Wii Video problems

peppera

Pepper
Dec 11, 2006
Bridgend, Wales
Wii Online Code
1424-9421-1866-9993
Even after converting avi to MPEG using Wii Video 9, my Wii won't recognise the file. It will read the file name but it says it is in an incompatible format.

Anyone got any ponters? Would be much appreciated! I want to play new episodes of Battlestar Galactica....

con77 said:
i think its some sort of program on your computer to convert videos for the wii if you have a mod chip

am i correct ????
It's a video converter of some sort, but I don't think it has anything to do with a mod chip, I think even an unmodded Wii will play the video

gamechaser001 said:
It's a video converter of some sort, but I don't think it has anything to do with a mod chip, I think even an unmodded Wii will play the video

if thats true i want in lol

Well actually in my computer wii video didn't work either. Try converting the video with quicktime pro... One thing to note is that most of the times your quicktime pro will fail to load avi file correctly -- so you have to convert *.avi file to *.mov file and then convert it in right format. Although in operation manual says that Wii plays *.mov files, it doesn't play all of mov files but very few mov file in right format. If you google with this keyword "wii video encode", you will be able to find how you encode your mov file with quicktime pro.

con77 said:
if thats true i want in lol
Well, i'm not sure if it works without a modchip, but Wii Video9 seems to be made by the same people that makes PSP Video 9, am I wrong? I'm pretty sure that PSP Video 9 wasn't made by some amature programmer, i'm pretty sure there is some orgaizational stuff going on behind the scenes (that is unless you have to pay for it, but I don't think you do), and I don't think that the orginization wants to be sued for making a program that requires a mod chip for those video files to work, being that the Wii owner will want videos on their Wii, figure out they need a mod chip, get a mod chip fitted, now that mod chip will allow for a lot more than just video playback, and because of that, there would be problems, like the suing I mentioned above

all you do is download a movie onto your SD card just like mp3's go to the photo channel and play it... quicktime is a good converter but you can find plenty of free converters on download.com or whatever... problem with converting any video is they have one little hickup in the process while converting.. and it doesnt work...

To reiterate, I'm not using a mod chip! WiiVideo 9 is a free download which converts .avi (and other formats) into uncompressed MPEG video, which in theory should play on the Wii.

The drawback being that a 350MB .avi file becomes about 1.1GB mpeg, so you need a 2GB SD card for even one episode of lost...

Also, I can't get it to work, but maybe my PC 'hiccupped' during the process - though the Wii does say it is an incompatible format when I attempt to play the movie on the photo channel

Hmm you know what i find strange? My digital Camera records video on SD the format it uses is AVI and those play fine on the Wii have you try'd just playing it as an AVI?

I will physically kick myself if this is the case.... :scared:

The thought crossed my mind this morning - I haven't actually tried playing the original .avi file which most torrents come in anyway.

i tossed a few different formants on one SD just to see what happened... some work some dont... some of the same work some dont..lol i had 3 avi... 2 worked...
mpeg 2.... 1 worked..... .mov 2.... both worked.... mp4..2 neaither worked... im gonna mess with it some more try to figure out exactly what the deal is...

Rumour has it the audio encoding is a cause of most compatibility problems, so altering the the audio to mp3 using a media converter might be a way forward.

good find... probably why im having issues we should start making a list of formats it will support video and audio in... kinda odd though you would think mp4 video would work perfect if that was the case...

Remember that .avi is not a format but a file container! An .avi file can be video in one of many formats, which is why you often need to download codecs to play some .avi files.

It's a little confusing, because .mpg is an mpeg file, and .mov is a Quicktime file, but .avi just indicates that it's a video - it can be many different "flavours". I presume this is why people are reporting success with some .avi files, but not others.

Back