Wii wont power?

NinWii2010

WiiChat Member
Nov 5, 2007
Got my Wii modded with Wikey about 3 mos ago, suddendly now it shut itself down in the middle of the game. And even worse now it won't power. Any similar experienced out there?

What game were you playing ?
was you wii connected to wiii connect 24 ?
any recent update you made ?

if so these could have been what lead to it not working (that is if it was the wiikeys fault)

anyway if it is totally bust there is nothing you carn do about it, you have voided the warrenty, and to be honest its your own fault, sorry but its the harsh truth

Same games as I always played. No not connect to Wii connect 24 and no update lately. F_CK.

well then i dont think its wiikey related, possibly could have been though.

any chance you got liquids in it?
any lightning storma recently?

a possibly thing you could try is getting a new power pack?
or a new fuse for the plug, maybe the fuse fried?

umm, soz i cant be of more help i will post any ideas up if i think of them

Lesson to be learned is if your gonna mod, jumping into the game early is going to be risky. Also, if your looking for mod troubleshooting, this forum is typically not the best place to go. The mod haters are much more outspoken that those sympathetic.

im not a mod hater, per se

i belive if u wanna mod go ahead, but if it braked its your own fault, deal with it, but

in this case the problem doesnt seem mod related, so i will try and help

Thanks for your times. Is there a way that I can RESET the whole system? Maybe I can open it up first to see if the kids have stuck something into the DVD Drive?

NinWii2010 said:
Thanks for your times. Is there a way that I can RESET the whole system? Maybe I can open it up first to see if the kids have stuck something into the DVD Drive?

i dont think you can press a button to reset the system, most you can do is reformat system memory, but the needs to be done from wii settings.

there is really no harm more that can be done by opening up the wii, as that would normally void the warrenty but you already have so not much difference.

still my best advise, replace the fuse in the wii power plug, if that doesnt work then i afraid i cant help.

I would call Nintendo support and explain to them what happened (of course not mentioning that its modded). See if you can get any suggestions out of them. I have not had to call them so I don't know if they instantly say send it in, or if they will try troubleshooting first... worth a try.

EDIT: heres what their website says:
No Power

1. Make sure that the word "Wii" and the model number "RVL-002 (USA)" molded into the AC adapter. Unlicensed products are not fully compatible and may not work correctly.
2. Avoid the use of unlicensed products such as memory cards, controllers, and cheat devices. Some of these products are poorly manufactured and may result in damage to your system. If one of these products is attached to your system, remove it and try resetting the AC Adapter (see below).
3. Check all accessories, licensed or not, for phsyical damage. Physical damage, such as frayed wiring or a cracked housing can cause the system to shut down. Remove any damaged products and try resetting the AC Adapter (see below).
4. Make sure the Wii has good ventilation. Avoid operating the Wii while it's on carpeting or inside an enclosed space. If you have the Wii placed in a vertical position, make sure the vent on the bottom is lined up properly with the hole in the plastic stand and no foreign material is obstructing that hole.
5. Check the vents on the back and side of the Wii for dust build up. The system will shut down if it cannot vent properly to prevent overheating. If there is a build-up, remove it using a vaccum cleaner with a soft brush attachment.
6. Make sure that your wall outlet works. To check it, try plugging a lamp into the same outlet where your system was plugged in. Turn the lamp on the verify the outlet works. Also, make sure you are not using an outlet that is operated from a wall switch. If you do, make sure the wall switch is in the ON position.
7. Make sure the AC adapter is attached properly. Firmly plug your AC adapter into the back of the Wii (the port is labeled 12V IN) and into a working wall outlet. Click here for detailed instructions.
8. Once plugged in, check the power light on the Power button to see if the system is receiving power.

If this fails, try resetting the AC adapter.

1. Unplug/remove all accessories from the system (including game discs, SD Cards, memory cards, Nintendo GameCube controllers, hookup cables, the AC Adapter, and Sensor Bar) from the outlet and Wii.
2. Let the system rest for about 90 seconds. While you're waiting, check to see that controller cords, AC Adapter, and Stereo AV cables/Component Video cables are not frayed or have exposed wires (this can cause the system to shut off); if so, you should replace those parts.
3. After the 45 seconds, Plug the AC Adapter into the system and wall outlet. Check to see if the power light on the Power button comes on.

* If the system works, plug ONE accessory into your system starting with the Sensor Bar, then turn the system on to see if it still works. Repeat this process with ONE accessory at a time. If your system doesn't work once you put a particular accessory in (Sensor Bar, GameDisc, Nintendo GameCube controller, Memory Card, SD Card, etc.), there may be something defective with that accessory.
* If the power does not come on, a repair will be necessary. Because it is not possible to determine which item (Wii console or A/C Adapter) needs repair, please call our Consumer Service Department at 1-800-255-3700 to discuss available options, or click here to e-mail us.

Last edited:
So they say if you try that procedure, and it still will not power on, then something needs repair. Either the console or a/c adapter. So if you have no option of sending for repair, you may have to try it with another a/c adapter. See if you can find someone you know with a wii to try it with... otherwise you may have to just buy a replacement from ebay or nintendo's website or something. But that may just end up being a waste of money if it doesn't solve the issue.

I don't have a modded wii, so I haven't opened one up... but I would think logically this has to be related to the modchip.

NinWii2010 said:
Got my Wii modded with Wikey about 3 mos ago, suddendly now it shut itself down in the middle of the game. And even worse now it won't power. Any similar experienced out there?

Sounds like you have soldered something you shouldn't have. Check your soldering?

it is never a good idea to mod any console.thats the truth live with it or get a new console.

vashivihan said:
it is never a good idea to mod any console.thats the truth live with it or get a new console.

You've obviously never used a modded xbox. I don't bother spending money on VC considering I have every NES game, SNES game, most Genesis games, 40+ N64 games, lots of atari and arcade games... not to mention about 25 or so Xbox games ripped onto the system.
Even if you use it legit, games load nearly twice as fast from hd than they do by playing from the discs.

But as I mentioned earlier, i choose not to do this until about the time the Xbox was dieing off and there was hype for 360 coming out. By that time Xecuter was on version 2.x

Back