Wii VC Hacked

iplaywii

Nintendo Wii
Dec 7, 2006
So I bought Super Mario 64 from the virtual console and was playing with the data management on my Wii. All I have to do is "copy" Super Mario 64 from my Wii to an SD card and I could upload it to the internet to all you guys to have for "free". Then all you would have to do is take the file, put it on your SD card, and load it into your Wii.

My point is... how long is it gonna be before a website is having all the virtual console games for free download!!! I figured Nintendo would have thought of this one!

The video games from Nintendo downloaded to the Wii are locked to that specific Wii.

The files essentially are "encrypted" of sorts.

SuperH said:
The video games from Nintendo downloaded to the Wii are locked to that specific Wii.

The files essentially are "encrypted" of sorts.

Makes sense! Still looks like an open door to me though... for someone to find a way around it, easily.

even if the datas on the sd card in your wii, you wont have the channel on your wii home page for the game.

their connected to the console, it wont work. not this simply anyhow

Well, it was only a matter of time before this happened. A group of guys have figured out how to crack the SNES Virtual Console game 'F-Zero', and, get this, they have posted it online available to download via bittorrent. The size of the file seems reasonable at 3.8MB, which is about the size of most SNES roms that you can get off of emulation websites. Here is some info about the torrent that is avaliable to download here:

iND presents,F-Zero.SNES-VC.NTSC.Wii-iNDSize : 3 487 808 octetsSupport : SD Card / WiiProtection : NothingNeeded: - Nintendo Wii - SD Memory Card - Saved Channel *Included*Instructions : Access your SD card and place the file named 'private'onto the drive. Take the card out of your system andplace it in the Wii. Navigate to your Wii memory management settingsand find the section that is labeled 'Channels'. You will find two tabsinside, one for your Wii and the other for the SD card. Select the SDtab and you will find the saved channel present. Copy it to your Wiiand you will be done.

done and done. lol

http://nfo.ngindex.com/postinfo.php?nfoid=413735&&image= available here

can anyone verify this is real/works for me? it's not tested as i have no sd card

Last edited:
Yeah I've been researching, found the same article and downloaded the torrent of F-Zero, but it didn't work. When I put it on the Wii it has "???" for the block where the F-Zero folder was.

The .data file was 3.32 meg, but when I copied Mario from my Wii to my SD it was only like 78KB. So, I dunno. It has been done I just haven't got to play enough. Only a matter of time...

Wii17 said:
hmm thanks for testing it man maybe ninty blocked it with firmware.

No prob, dude. Yeah, they probably did block it. I'd say there is still a lot of work to get around the encryption! It can be done though...

Just now kept playing and you can actually see the F-Zero icon pop up under SD Channels. It's there and everything, when you try to copy it to the Wii system memory; however, it says it cannot be copied. There's a number beside the icon like (27), (136), etc. Wonder what that refers to?

Mario Famous said:
I works, hacking the VC was quite simple once you really look at it. Encoded or not, it's always possible to share or import files via a usb device.
ok sounds like youve done this then educate us and tell us how

Yeah and I hope people do it seeing how 8-10 bucks for a VC game is too much, seeing how most of these games I arleady brought or had you should be abe to get a discount if you can prove you have the game on a older system.

Back