wii vga cables

epikon

WiiChat Member
Nov 11, 2006
UK
Wii Online Code
6669-5605-4028-6511
Ive ran some google searches and some places are saying that nintendo will be releasing vga cables but in other places im reading that you can only use a 3rd party vga transfor (i dont want to use this) which can be dodgy. whats the actual truth regarding this matter. I am looking to buy a new monitor and tv after christmas anyway but i would rather by just the monitor. thanks.

:) Yes they are the av cables that connect it to your t.v. Im wondering if they will be releasing a vga cable. Ive read they are and ive read they are not..

Probably a 3rd party hardware since not a lot of people plays their consoles on a PC monitor. Besides without HDTV support it'll look horrible.

I've answered this a few times, but don't worry, those threads are old and you're new.

I emailed Nintendo with this exact question and here is what they said:
Hi,

The specs I have for Wii indicate that it will have one multi-out port for component, composite, or S-video. If your computer monitor accepts one of these inputs, you should be able to use your computer monitor as the Wii display. Another option is to install a video capture card in your computer. However, the video capture cards often introduce delays with can negatively impact the playability of video games using that method. Most people will have the best results in using Wii with a TV display.

Nintendo of America Inc.
Mike Chandler
So, just make sure your monitor has one of these inputs (component inputs are what you should look for because that will give you the best quality picture, with s-video coming in second and composite inputs being the worst). There are tons of monitors that have all these inputs. You should also go with one that has 480p resolution and if possible, make it a widescreen. This will allow you to get the best possible picture and many games for Wii will be playable in widescreen. Also, obviously, get as big a monitor as possible and make sure the refresh rate is at least 8ms; anything with a higher refresh rate number may delay the picture you see.

Nintendo had hinted at a VGA cable for Wii when it was first announced, but since then they have taken back that statement. Still, it's probably possible and perhaps a 3rd party will do it.

I have a VGA port in my TV (640x480). Will this run at 480p with the right cable?

M.

P.S. I do NOT have component inputs, but do have RGB Scart, which would be the best alternative.

Back