find a Holiday Wii

* Work the odds: Big retail chains like Best Buy tend to carry more stock than specialty outlets like Gamestop. It might be more crowded, but Wal-Mart will almost certainly carry more Wiis than the tiny mom and pop on the corner.

* Wake up early and hit the street:Sacrifice some of your weekend sleep by slurping down some daybreak coffee and scanning the ad section of your Sunday paper. If a local retailer has any Wiis in stock, you'll find out here. Remember: the early bird catches the Wii.

* If you must shop online, stick with Craigslist and Ebay:Believe it or not, some people are already over the Wii -- take advantage of their disinterest by buying a used system. Auction sites can drive the prices pretty high, but at least you'll have a fair shot at scoring one.

* Try tracking!: Many online retail sites provide RSS feeds that will allow you to track down Wiis as they become available. Consider wiitracker.com or nowinstock.net if this sounds appealing.

of course, the real strategy of getting a Wii before Christmas is to subscribe at wiialerts.com (especially subscribe to cell phone message - email is toooooooooooo slow, stock will out after the first few minutes) You can't really get one without the alerts from the site these days.
I mean, if you don't want to wait for hours outside of retail stores in this freezing cold right now. Not to mention those stores often just got minimum about 10-20, won't be too much for maximum. So even you get in line for hours, you may not get one. Every you get one, it can be a bundle deal, which sucks.

Oh, I don't know about wii shortages. I check www.wiiaroundtheworld.com and every Ebay site in every country seems to have Wiis at only a slight preminum above retail.
I mean, you have a few twits here and there putting "Buy it Now" price of $10,000 or more, but really, if you want a Wii and you have a credit card, you can get one before Christmas.

only a slight preminum above retail???

Those posted are at least $400 for the console only, even more for bundle.

Benji1 said:
Oh, I don't know about wii shortages. I check www.wiiaroundtheworld.com and every Ebay site in every country seems to have Wiis at only a slight preminum above retail.
I mean, you have a few twits here and there putting "Buy it Now" price of $10,000 or more, but really, if you want a Wii and you have a credit card, you can get one before Christmas.

This guy is out of touch....probally gone mad trying to find a Wii!:lol:

No surprise here.
Production shortages and high demand are the cause of this.
Things should even out by April of next year I say.

Welcome to Chirstmas console sales
You must be new

CantGetAWii said:
No surprise here.
Production shortages and high demand are the cause of this.
Things should even out by April of next year I say.

nintendo said they hope to meed the demand early next year
hopefully before summer so that people don't have to race to get a Wii in the second half of 08?

I may be mad but prices are dropping...

Hi, I'm back for more abuse.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm watching the Canadian feed.

Right now there is a buy now Wii for $412, and console for $380 with about 22 minutes left. In Canada, if a store had Wii available, you would have to pay $300 plus GST and PST tax of about $40.

So let's say the Ebay price for a Wii in Canada is right now $400. That's a markup of $60 or a little less than 20%.

Sorry, that's not much of a markup. Yes, you can say there is hoarding, but a genuine shortage like last year? And unless my eyes have deceived, the Ebay price is dropping over the last few days, especially the buy now prices.

<cough, cough> okay, okay skeptical crowd. But watch the feeds and prove me wrong.

kmcheng said:
Wii shortages expected through the holidays
Nintendo's hit console is pricier and harder to find than last season.

By Ben Silverman

Think you'll find a shiny, white gaming box under the Christmas tree this year? Think again. As many have feared, supplies of Nintendo Corp.'s highly-prized Wii console are not expected to meet the demands of holiday shoppers.

According to Nintendo of America VP of Marketing George Harrison, don't blame the company for not trying. "It takes about five months for us to increase the actual monthly rate of production," he said in an interview with industry website next-gen.biz. "We're at a rate now worldwide of about 1.8 million Wiis produced every month, and that's going to sustain itself until we get on top of this."

Nearly two million Wii's a month might sound like a lot, but that's a worldwide figure. Pooling together consumer demand from the three major territories -- North America, Europe and Japan -- far exceeds the number of available boxes.

This might sound like deja vu, as a similar supply problem last year made the system the Holy Grail of holiday gifts. Some have even accused Nintendo of purposefully shorting supply to perpetuate the prevailing sense that the console is still at the top of everyone's wish list.

It's a notion refuted by Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America, who clarified his company's position in a recent interview with MSNBC. "Anyone who suggests that a shortage is good for business really doesn't understand business," he stated. "We want the consumer to walk into any retail establishment and find the product. And that's what we're working tirelessly to make happen."

The timing is tantamount. Recent months have seen the competition from Microsoft and Sony slowly carving back pieces of the pie, although the Wii again dominated charts with a strong October by moving 519,000 units compared to 366,000 for the Xbox 360 and a meager 121,000 for Sony's PS3, according to NPD Group. On the back of the highly-rated smash hit Super Mario Galaxy, interest in the Wii has not waned.

Neither have its exorbitant prices. Numerous online retailers report that finding a Wii at the suggested retail price of $249.99 is a near-impossibility. A quick scan of Amazon.com shows a current low price of $520, while the lowest ebay auctions move the unit at around $400.

Tips to Find a Holiday Wii

* Work the odds: Big retail chains like Best Buy tend to carry more stock than specialty outlets like Gamestop. It might be more crowded, but Wal-Mart will almost certainly carry more Wiis than the tiny mom and pop on the corner.

* Wake up early and hit the street:Sacrifice some of your weekend sleep by slurping down some daybreak coffee and scanning the ad section of your Sunday paper. If a local retailer has any Wiis in stock, you'll find out here. Remember: the early bird catches the Wii.

* If you must shop online, stick with Craigslist and Ebay:Believe it or not, some people are already over the Wii -- take advantage of their disinterest by buying a used system. Auction sites can drive the prices pretty high, but at least you'll have a fair shot at scoring one.

* Try tracking!: Many online retail sites provide RSS feeds that will allow you to track down Wiis as they become available. Consider wiitracker.com or nowinstock.net if this sounds appealing.

Yup, my freind found this and emailed it to me this morning. Everything is happening just like I knew it would. When I saw how popular the wii was last year. I knew it would only get worse and worse! This ain't gonna end anytime soon, cuz the more Nintendo makes, the more people will buy, cus the demand far outstrips supply. So they will only be playing catch up for a while!

They wasn't ready for this. Ther had no real way of estimating that the wii would sell so well. They only had the past to go on. With the poor sales of the N64 and the Gamecube, and Gamers and third parties turning away from them in droves. They had no reason to believe the wii would be any different. All they has was a hope. The wii was an expriment. It was a last ditch effort to get back into the game. If this had not of worked, Nintendo was gonna throw in the towel and walk outta the ring.

It's seems that Nintendo created a monster that not even they can control!

Well, I guess the outcome of the sale surprise most people, especially nintendo's CEO
Good news for them though, they finally got a major heat after N64 and gamecube. This heat with the still huge demand and still short supply is another kind of ad for Wii.

Back