Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Wii to surpass Xbox 360 by '08?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by JerrodDRagon, Feb 15, 2007.

1. JerrodDRagon

JerrodDRagon Wii New and Reviews

Wii Friend Code: 8369-4137-0402-8056
    8369-4137-0402-8056
    Wii will not only surpass the Xbox 360 installed base, but the console may do so as early as 2008. This bold Nintendo Wii assertion comes by way of Reggie Fils-Aime in a recent interview with Dean Takahashi.

"The question is when," he said on the subject on Wii toppling Xbox 360. "That's going to be driven by our own sales rate and getting good software released at the right time. It's clear they are slowing down. It's not unthinkable to see that next year we could surpass their installed base."

When confronted with the baffling fact that Bill Gates doesn't consider Nintendo's console competition, Fils-Aime dismissed it.

"When you're as rich as Bill is, you can say anything," Reggie said. "They have done some things that are brilliant at Microsoft. We want to bring gaming back to the masses. Consumers are voting with their wallets and pocketbooks."

And with the way the voting has gone so far, there will be no need for a recount.

Here's the source http://www.nintendorevolution.ca/02122007/10/reggie_nintendo_wii_will_overtake_xbox_360_quickly

2. GreenBean713

GreenBean713 WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 6284-7358-9967-2086
    6284-7358-9967-2086
    i deff think it will. wii is shipping out over 700k a month. atleast. and i work at a gamestop/eb games. and basically i get over 30 calls a day. "do you have any wiis" weve tabbed it. and wii sold over 1.1 by the end of the year.

360 has 2 million units in the american homes. wii is catching up at a fast rate. and extremly.

the only reason microsoft isnt worried is because of one market. the online gaming. which soon wii will have. nintendo has always looked ahead. and this time, its perfect timing.

3. Sovieto

Sovieto Banned

what was all that BS about: WE're not trying to compete against 360 and ps3

not their just gloating because they got off to a good start even though its long term that counts which so far wtih the wii dosent look promising unless a grade A game comes out every week

just read that above post, 360 has 2 million units in america....you dont deserve to give your opinion if you think that xD

4. WeToYou

WeToYou WiiChat Member

Wii won't surpass xbox.

5. JerrodDRagon

8369-4137-0402-8056
    Why not? Name over 10 good games that are exclusive to the 360?
    I can name over 12 exclusive games on the Wii that are good.
    Next we have the Virual Console which this year will be giving us games like Star Fox 64, Donkey Kong country and Mario Kart (SNES)

Plus we have Super Smash with FREE online, plus Metriod, Pokemon, Battle Tanks and Mario Strikers, and now rumors that Mario Party many have online destroys the Xbox having Gears of war, Call of Duty, Vegas, Ghost Recon and Halo 3 for 50 dollars a year.

6. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Certified Public Asshole

Wii Friend Code: 1130-2954-1680-3052
    1130-2954-1680-3052

1. Gears of War
    2. Enchanted Arms
    3. Dead Or Alive 4
    4. Lost Planet
    5. Chromehounds
    6. Fuzion Frenzy 2
    7. Viva Pinata
    8. Battlestations Midway
    9. Perfect Dark Zero
    10. Crackdown
    11. Moto GP 06
    12. Kameo

And games to be coming out:

-Too Human
    -Halo 3
    -Halo Wars
    -Blue Dragon
    -Mercanaries 2
    -Dance Dance Revolution:Universe
    -Banjo Kazooie 3
    -Bullet Witch

And not to mention many other surprises that are currently not revealed. So please, instead of being the common fanboy, do your research.

7. Smurfette

Smurfette WiiChat Member

We own the wii and 360. I like the wii and my husband prefers the 360. It's all what you're looking for.

8. WeToYou

WeToYou WiiChat Member

Get both, hell get all three. They're all great. But Xbox has alot of good games dropping which will make sales blast off.

9. JerrodDRagon

8369-4137-0402-8056
    First off I loved the Xbox and thought it was the best last gen system (so no Im not a Nintendo fanboy)
    So let me ask you do you own all or Half of those games?
    Next Halo Wars is not out this year and neither is Banjo Kazooie 3 (can wait for that one) And you forgot to add mass Effect that game looks Sweet but I still want Kotor 3 for the 360 or Wii.
    Lastly the Wii also great AT LEAST 2 great games from the Virtual Console every month (Mario 64, Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Zelda, Zelda: Link to the Past, Street Fighter II: The World Warrior and Super Castlevania and more to come)
    But as of right now I am not impressed by the 360 and see no games (except Gears of War) That I really want. When Mass effect and Halo 3 come out I'll get a system. But if you look at a Calander of Nintendo's Paln to put game out your'll see at least one game you want from the Wii every 2 months (if not more) for me I see a new game I want every month, but most months have more than one good game coming out (this Month Sonic, Wii play and SSX blur come out) Thats not including VC games.
    But We'll have to wait until next Christmas to see who put out more good games and who offered more.

10. WeToYou

WeToYou WiiChat Member

Online Gaming in this day & age is the wanted thing. Xbox has that right now, Wii doesn't.

11. En4Neo

En4Neo Jet-Set-Jesse

From what I hear Bullet Witch sucks, but I think I can agree with everything else.

12. DrMclony

DrMclony Net Exile in lowtech land

personally i have no interest in any of those, particularly if it means buying a 360 when same or similar run on my pc. taste varies.

13. Wii_BrEnDo2007

Wii_BrEnDo2007 Gran Turismo

Wii Friend Code: 1234-1234-1234-1234
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    no 360 ganes catch my eye except forza 2 and thats not exclusive cause its on ps3 too.

14. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Certified Public Asshole

Wii Friend Code: 1130-2954-1680-3052
    1130-2954-1680-3052

Xbox wasn't the best last gen system, all it had was Halo and games for Star Wars buffs. Other than that, the system overall sucked. Playstation 2 took the market, and even had Japan's support, while Xbox was mostly used in North America and a lot of it was just for homebrewing and storing CDs. Also, unlike the Virtual console, the 360 (xbox live) gets games by publishers that are unique and new (i.e. Geometry wars, notice after the release of it, Every Extend Extra was soon released for the Psp.). Now I'm not backing sides on both terms, as I do enjoy both systems (and I'm soon to purchase a 360.). You're telling me that Blue Dragon, in which the creators of Final Fantasy have made, gives you no interest? As well as playing a game that was made by the people who made the original Grand Theft Auto? Right now, you, as well as many other posters are in something I like to call "Fanboy Denial". As for Wii Play, it's just a cheap alternative for a Wii remote and game, while the in depth of it all isn't that compelling.

15. JerrodDRagon

8369-4137-0402-8056
    Wll for me I would never buy Lost Planet for 60 bucks along with most of those games. Thats another reason I like the Wii becuase the games are cheaper but are still fun (like DBZ, Zelda, Trauma Center, and Wario Ware) Plus when some of the game prices drop for some of the games like Red Steel and Elbits go down in price I'll buy them. But also most of Nintendo's games are for everyone meaning Mario, Super Smash, Zelda, Mario Kart etc there games that overal most people like them while games like Lost Planet may not be your thing same with alot of other gun games on the 360.

Also someone said that the 360 has online, yes it does but who much are you paying for it? If you keep your 360 for 5 years your paying 250 bucks for online, while Wii owners get free online games, Free Demo Channel, Everyone votes channel, Weather Channel and News Channel Plus The Wii shop channel. Im not saying X-box live is not assume because it is but right now I see only a small hand ful of good online games like Gears of War and other gun
    games but what if your not a gun game fan? Then the Wii fits you better seeing how it gets a couple of guy titles but also has great Puzzle, Adventure , action games. Plus if you have the Wii Browser (which is free until June) you can play Wiiarcade games which they have over 60 titles on it FOR FREE, hell there not the best games but just as good as most X-Box arcade games.

16. sracer

sracer WiiChat Member

THIS may be the ace up Nintendo's sleeve.

If the full function Opera browser for Wii offers even greater integration/optimization for browsing on the Wii, then there is a great possibility of the "Internet Channel" busting the doors wide open on the Wii's future.

There are already Wii-optimized websites. There are already "media center portal" solutions out there... all free.

Compare Microsoft's XNA initiative (and how tightly that is controlled) with out-in-the-wild Flash gaming found on the 'net. It's going to be a lot easier and cheaper for weekend coders and hobbyists to develop for the Wii (via the Internet Channel) than through XNA. Not to mention the extreme restrictions on accessing homegrown XNA apps.

The openness of the Wii offers greater opportunities than the tight-fisted locked down environment of the 360. Whether or not those opportunities will be explored is another matter.

17. fakemxcan

fakemxcan WiiChat Member

there is one HUGE reason why the wii WILL surpass the 360, that being the fact that the wii has actually OUTSOLD the 360 everywhere else outside our region (north america). i know its hard for some of you, but there is a whole other world out there besides the us:ee5k:

18. wezeles

wezeles Guru of everything Ninty

Wii Friend Code: 6074-3351-1151-1701
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    i think the Wii will catch up just fine as for beating 360 the leader right now because of the release date... they do need top title games before the price of 360's drop down to a wallet friendly level...say 249.99 for a full new system.. wii will be introuble without the games to back it up.. unless somehow they can manage to drop the price of the Wii as well... which with gamecube it was easy it wasnt expensive to make but to drop the Wii down to that 100-150 range i dont think they can afford to do atleast not soon im sure it will eventually... thats pretty much what saved the gamecube... you had Ps2 and xbox at pretty much the same price for new systems they dropped but still about 250-300 bucks then bam the gamecube hit 99 bucks... now no new systems were comming out at that time.. everyone had the system they liked.. but all of a sudden for the price of 2 games you get a new system.. thats when gamecube made its comeback... outsold xbox and came damn close to Ps2... but that was a few years down the line.. and with the online game play of the other 2 systems and the titles they have Wii will have to do almost all of that if they want to beat them...

toss in online game play fast,toss in top titles... and keep the nintendo rock bottom prices that even your grandma will buy one for her living room... and even the hardcore PS and Xbox fans have no good reason not to buy one...

its a wait and see thing but with they way they are selling nintendo will have enough money to do it

19. fakemxcan

fakemxcan WiiChat Member

20. Axtlar

Axtlar Del fuego he resurgido...

Wii Friend Code: 7688-9638-8193-7668
    7688-9638-8193-7668

He said GOOD GAMES, not stupid, shitty ones like most of the ones you mentioned you idiot..Pefect Dark Zero good? yeah right! Kameo? what the hell?