Wii to PC

joe_dunn03

WiiChat Member
Jan 16, 2007
Lo. Right it would appear as though connecting a Wii to a TFT is ridiculously complicated and even it is achievable the picture will be awful because it won't be running at the TFTs native resolution (and we all know how bad that looks!).

So... The solution seems to be to run via a tuner card. This is what I do in my living room to put the image through the PC onto the projector (via VGA) but in my room I only have TFTs. I do not fancy buying a CRT while although this would work perfectly, they're huge. Far too big. And don't look cool at all!
However I also don't want to run the Wii via the composite cable into a tuner card. While this is the easiest solution, the picture is less than snappy (fuzziness around text etc) because of the analogue signal for all colours going down one very small wire. So what I want to do is to run my HDTV Component lead for the Wii with 3 RCA connectors on into a tuner card and display it on my TFTs this way. Obviously then it will be running at the TFT native resolution - 1280x1024 in this case.

Sounds simple enough? A USB or PCI card that will accept 3x component input (not composite). No. Can't find one anywhere! Does anybody have any ideas of where I could find one? Then I can report back to here about how well or how badly it works, since this seems to be a very popular request (to run via TFT). It is easy to get component outputs from a PC - nearly every video card now comes with these dongles (my two nVidia cards certainly did).

Cheers.
J

Fraid not - that's the problem. If I use VGA then it requires the TFTs to run at 480p which they can't do. And even if they could it would look bad because of the non-native resolution of the TFT.

e.g. if you have a TFT, try setting your desktop to the lowest resolution possible (probably 800x600) and see how it looks - fuzzy!

Don't have one! In my living room I have a PC with a projector and an NTL cable box connected to a tuner card. I then run my Wii through that PC onto the projector. It all looks very flash to anyone who comes to play but essentially it is crap! The screen is too large to be able to aim properly on any real games. Wii Sports is great on it but Far Cry etc is just pants. Hence wanting to run on a nice clear TFT.

And in my room I have a freeview USB box with an old-school aerial connector.

So no TV :shocked:

Sorry to come into this almost 2 weeks after the fact but I just spent several hours trying to find the golden solution to this very problem.

All these component to VGA converters are BS!!!! Either they will display 480p BUT NOT 480i (WWW.WTF.COM), or make you jump through some hoops to get the right adapters which in turn degrades the quality anyways.

And in my case, I have a widescreen monitor which will make those nice 4:3 ratio ONLY games stretch to fit the screen. So, I would definitely need something that will allow me to control the screen aspect and size.

I came to the same conclusion that a high quality tv tuner card would solve all this but none are to be found that have the proper YPbPr inputs. Why not just get a TV? BECAUSE THIS IS THE AGE OF TECHNOLOGY :p .... I demand the satisfaction of using ONE output...

anyways, I think this issue should be escalated further. Hopefully one of us comes across the holy grail of video devices for under 300 bucks. Seriously, whats the best way? I found this:

http://www.provantage.com/startech-vid2vgatv~7STRV013.htm

but it shows no indicated of supporting 480i... anyone else have any info?

Back