Wii to PC Monitor

ben213

WiiChat Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum and I have done a brief search with no deep answer to my question - what I want to do is connect my Wii to my LCD monitor. I've read up a lot and i've seen various methods.

My monitor has VGA (d-sub) in and DVI in. My Wii has composite out or component out. Basically my question is this; I have a poor quality TV but a good quality widescreen monitor (asus mw221u if it matters)

1. Can I connect the Wii directly to the monitor with some form of adapter cable such as component RCA to DVI/VGA? Eg. 3 male component RCA to 3 femal RCA to 1 male VGA?

2. If not, will I have to invest in a converter box to make the image fit my screens resolution (usually 1680*1050)

Thank you very much for any help; i've yet to find a solid answer and I don't want to purchase one of the costly converter boxes if I don't have to.

I think most people have converter boxes. I have a 65" HDTV...so I wasn't TOO interested.

From the looks of it, you know your **** a lot better than 99% of the people here. All I can say is try it.

My Wii is connected to a 20.1" Widescreen PC Monitor (VGA D-sub connection). I use the KWorld TVBox 1680ex to connect the Wii and other video components to this monitor.

$62 after shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815260010R&ATT=15-260-010R&CMP=OTC-Froogle&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Video+Devices+++TV+Tuners-_-Kworld+Computer+Co.+Ltd-_-15260010R

It supports 1080p audio, HD-TV tuner, Svideo, and RCA, etc.

See Spoiler for SPECS!
:yesnod:

Model Brand document.write(neg_specification_newline('KWORLD')); KWORLD Model document.write(neg_specification_newline('KW-SA220')); KW-SA220 Specifications TV Tuner document.write(neg_specification_newline('Yes')); Yes FM Tuner document.write(neg_specification_newline('No')); No Remote Control document.write(neg_specification_newline('Yes')); Yes Interface document.write(neg_specification_newline('VGA')); VGA Video Display document.write(neg_specification_newline('800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1680x1050')); 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1680x1050 Ports In document.write(neg_specification_newline('Composite video input (RCA)
S-Video input (4PIN)
YPbPr input (RCA)
VGA input
Mini jack (stereo) (3.5mm)')); Composite video input (RCA)
S-Video input (4PIN)
YPbPr input (RCA)
VGA input
Mini jack (stereo) (3.5mm) Ports Out document.write(neg_specification_newline('D-SUB output
Composite video output
Mini jack (stereo) (3.5mm)')); D-SUB output
Composite video output
Mini jack (stereo) (3.5mm) System Requirements document.write(neg_specification_newline('No specific PC system required
LCD, CRT, Plasma or projectors with VGA or Component Video input
Video input device (e.g. VCR, V8, DVD player, TV game console etc.)')); No specific PC system required
LCD, CRT, Plasma or projectors with VGA or Component Video input
Video input device (e.g. VCR, V8, DVD player, TV game console etc.) Specifications document.write(neg_specification_newline('Power: 5V DC, 800mA')); Power: 5V DC, 800mA Features Features document.write(neg_specification_newline('Supports widescreen LCD 1680x1050 resolution LCD TV Box
*Compatible with (VGA(800x600), XGA(1024x768), SXGA(1280x1024), WXGA+(1440X900), 1680X1050
Includes advanced scanning frequency increasing technology to make the refresh rate up to 60Hz or 75Hz, which delivers stable pictures without flicker.
Supports 4:3/16:9 / 16:10 picture aspect ratio.
Allows multi-channel pre-view function to facilitate the channel selection.
Enables still-picture function, which allows you to capture wonderful moments in TV program.
Special PIP function: window size and position are adjustable. (*PIP Mode can’t work on 1680x1050)
Full-function remote control.
3D-effect OSD to give easy operations.
AV/S-VIDEO/YPbPr input interface can be extended by using MMI cable so that the product can be connected with DVD, PS2 game machine etc. The product supports standard-definition and high-definition signal input (480I/ 480P/ 576I/ 576P/ 720P/ 1080I).
Auxiliary functions such as automatic power up or shutdown within 24 hours, calendar, calculator, game and etc.
Channel number ordering function allows you to arrange the order of programs as your favorites.
PC/TV changeover switch.
Support video output function.
Built in Speaker so there is no need for external speakers')); Supports widescreen LCD 1680x1050 resolution LCD TV Box
*Compatible with (VGA(800x600), XGA(1024x768), SXGA(1280x1024), WXGA+(1440X900), 1680X1050
Includes advanced scanning frequency increasing technology to make the refresh rate up to 60Hz or 75Hz, which delivers stable pictures without flicker.
Supports 4:3/16:9 / 16:10 picture aspect ratio.
Allows multi-channel pre-view function to facilitate the channel selection.
Enables still-picture function, which allows you to capture wonderful moments in TV program.
Special PIP function: window size and position are adjustable. (*PIP Mode can’t work on 1680x1050)
Full-function remote control.
3D-effect OSD to give easy operations.
AV/S-VIDEO/YPbPr input interface can be extended by using MMI cable so that the product can be connected with DVD, PS2 game machine etc. The product supports standard-definition and high-definition signal input (480I/ 480P/ 576I/ 576P/ 720P/ 1080I).
Auxiliary functions such as automatic power up or shutdown within 24 hours, calendar, calculator, game and etc.
Channel number ordering function allows you to arrange the order of programs as your favorites.
PC/TV changeover switch.
Support video output function.
Built in Speaker so there is no need for external speakers

Last edited:
I'd like to know how to do this for my Wii aswell.
I have a Sony SDM-E96DB 19in TFT monitor lol. I have no clue what to do to connect it up :(

Hi
few things first

Hope u had a good xmas

Sorry to hijack another thread(just seemed silly to start another:aureola: )

And

Hi:yesnod:

I have a Dell 2407 monitor that has the standard component inputs, I have tried using these with the correct wii component cable and it worlks fine on this monitor but the picture quality is terrible.
If i use the same leads on my TV (which is a 26'' flat screen Samsung then the picture is far far better.

Anybody know why the picture quality is so poor using my PC monitor?? I thought that the component cables are bettter that a VGA and i thought that PC monitors where better picture quality

Thanks for your help

crazymilk said:
I have a Dell 2407 monitor that has the standard component inputs, I have tried using these with the correct wii component cable and it worlks fine on this monitor but the picture quality is terrible...

Assuming your settings are correct on the Wii Menu, I would inspect the Monitor's settings. First let it Auto Adjust then check other tuning settings like resolution, brightness, contrast, etc.

If you've been through this then I am no help. My monitor has D-sub connector.

Wii_Smurf said:
I'd like to know how to do this for my Wii aswell.
I have a Sony SDM-E96DB 19in TFT monitor lol. I have no clue what to do to connect it up :(

Any help here?

The Monitor: In other words this

632870139729531250223.jpg

idjut said:
Assuming your settings are correct on the Wii Menu, I would inspect the Monitor's settings. First let it Auto Adjust then check other tuning settings like resolution, brightness, contrast, etc.

If you've been through this then I am no help. My monitor has D-sub connector.

Thanks m8

Any idea what the correct settings onthe wii should be ???

idjut said:
I own the KWorld TVBox 1680ex on my 20.1" monitor (D-sub).
I wondered if monitor with a Digital Connection would be better, but I am happy.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...+Tuners-_-Kworld+Computer+Co.+Ltd-_-15260010R

Hey cool - so you have a similar monitor to me - 1680*1050 right? Do you use component cables from your wii to the tv box? Also do you think the tv box is necessary? Basically I wanted to get the highest picture quality on my monitor whilst spending as little as possible (I realise that this may not be possible..lol).

Does the box do a good job? Cheers mate

CrazyMilk. Its probably cos the PC monitor is higher res, and PC monitors dont have upscaling features, so if you plug in a low-res input the monitor isnt going to try and smooth out those pixelly edges. Itll just be hell blocky. Then theres the fact you are probably sitting closer to your PC monitor than your TV so this pixelly effect would be even worse.
On our 55" TV Wii can look quite pleasent, not as good as 360, bot good never the less...

idjut said:
I own the KWorld TVBox 1680ex on my 20.1" monitor (D-sub).
I wondered if monitor with a Digital Connection would be better, but I am happy.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...+Tuners-_-Kworld+Computer+Co.+Ltd-_-15260010R

Hey mate - does that KWorld box contain a cable that goes from the Wii component (or s-video) to the MMI in slot in the KWorld box? This info would REALLY help me - much appreciated

ben213 said:
Do you use component cables from your wii to the tv box? Also do you think the tv box is necessary?... Does the box do a good job? Cheers mate

Hello, sorry for the delay. I overlooked this thread.
Yes, I use component cables to the TV box.
If your monitor has a D-sub connector, then yes the TV box is necessary.

If the monitor has a digital connector or component cables input then you may want a different solution.

I'm pleased with the solution, but I am sure a monitor with native Digital Connection or Component inputs may have a noticeable improvement.

ben213 said:
Hey mate - does that KWorld box contain a cable that goes from the Wii component (or s-video) to the MMI in slot in the KWorld box? This info would REALLY help me - much appreciated

2 MMI cables supplied.
Cable 1: Component (RGB) and Red White Audio.
Cable 2: Yellow Red White RCA plugs.

Only 1 MMI cable can be connected to the TV box at a time.

Wii_Smurf said:
Any help here?

The Monitor: In other words this

632870139729531250223.jpg

You will want a different TV Box solution to use the DVI port on your monitor... just in case there may be an advantage.

Back