Wii60 Member impressions on SSBB

T3kNi9e

Conquistador
Dec 1, 2007
Augusta, GA
"Super Mario Galaxy is absolutely NOTHING compared to this"

Dairantou Sumasshi Burazaazu Ekkusu

Or, translated and getting rid of the Katakana pronunciation, Big Brawl Smash Brothers X.

080131_104701.jpg

Or, Super Smash Brothers Brawl to you not-in-Japan people. I played it for 5 hours straight, until my host parents said that I needed to stop. Otherwise, I would have kept playing long into the night.

I went to Yodobashi, pretty much THE largest electronics store in Osaka, 30 minutes before it opened. I went to a few entrances, and seeing as none of them had a line, I figured I was lucky. But there was a big line a little way away, and the people walking around the line had "Yodobashi" written on their backs. I asked what the line was for, and they said it was for a game software. I asked if it was Dairantou (it's the first word of the Japanese title of Smash Brothers, as shown in the thread title, and the game is referred to as such), and they said yes. The line looped around to an entrance ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BUILDING. I hopped in line as soon as I could, and I wanted to take a picture of how huge the line was, but to get out of line to take a picture meant losing my place in line, so, uh, no.

When the store opened, they let the line in chunks at a time. There was no running, no idiotic rush, but everyone walked at a pretty fast pace towards the escalators. There, they walked up the escalators. It was so quiet and exciting; it felt like we were storming a tower, not coming to buy a video game.

Once people got to the 5th floor, they would then enter a maze line leading to the 6 or 7 cash registers. Behind the cashiers were huge boxes that were stacked up so they were larger than the cashiers themselves; all of the boxes were full of SSBB.

I stood in line for about 45 minutes once I actually GOT to the 5th floor. Once I reached the cash register, I picked up a GameCube controller (there were several by each register), asked for Dairantou, and bought them both.

Also, funny note? The person in line in front of me bought an X360&DMC4 set, in addition to Dairantou and a GameCube controller.

So, skipping to when I got home, and played it. A few notes:

I hate Snake. I hate him so very much. He is incredibly hard to control, as his attacks aren't what you'd think they would be when relating to the buttons you press to get them. In other words, why the hell does he fire a rocket at his toes to do a FORWARD smash? Admittedly, if it hits, it does the job alright, but still, I'd prefer a big punch of some kind. There are other quirks with his movements like that too.

I hate Ike. I hate him so very much. He has a big sword that does a lot of damage. The trade off? HE IS THE SLOWEST CREATURE ON EARTH. God, a forward smash takes like 10 seconds. Admittedly, it DOES kill anything it hits. However, when you're fighting a lot of enemies like you do for most of the campaign, THIS DOES NOT WORK.

I love Zero Suit Samus. I love her so very much. Her whip has a huge range and does a pretty high amount of damage, and she has a third jump in ADDITION to the ledge-grabbing whip. She's not unbalanced; although her forward smash has such a huge range it hits behind her as well.

That's enough of that. As for the campaign?

HOLY CRAP THIS IS AWESOME HOLY HELL OH MY GOD I'M BLACKING OUT FROM HAVING SUCH A HUGE ORGASM

There is not a word of dialogue spoken, but the plot is deep. It's more than good versus evil; there's betrayal, different goals, and as a matter of fact, you might begin to pity one of the bad guys.

The cutscenes are amazing and all kinds of badass, with humor as well. The levels are fun, entertaining, and well-designed. The boss battles are all kinds of fun. They are interesting, require strategy, and above all, they are TOUGH. I'm talking STUPIDLY tough. One of the bosses has an attack that can kill you in one hit if you're not in the air, no matter what your percentage is. It doesn't take more than a second for it to do the attack, and it happens so fast you don't notice you're dead until after the fact. Fortunately, this only happened once.

I'm playing it at what I'd assume to be normal, but the game said it was on Hard. The enemies are many and varied, and some of them are downright dastardly. It's tough, and I recommend you play at whatever this difficulty would be called in the English version. The symbol next to the difficulty is the SSB logo, so there's that.

As for the feel of the game, there's definitely differences from SSBM. Some attacks behave differently, but in general, everything is more fluid, but more solid. I know that doesn't make sense, but it's the only way to describe it. Everything feels like it's kind of at a slower pace; the attacks are more defined, characters seem bigger with lots of animation, and yet, if anything, it's faster paced. Things get hectic often, but you can usually keep track of what's going on, because it's so solid. Yet, the movements and everything is so fluid, it's unreal. It's impossible to describe.

I haven't come across anything I don't like, other than a few deaths that I consider to be BS. With the fluid solidity, it might take you a little practice to get you back in order with even your favorite character, but it'll all work out. This is AMAZING.

Keep in mind, I've only played the campaign. I haven't gotten to do multiplayer matches, although I plan to do so as soon as possible. As for campaign length... Well, I'm over 5 hours in, but I'm just barely beyond the halfway point. The current plot is feeling like the finale, but I know there's going to be so much more. There are plot twists, and just, oh God, it's amazing.

So, do you have any questions? Although I'd like to say I'm making this post just to rub it in your faces that I get to play first by a long shot, that wouldn't be true. I'm just so happy right now, and I figured I might as well help you folk.

Source

WOW, this guy makes me want to buy this game SOOO BAD!

I know what he means by betrayal and suprise twist:
That green guy that flies around and drops the bombs is actually betrayed by Ganon. And that green guy is actually
Rob, yes Rob the robot. No im not joking.

you know it's nice to see the campaign ISN'T crap like IGN says it is. it's funny, like , i dunno how to explain this, but the SSE seems like one of those things where on a good day where youre feeling crazy you love it, and on an ok day you think its crap. kinda like, i dunno..

here's an example, like IGN when they reviewed super mario galaxy they said one of the things they loved was how nintendo just throws you into these worlds and says "don't question this, just do it," and they do . IGN said like "they throw you into this world which is just a bunch of floating water and say ride this sting ray. why? because its just fun. its so great blah blah blah." to me this is what most people will say about brawl, like "holy crap...wtf?! awesome!" instead of like ign says "oh wtf is that..thats just dumb."

any thoughts?

Seems like the Subspace is some deep stuff, I always knew it was going to have a good plot (That FF guy helped Sakurai on it), but after reading that.......man I want Brawl so badly.....

i think its makes compleate sence why we shoots a missle at his feet.....he already shoots one across w/ his special move....smashes are generaly close range

i take it the guy is a bigger fan of close range and speed from his opinions

yeah, but how can you say hes terrible based on that?.....from what ive seen he looks good

Donnyp1141 said:
yeah, but how can you say hes terrible based on that?.....from what ive seen he looks good
ike or snake or both? both look really good to me, ikes badass sword handling and snakes just regular badass-ness(i am a hardcore mgs fan so i will defend snake with my life).

Back