Wii Video Settings... fixing Jaggedness on HDTV?

garyb

WiiChat Member
Dec 26, 2007
Hi I have a Toshiba 42" 1080P HDTV that is 120 HZ. I use Component cables and have the setting on 480P.

When playing Wii Sports there is a jagged pixels on the Bowling Pins. Playing Madden 08 it's jagged pixels around the players.

If I go and change the settings to 480i it's smooths most of this out. But that's 480i on component cables. I'm wondering if my 120 Hz refresh rate is affecting it? Or it's just the wii?

I don't understand how 480P looks works than 480i? Also super Mario Galaxy is pretty jagged too on 480P.

So what should I do? Stick with 480i so it looks smoother? I want to use 480p but I hate how pixelated it is.

This is my TV if the exact model matters...
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010087538&catid=23524

garyb said:
Hi I have a Toshiba 42" 1080P HDTV that is 120 HZ. I use Component cables and have the setting on 480P.

When playing Wii Sports there is a jagged pixels on the Bowling Pins. Playing Madden 08 it's jagged pixels around the players.

If I go and change the settings to 480i it's smooths most of this out. But that's 480i on component cables. I'm wondering if my 120 Hz refresh rate is affecting it? Or it's just the wii?

I don't understand how 480P looks works than 480i? Also super Mario Galaxy is pretty jagged too on 480P.

So what should I do? Stick with 480i so it looks smoother? I want to use 480p but I hate how pixelated it is.

This is my TV if the exact model matters...
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010087538&catid=23524

I don't think it's your T.V.

The wii dosen't have Antialising, which Is a way to smooth out the jaggedy edges. The bigger the image is and the higher the resolution ( two things you are getting on your T.V.) the more apparent the jaggies will be.

The wii is mean't to display in 480P but the size of your T.V. makes the jaggies show a a lot more than if it was displayed on a smaller T.V. You may have to settle for a lower resolution to smooth out the jaggies.

Ps:

Happy holidays and... NICE T.V.!

Last edited:
Well I figured out 1 thing that fixed most of my problem. So incase anyone needed to know I thought I post what I figured out for my TV.

On my TV there is a setting called "Vertical Edge Enhancement" which was set to high. I turned this to OFF. And suddenly 90-95% of the jaggedness was gone.

So check your tv and see if you have that setting and turn it off. It apparently turns up the detail or something when set on high.

Back