Wii Sound Compatibility?

elelamb

WiiChat Member
Dec 4, 2006
Yatton, Bristol
Wii Online Code
0740-9772-0024-2497
Hi Can Anyone Tell Me If The Nintendo Wii Is Compatible With Any Of The Following (And Which Ones) Sound Software: DTS, Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Prologic II, DirectSound 3D Or EAX As I Have Ordered A New Surround Home Cinema System. Cheers! elelamb :D

Dolby Prologic 2 Good! But Also 5.1?

Thats Great (Dolby Prologic 2) But I Dont Know If We Are Talking About The Same Thing But They Are 5.1 Cinema Speakers, Does That Help??? elelamb :D

dolby prologic II doesnt put the sound around you physically, it recreates it i think. ask an expert. im clueless lol

Some facts about Dolby Pro Logic II

Dolby Pro Logic II decoders have the ability to produce 5.1 channels of audio.

If you go to the www.Dolby.com website and read the technical "Pro Logic II Principles of Operation" PDF, you'd understand how they utilize phase shift to encode and decode (provided you have a decoder/receiver that supports DS PLII) 5.1 channels into a 2 channel stereo source.

It can be somewhat confusing to understand (I don't fully understand it yet, heh) if you're not an audio engineer. Basically in the Left and Right audio signal, each signal has a negative and positive polarity. In effect creating 4 full channels, left, center, right, surround. After that, the tech notes begin to lose me. After some subtraction, dividing and -3db reduction in the center and LFE channel somewhere in the decoder, 5.1 channel sound comes out.

I'd rather have Dolby Digital (AC3), or better yet DTS, but Dolby Pro Logic II is a good cheap substitute for true analog 5.1 (i.e. 3 stereo inputs from a soundcard). Some surround sound is better than none.

Cool! Well I Understood Half Of That lol but the but the bit i did under stand sounds pretty good for example on the bit you said 'Basically in the Left and Right audio signal, each signal has a negative and positive polarity. In effect creating 4 full channels, left, center, right, surround.' That was the best bit lol, cheers, elelamb :D

Back