Wii+USB Fan+Brawl= Disc Error?

samXcor3

the best kid!
Oct 2, 2007
Wii Online Code
3732-3369-2853-4491
So everyone knows about the disc errors japanese players got when booting up brawl. do you think this will happen in the US? also do you think a USB fan would increase or decrease the chances of this, by cooling the system off, or would it tax the system, use more energy and cause it to happen sooner??

powered USB devices won't tax the CPU/GPU/RAM :)

the power these devices draw doesn't pull from the the small power requirements of the chips...

but then... i'm not savvy on the boot issue... maybe that's what firmware v3.2 is for?

Yea, the fan doesn't effect performance really but it does use up power. My theory is: Because the power supply can only give out so much power, i'm not exactly sure how much, the fan could be sucking up too much power so the cpu and gpu are being underpowered, which is bad. The better the graphics are, the harder the CPUs must work, which means more power is needed. Without the fan, the power supply will definitely be able to supply enough power but with the fan leeching off of it, it might not get enough. So if this happens, the game will either slow down and you might get artifacts on your screen and such or a crash. Just a theory.

USB should only pull 5 volts, and in most cases, when a fixed system (like a laptop or game system) is made, they are given a power supply system that is greater then the maximum demand. So in reality, it should never be an issue.

I didnt design the Wii so I cant know for certain, but it would be common sense for the power supply to provide enough power for all device ports and system components without issue.

can one of you show an article on what youre talking about? all i find is articles on dirty lasers having problems with the dual layer dvd.

Pnuts said:
USB should only pull 5 volts, and in most cases, when a fixed system (like a laptop or game system) is made, they are given a power supply system that is greater then the maximum demand. So in reality, it should never be an issue.

I didnt design the Wii so I cant know for certain, but it would be common sense for the power supply to provide enough power for all device ports and system components without issue.

yes, that is what every hardware developer should do. But you never know what they do to cut costs, make it more efficient, etc.

COLDshiver said:
yes, that is what every hardware developer should do. But you never know what they do to cut costs, make it more efficient, etc.

True, but hopefully they are good, I believe in Nintendo. A good example of cost cutting would be my Toshiba laptop. It has 2 usb ports, 1 on each side. 1 is labelled with a little lightning bolt designating power, the other isnt.

well its been confirmed that the japanese booting issue wa because of dust on the lense. if you get this problem you have to send your wii to nintendo for cleaning.

Back