Wii Success May Lead to Cheaper Next-Gen

i was considering getting a ps3 for GT5 or a 360 for well....nothing in particular but nah...the wii will do me fine

Sovieto said:
theres not many games that have amazing graphics and not-fun gameplay. think before you post, or at least be prepared to back it up like for right now
Way to be rude. I can assure you, I put plenty of thought into my posts, my friend.

Also, way to totally twist what I was saying just so you can have an excuse to be rude. Let's go back and review:

"fun > graphics"

As in "a game being fun is more-important than a game having mind-blowing graphics".

Am I saying that games with great graphics can't be fun? No.
Am I saying that there aren't lots of games with great graphics that are fun too? No.
Am I saying that I don't appreciate good graphics? No.
Am I in any way insulting your precious 1080p XBox/PS3 experience? No.

What I am saying is that, overall the "fun" factor is more important than the graphics. While you can have a ridiculously fun game with crappy graphics and it'll still be a hit, a game with incredible graphics but is lame/boring/buggy/whatever will flop. Case in-point: Lair.

You want proof? How many people with PS3 care about PS1 games? How many people with an XBox 360 are passionate about their original XBox games?

Meanwhile, what do we have on the Wii? Virtual Console, which has exploded in popularity. By its design, any games on VC can't have good graphics even by modern standards. Even by Wii standards. What were my friends playing last time I visited them? Pac Man. What other games are popular? Super Mario Brothers. Tetris. Etc. Even today. Why? Because they're fun.

You might want to follow your own advice and put a bit more thought into your own posts.

sremick said:
Way to be rude. I can assure you, I put plenty of thought into my posts, my friend.

Also, way to totally twist what I was saying just so you can have an excuse to be rude. Let's go back and review:

"fun > graphics"

As in "a game being fun is more-important than a game having mind-blowing graphics".

Am I saying that there aren't lots of games with great graphics that are fun too? No.

What I am saying is that, overall the "fun" factor is more important than the graphics. While you can have a ridiculously fun game with crappy graphics and it'll still be a hit, a game with incredible graphics but is lame/boring/buggy/whatever will flop. Case in-point: Lair.

You want proof? How many people with PS3 care about PS1 games? How many people with an XBox 360 are passionate about their original XBox games?

Meanwhile, what do we have on the Wii? Virtual Console, which has exploded in popularity. By its design, any games on VC can't have good graphics even by modern standards. Even by Wii standards. What were my friends playing last time I visited them? Pac Man. What other games are popular? Super Mario Brothers. Tetris. Etc. Even today. Why? Because they're fun.

You might want to follow your own advice and put a bit more thought into your own posts.

Preach brother preach!

sremick said:

"fun > graphics"

what fun is there to be had on the wii that i already havent had on another system? aside from the controls that become second-nature 10 minutes in (or wii sports that gets boring after all your friends have seen it), there is not much new on the wii that couldnt be done on a gamecube. even the wii's most precious title, ssbb, is best played on the gamecube controller. this being said, how come the gamecube didnt sell as wildly? could it be because its at such a low price point compared to the others and is targeted at soccer moms who think its "excerise in a video game" for their kids?

the wiimote is just a new way to play old games and even then, its still not the best way to play old games. so far its done hardly any ground-breaking things, and those ground-breaking things are only fun for a bit.

Last edited:
360 games>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.wii games

Sovieto said:
...what fun is there to be had on the wii that i already havent had on another system? aside from the controls that become second-nature 10 minutes in (or wii sports that gets boring after all your friends have seen it)...

Apparently a lot more fun. The controls are what make it fun and easy for non-traditional gamers to adapt the Wii. I probably just sold two more families on the Wii last weekend when I took my Wii down to Atlanta when I was visiting friends. That makes almost a dozen direct connections to playing the Wii with friends and selling more consoles. I've played the XBox at someone else's house, it didn't compel me to buy it.

Like it or not, there are plenty of people who don't come to on-line forums who have a different opinion of what fun game play is. And these people are buying the Wii a lot faster rate than the people buying the 360 and PS3 are.

360/PS3 games = fps, racing, and sports

If your only ideas of "fun" fall into those categories, then obviously you'll have plenty of fun with the XBox. But for a lot of us, there is a whole 'nother world of "fun" beyond those 3 restrictive categories. And most games in those categories are not simple games that any newcomer can just pick up and immediately start playing (and having fun) without learning all sorts of finger-yoga and memorizing complex moves.

Sovieto said:
how many quality games are there for the wii that are actually fun? do you think the reason the wii is selling because of fun games? how many of those games have you not already played on a previous system? could it be, that the cheap price point of the wii and the soccer mom approach with that it "is like exercise on a video game" is the reason its selling?
what im saying is its not fun thats selling the wii, because if it was, itd be in last place.

Wow, well that was a shocker. The Wii IS selling for its fun factor. What kid, adult, elderly person that has picked up a Wiimote and it didnt bring a smile to there face? How many of those people do you know? Cause damn im 25 and its hard to amuse mebut i know when i played Wii Sports for the first time i was like "damn this is great and a lot of fun". Yes it has that whole "soccer mom" approach as well but thats only cuz they want to involve the older crowd as well, the person who never picked up a controller before. And yes the Wii (as of now) does lack "quality" games, but that doesnt mean they arent fun. Sh|t i could throw in Mario and Sonic at the Olympics and have a blast with a few buddies...And playing past games is one of the main reason why the Wii is sellin the way it is, cuz including myself and a lot of my friends we always "damn what happened to the games we grew up on". We always wished we can play them without bustin out the NES or which ever system the game was on. So just cuz something isnt "fun" for you, doesnt mean everyone else feels that way.

LoganSix said:
Apparently a lot more fun. The controls are what make it fun and easy for non-traditional gamers to adapt the Wii. I probably just sold two more families on the Wii last weekend when I took my Wii down to Atlanta when I was visiting friends. That makes almost a dozen direct connections to playing the Wii with friends and selling more consoles. I've played the XBox at someone else's house, it didn't compel me to buy it.

Like it or not, there are plenty of people who don't come to on-line forums who have a different opinion of what fun game play is. And these people are buying the Wii a lot faster rate than the people buying the 360 and PS3 are.
great, you sold 2 familiys on the wii, ive sold a couple million myself on it too. but once they get it do you think they really play it actively? did you let them have their fun with carnival games and wii sports and they were left thinking it was so fun? how long does that fun last?

you know, ever since the week after i bought a wii on its launch date i realized...
the wii is like a trampoline, its really fun once you get it!!!!! its sooo fun! you think theres nothing better. then after a week or 2 it kinda gets boring, you go on it once in awhile. then your friends come over! oh boy! your friends and you play on the trampoline like its the best thing ever and your friends leave wishing they had a trampoline too. this happens over and over. then soon, you hardly touch the trampoline, your friends still thinks its great but when they come over youre like: nahhh, lets do something else.

and i know i wasnt the only one this happened to, not by a long shot. i dont expect anyone to be like: oh yes sovieto, youre right... it is like a trampoline and i hardly play it anymore!
i just want people to read this, let it sink in, let them know, whether they admit it or not, this is the truth. YES. i am confident this is how it goes, because it has happened to every single person i know personally who owns a wii.

Bliss said:
Wow, well that was a shocker. The Wii IS selling for its fun factor. What kid, adult, elderly person that has picked up a Wiimote and it didnt bring a smile to there face? How many of those people do you know? Cause damn im 25 and its hard to amuse mebut i know when i played Wii Sports for the first time i was like "damn this is great and a lot of fun". Yes it has that whole "soccer mom" approach as well but thats only cuz they want to involve the older crowd as well, the person who never picked up a controller before. And yes the Wii (as of now) does lack "quality" games, but that doesnt mean they arent fun. Sh|t i could throw in Mario and Sonic at the Olympics and have a blast with a few buddies...And playing past games is one of the main reason why the Wii is sellin the way it is, cuz including myself and a lot of my friends we always "damn what happened to the games we grew up on". We always wished we can play them without bustin out the NES or which ever system the game was on. So just cuz something isnt "fun" for you, doesnt mean everyone else feels that way.
i read like the first 3 sentences, then i fell over your wall and broke my eye. read the paragraph above this.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a value drop on technology. Not a quality drop. Although I'd like a value increase on software. I'd like a good job there, but open source is ruining it.

Sovieto said:
great, you sold 2 familiys on the wii, ive sold a couple million myself on it too. but once they get it do you think they really play it actively? .

I'm having a hard time believing you actually have 2 friends who live physically near you, so your "couple million" is very hard to swallow.

I played Tiger Woods '08 with the husbands and, yes, Wii Sports with the wives. They won't buy the Wii for their 3 and 5 year old, they will buy it for themselves. I know for a fact that my brother and his family play the Wii actively. And I know for a fact that the people who came over to play at my brother's when I had the Wii over there, play actively on the ones they bought.

I have games I play when my friends are over and ones I play alone. I don't play video games every waking hour when I get home from work, I have a social life that takes me out of the house, maybe you should try working on one.

Sovieto said:
i read like the first 3 sentences, then i fell over your wall and broke my eye. read the paragraph above this.

damn you really are a cocky little s.o.b arent you?

So what do you want a medal? Cause you feel your bored of the Wii. Get rid of it, sell it. I'll admit and i know the Wii is a tad dull sometimes, BUT thats only cause no third party dev. has stepped up yet. Nintendo themselves can only do so much. Just sit back and wait for developers to jump. Now with WiiWare i bet it opens more doors and better games.

yeah thats what i dont get people go about saying no one een plays their wii BUT why tell us that the wii is pretty much failing when in fact there is this matter called an opinion that should come into account. I wont change my opinion and yes i am an ignorent bastard :lol:

Sovieto said:
you know, ever since the week after i bought a wii on its launch date i realized...
the wii is like a trampoline, its really fun once you get it!!!!! its sooo fun! you think theres nothing better. then after a week or 2 it kinda gets boring, you go on it once in awhile. then your friends come over! oh boy! your friends and you play on the trampoline like its the best thing ever and your friends leave wishing they had a trampoline too. this happens over and over. then soon, you hardly touch the trampoline, your friends still thinks its great but when they come over youre like: nahhh, lets do something else.

I will agree it was like that the first month I got it. But think about it the same would for the 360 or PS3. When I first bought those there were only like 2 good games that you could play, which I ended up beating and then got bored of it. Now over a year into the 360 it has tons of games and options, the Wii for me is the same way, I have several games and continue to play it every day.

I already own many Wii games I haven't played more than a handful of minutes to check them out. They are on my "to do" list. Not to mention the 9 more games I already know I want, and 6 more that I have my eye on but haven't been released yet so the jury is still out.

I'm trying to reign-in my Wii-ADD and focus on one game at a time. I was jumping around a lot and it was messing me up more than it was helping "keep things fresh". So even my precious Zelda is on-hold until I finish Tomb Raider.

Back