Wii To WiiU Data Transfer Explained

hybrid -x1

~graceful assassin~
Sep 14, 2010
Shooting Star Suimmit
Wii Online Code
1000-2000-3000-4000
The instruction manual which comes with Wii U states exactly how you transfer data from your existing Wii console to your shiny new Wii U. First, you need to insert an SD card into your Wii U to initiate the process using the console’s Wii System Transfer. After doing this process you need to put the same SD card into your Wii, and download another transfer application from the Wii Shop Channel. This application will transfer data to the card that must be placed back into Wii U when prompted. This is when the Wii data is moved to Wii U and deleted from the SD card. Data that can be transferred includes:

Wii Software save data
WiiWare and save data
Virtual Console titles and save data
Add-on content
Wii Points
Wii Shop Channel activity
Mii characters

wii-discs.jpg
source: mynintendonews

Last edited:
UPDATE:

After spending some alone time with our Wii U review unit, we've flipped through the manual and learned exactly how you'll be able to move all your precious Wii data over to a new Wii U.The process is a bit complicated. An SD card (with at least 512MB of free space) must first be inserted into the Wii U, after which the system transfer option can be selected from the Wii U menu. The SD card is then moved to the Wii, where a "transfer application" is downloaded from the Wii Shop. Said app moves all of the Wii's data (save for pre-installed software) to the SD card. Once that's done, the card is popped back into the Wii U and, finally, the data is transferred to the new console.

Both the Wii and Wii U must be connected to the internet – presumably to verify the associated Wii user – and connected to a TV, meaning you'll either have to swap TV inputs or swap cables during the process. Data transferred includes WiiWare and Virtual Console games, save data for all games, DLC, Wii Points and Miis.

Once the transfer is complete, that's it. All data will be deleted from the Wii and moved to the Wii U, after which the data on the SD card is also erased. Data cannot be transferred from a Wii U to a Wii. We'll have a detailed video of the process for you when the Wii U officially launches later this month.

wiiudatawatermark.png

source joystiq

Because erasing it only from the SD card is a terrible idea, ain't it? =/ Don't see why they need t' delete the data from the Wii as well. If backwards online compatibility won't exist, I'll be deletin' my MKW, Brawl, etc. data for literally no reason.

Online games backward is the huge question here, and im my opinion is a absolute failure if they don't transfer those. Anyone got any info on it?

What happens if I have all of my virtual console games on a SD card already? i can't transfer them to the Wii as it doesn't have enough memory. Would I lose my gamesaves for those games or anything?

Back