wii widescreen mode

fitzbean

WiiChat Member
Feb 13, 2007
Hi guys, just picked up my wii a few days ago. Enjoying it.

However, after setting up the wii to widescreen 16:9, I noticed that some of the picture is actually still cut-off on the sides. Like it's trying to do even wider than that. I have the component cables and a Samsung 1080i TV. There is a button on the tv remote that usually switches between different modes which I thought i could use to fix it, but the tv displays a little message "not available" when I try to use it when the Wii is the source, which I've seen happen before with say the DVD player at times. I just don't know what else to do. It appears to be displaying a 20:9 or so. Anyone else experience this?

thanks
brad

i'm guessing you have a widescreen tv right? If so, then it's probably your viewing option for your tv. Mine can change from 4:3 to 16:9 and a few other similar modes. I think you might have kept it at 4:3 or something and need to change it to 16:9.

Hi Cold -

Yes, it a widescreen tv - but the tv doesn't let me change the mode while the WII is on as I mentioned. It says "Not available". Odd, haven't had this problem with anything else.

My widescreen does the same thing. The edges are cut off. The TV is automatically set for wide screen and if I try to change it, is say "unavailable". Wierd.

I knew i couldn't be the only one! What kind of TV do you have?

Lol, Tv works fine with everything else, including the 360 and HDTV feeds. It actually looks like it's a WII thing. I heard Nintendo did some funky (cheaper) stuff to produce wide-screen sadly.

i have a phillips widescreen and it does the same thing.. it's not just your tv its just how it is set up.. i think when you watch it in normal (4:3) mode the corners are rounded a little, but in widescreen they aren't so that makes up the little difference.. really doesn't take away from the game though

I still think it's unacceptable. That still doesn't explain why it would happen with the WII but nothing else, ya know?

First make sure you have component cables and have it set to 480p as well as widescreen. If it is still cutting sides, the game or part of game is not available in that format and will revert to standard.

No doubt i'm using component cables and have it in 480i. If I put it in standard def it doesn't cut off the sides. It's just a wii anomaly i'm afraid.

Back