Wiiconnect is on, unit thinks its off.

Soupkin

WiiChat Member
Mar 26, 2007
Well, I got my wii, everything was working. I had to reformat my wii's memory because of an error with my wii forecast not updating right. After formatting, and setting up all of the internet again (agreeing to the disclaimer) and setting up wiiconnect.

It is on in the menu, ive tried turning it off and on, taking out the cmos battery, turning standby off and on. But everytime I go to the forecast, news or store, it tells me I have to enable wiiconnect.

You shouldn't ever pull the battery out of the wii without first disabling the wiiconnect24. There's a bug in the firmware. I"m sure it will be fixed eventually. That is what generally causes this problem.

I had the same issue when I modded my wii, I forgot to turn off the wii connect24 before I removed the battery. Anywho, here's the directions on how to fix it:

1. Turn on Wii.
2. Back up your game saves to SD card, and your mii's to your wiimotes.
3. Turn off Wiiconnect24 in your settings.
4. Turn off Wii. Unplug Wii.
5. Take out battery in back of system.
6. Plug in Wii and turn on system.
7. Make sure Wiiconnect24 is still off and format Wii memory.
8. With battery still out, turn system back on and setup all your settings.
9. Turn on Wiiconnect24 and check to make sure your news channel and forecast channel will again update and run as normal. Don't forget you will have to set up your internet connection and time and date settings again.
10. Turn off Wii. DO NOT UNPLUG.
11. Reinstall battery.
12. That should get the updating back to normal.
13. If upon first insert of a disc, you get a read error. Unplug and plug back in the system. Everything should then be fine.

It's a pain in the butt, but it worked for me. See if this doesn't get your fixed up.

Fixed the problem. The fix was similar to yours but required formatting twice.

Heres is what I followed.

Start with battery in and Connect24 either ON or OFF.
1- Backup any game saves and channels on SD card and any Miis on a controller (you are going to lose Wii Sports save, sorry)
2- Format Wii Internal memory ( Found on third page of Wii options)
3- Turn Wii back on and go through initial setup to completion (do not setup internet yet)
4- Turn Wii off (keep plugged in) and remove lithium battery panel along with battery (silver screw on bottom side of wii)
5- Turn Wii back on (with battery still removed) and again format internal memory
6- When Wii turns off after format, unplug power for ten minutes (with battery still removed)
7- Plug Wii in (no battery), Turn Wii back on and again go through initial setup to completion
8- Enter your internet settings now, and run internet connection test
9- Go to WiiConnect 24 and make sure you have it set to ON, with Stand By also ON
10- Make sure you go to Internet USER Agreement and select ACCEPT
11- Now go to NEWS channel and hit start ( if all has gone well you should now be able to download update)
12- Go to weather channel, select start and go through setup. ( You should now get your weather update)
13- Re-install your game saves back onto Wii(you have to insert each game disc to re-install saves to wii)
14- Save your Mii's back to Wii from controller (you will have to create 1 new Mii first on Mii channel)
15- Turn Wii power off (still plugged in), then reinstall battery and battery panel ( make sure battery faces correct way)

Back