WiiConnect24 - Taking Advantage of Special Occasions?

LevesqueIsKing

An Instant Classic
Apr 4, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Yes, I preach to you guys about not making threads about Dojo updates. Yes, this thread does revolve around a picture shown in today's update. Yes, I do think this topic deserves its own thread.

In today's (10-31) update, a picture is presented to us showing a jack-o-lantern laying on the ground:

stage16_071031a-l.jpg

Just incase anyone needs reminded, today is Halloween. Having said that, its fairly obvious (to me, anyway) that this item would not appear on the stage every single time you play the game. If this is the case, it seems apparent that Sakurai is really taking advantage of the Wii's internal clock.

Think of the possobilities. Not only would items be put on a stage during a special day, perhaps they could take it a step further?

Character Costumes: Who wouldn't want to play as Santa Snake? How about Fox wearing an easter bunny costume?
Event Mode Matches: Assuming that Event Mode will return, this could easily be incorporated. Again, these would only be available for one day.
One Day Only Give-Aways:These are very common among other games, particularly MMORPG's (ever play runescape?). You would be given a surprise item simply by turning Brawl on during a special day. Show off your dedication to Smash by using or wearing these rare items. This would be one of the only things I can think of that may remain after the 'special day' is over.
Special Occasion Stickers/Trophies: This seems like by far the most probable thing that will happen out of anything thats been suggested. Stickers could be given to a person for logging onto their profile during a special day. Inspired by Paulpro.

I will edit this post as more ideas surface. Post away!

Last edited:
Great find. It seems like it's turning out a bit like Animal Crossing. I didn't notice this the first time I looked.

And I would love to play as Bunny Fox. :lol:

LevesqueIsKing said:
Fox wearing an easter bunny costume?!

FTW.

It could be likely, even Animal Crossing for the cube used the cubes clock.

Interesting idea man.
Hope something like that plays out, would add quite a bit more to the overall experience no doubt.

I love Nintendo's internal clock usage. Turn on your DS on your birthday. Play Madden on Christmas eve. I never thought about it in this game, but now that I do it seems so obvious! I can almost guarantee you theyl use something with the clock

i didnt even see that pumpkin the 1st time, great find and great ideas, especially the event mode, i can see that happening

this dosn't have to necesarily have to make use of wiiconnect24, in simpsons road rage, every christmas, you get a christmas car, and in animal crossing a lot of **** happens, it just uses the date/time from your wii

mushroomedmario said:
this dosn't have to necesarily have to make use of wiiconnect24, in simpsons road rage, every christmas, you get a christmas car, and in animal crossing a lot of **** happens, it just uses the date/time from your wii
yeah that's what i was thinking too, the simpsons game, things like a pumpkin are small enough that it can just be saved onto the game like animal crossing.

you have awesome ideas,
but i doubt that there are certain items on certain days.

i think there will be halloween, and x-mas special costumes.
but i think that the pumpkin will be a regular item.
hmmmm..... but who really knows...... IDK

^But its not a pumpkin, its a jack-o-lantern, which carries a lot of influence with it, namely the holiday of Halloween. You can't tell me that a jack-o-lantern will be a regular item...

mushroomedmario said:
WiiConnect24 would enable them to update the changes so that they were not so repetetive. We could have a new surprise every year for the same holiday.

Cool find... I thought didn't notice it... *my eyes kind of just passed over it as an item...

I wonder if there will be trophy's ect... that you get after having played the game for a year or things like that...

mushroomedmario said:

Yah, I was just thinking that... but I think they could do more interesting stuff with connect24 if while making the game they make a way to add items on certain days ect... like they have stages then every year the "event" item could be different ;) I think that woulod be pretty sweet...

LevesqueIsKing said:
One Day Only Give-Aways:These are very common among other games, particularly MMORPG's (ever play runescape?). You would be given a surprise item simply by turning Brawl on during a special day. Show off your dedication to Smash by using or wearing these rare items. This would be one of the only things I can think of that may remain after the 'special day' is over.

I will edit this post as more ideas surface. Post away!

haha, I used to play runescape I actually got very addicted unfortunatly and played it for like 2 years pretty much six days a week... oh well... I've quit now...

Last edited:
btw what's that purple thing in the image has that been released as an itme or does anyone know?

oops I meant to edit this into my last post sorry for trip posting...

Back