WiiConnect24 help PLEASE?!

PsychomanV

WiiChat Member
Nov 19, 2006
I really need help with the WiiConnect24. At home, we have a Mac G4, with really high speed internet connected with the cable.
For the Wii, I heard you have to have a Wireless Router. But my dad said that if we get a Wireless Router we would have to change video cards or something like that in the computer and it would cost a lot.:shocked:

So if anybody can help me, I shall gladly take in your answer, opinions, and suggestions.:D

-PsychomanV

Hi, welcome to the forums :)

All you need is a Wireless router, i'd go with a linksys G model. Basically you will connect your modem upto the router.

Then you will connect the router upto your pc using a network cable. The Wii has built in wireless support so you'll be ready to go from there.

Have a look here for more info: Amazon.com: Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router: Electronics

You don't have to have a wireless router. The alternatives are:

A USB to Ethernet Adaptor. This adaptor allows you to plug in a CAT5 Cable to your Wii.

A USB WiFi Adaptor. This device which you plug into the USB port on your computer basically creates a wireless hotspot which your Wii can detect.

i have a question with the wireless router...i already have the modem thingy that came with the DSL.but if i get the wireless router you showed. can i connect wirelessly? or is there other catches such as having to have wireless internet.?

ok so all i do is buy that 50 dollar router then i can get on my PSP and DS online and stuff? and so basicly i just plug the router to my DSL modem thingy with the phone cord looking thing in the pictures and BAM i got wireless internet? and im asking these questions cause 50 bucks is alot out of a 13 year olds pocket.

Well to get you started all you need is a little bit of a basic network primer it seems, so here I go!

Before you get started you're going to need the following:

• Nintendo Wii (duh)
  • Wireless Router (Brand doesn't matter, but linksys is a good place to start)
  • Active High Speed Internet Connection

The Cable is Ethernet, or CAT5, the router should come with a length of this, and if you are online w/ your PC you already have some.

Now Considering that your Wii is wireless, you just need to get the router, and set it up.

To set up the router:

1. Power off your DSL/CABLE Modem
  2. Set your router nearby your computer
  3. Unplug the cable/dsl modem from the back of your PC's NIC (network) card.
  4. Replug the cable from the DSL/Cable modem into the "WAN/INTERNET" port in the back of your router.
  5. Take one end of the length of CAT 5 cable that came with your router and plug it into the port labeled 1.
  6. Take the other end of the CAT 5 cable that is hooked into port #1 and replace it into your computer's NIC (network) card.
  7. Power your DSL/Cable Modem on.
  8. Power your Router Up.
  9. Reboot your PC.

Start the Wii Internet setup, and it should automatically find your router!

You should be good to go! Let me know if you need more help!

**EDIT**

Most modern wireless routers are dual mode routers, being able to do both Wireless B and G, All Linksys routers sold at wal-mart currently do this. But be sure to check before you spend your cash!!

This Tutorial doesn't include any security! So if you have neighbors in close proximity, you need to enable WEP or WAP unless you don't mind lazy freeloaders jackin' your interwebs. Do a quick google search for more info!

Helpful Article Regarding WI-FI

:cool: :D

Last edited:
Wait wait wait I've heard that the wii only works with a Wireless-G adapter I'm not sure though but if your going to get it before someone responds to this post and knows about it be safe and get the G

And also, it says in the manual, 'PCs equipped with wireless cards can communicate with the Linksys system' I don't think we have a wireless card, soooo...

RE

To use the router WIRELESSLY you have to have a wireless adapter, but the router comes built-in w/ a 4-port wired router as well, thats where the whole connection of the CAT5 to the PC part comes in. You don't actually NEED to have a wireless card to use the linksys router, to use the linksys router wirelessly from your PC you will need a wireless adapter, but to use the router for the Wii wirelessly, all you need should be in the box.

edit -

Wireless G is Wireless G, Mac PC Linux Handheld, Nintendo DS, everything that uses standard Wireless G or Wireless B will work with the linksys routers! Oh What a wonderful life!

Last edited:
PsychomanV said:
I really need help with the WiiConnect24. At home, we have a Mac G4, with really high speed internet connected with the cable.
For the Wii, I heard you have to have a Wireless Router. But my dad said that if we get a Wireless Router we would have to change video cards or something like that in the computer and it would cost a lot.:shocked:

So if anybody can help me, I shall gladly take in your answer, opinions, and suggestions.:D

-PsychomanV

You're good to go w/ a Linksys router, look for my easy connect guide in this thread, it will get you started and rolling. Have your father look at the Wi-Fi Wiki, as well as the thread so he understands how awesome, and simple, setting up a wireless network can be!

Back