Wii Wrist Strap Statement

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
Nintendo have this morning issues a press release statement the wrist strap situation.

Here's the statement in full:

Nintendo is not recalling any of the Wii wrist straps for its motion sensitive Wii Remote. There is no problem with the existing wrist strap as long as the Wii Remote is used sensibly and properly in accordance with the guidelines provided by Nintendo. All parts of the wrist strap have passed product testing and quality control.

The following tips are advised for safe play:

* Always wear the wrist strap while playing.
* Keep a firm grip on the Wii Remote at all times.
* Make sure people and objects are out of the range of movement before play begins.
* Players should keep at least three feet/ one meter from their televisions and dry their hands if they become sweaty or wet for any other reason.
* Remember that the Wii Remote is responsive enough to detect minor movements – so excessive and forceful actions are not necessary. Therefore we recommend not to use excessively rapid, violent or wide swinging motions while using the Wii Remote during game play.

Consumers who break their wrist straps through excess usage or who are worried about their wrist strap should contact their nearest Nintendo Service Center voluntary exchange programme has been provided where consumers can replace wrist straps free of charge upon request.

UK Wii owners can use the following contact information:

Email: [email protected]

Address:

Wii Wrist Strap,
Nintendo Service Centre,
CoDEStorm House
Walton Road
Farlington
PO6 1TR

Telephone: 0870 60 60 247 (Calls are charged at the National Rate to the caller)

I've seen one video of a Wii wrist strap actually breaking. They swing was as forceful as at LEAST a good high school baseball pitcher. Totally unnecessary and totally the player's fault. This whole thing is so overblown.

Saw this on the news (channel 4 uk news)

"Nintendo is offering to replace wrist straps on its Wii consoles after gamers complained they were snapping during use.

The game system has a wireless wand-like remote control which interacts with whatever game is being played.

The computer giant has now warned people not to make "excessively rapid, violent or wide swinging motions" with the control.

It advises gamers to stay at least one metre away from their TVs and ensure their hands aren't "sweaty or wet" and to "keep a firm grip on the Wii remote at all times".

The Wii sold out in less than 24 hours after going sale in the UK last week.

Since its launch there have been reports of the remotes flying out of players' hands, causing breakages and injuries.

Nintendo said: "There is no problem with the existing wrist strap as long as the Wii remote is used sensibly and properly in accordance with the guidelines provided by Nintendo.

"All parts of the wrist strap have passed product testing and quality control."

Source: http://www.channel4.com/news/content/news-storypage.jsp?id=3146268

Still don't understand how people can let go of the wiimote even if the strap does brake?

yeah people are stupid when it comes to this, plain and simple dont act like an arse, swinging like a maniac is NOT how your supposed to play a game, while this is nintendos goal "to change the way we play games" dont take it to heart....

Personaly, I think that anybody who breaks something as a result of being a complete plonker with their Wii Remote, should have their Wii taken away from them and destroyed.

I use the wristbands that came with the nintendo controller gloves...i wonder if they have fixed those ones too.

so are they expecting users to send in the original straps before they'll mail out the revised ones?

This would leave remotes strapless for a period and surely lead to more damaged screens / lampshades / windows / walls / family members?

Nintendo.com has a simple form that you can use to order a replacement strap. They start shipping on 12/21

Good it's pathetic
Most people are idiots. Tbh I play bowling without the Strap on and I never let go. Like it's never even moved. Now I use it. It's there might aswell.
People are getting to over excited

Haz said:
Personaly, I think that anybody who breaks something as a result of being a complete plonker with their Wii Remote, should have their Wii taken away from them and destroyed.

Dont Destroy a Wii. Give it to someone who will use it properly

just for anyone who doesnt know, these replacement wrist straps are strictly for USA and Canada because a lot of these incidents started happening the first week the wii was released in North America, so nintendo rushed and got all of the UK and Japan wii's to have the new, thicker straps.

Back