Wiikey fitted by total novice, wish me luck

good luck sponge! keep posting to let us know what happens... watching dvds? VC ok? Better internet browsing (d/l etc)?

mukeliller said:
good luck sponge! keep posting to let us know what happens... watching dvds? VC ok? Better internet browsing (d/l etc)?

so, an update.

1. all my original games work
2. the two US games I got cheap on Ebay now work
3. I can play all my old SNES roms with an emulator without having to pay £5 a game on VC
4. VC works fine as it always has done
5. no change in internet browsing as far as I can tell
6. I have ripped Zelda and Wario Smooth Moves, burned them back onto a DVD-R at 4X and they too work fine (so I don't just download games, I want to own the original but only use it once to backup, then it won't get scratched etc)
7. I have downloaded SSX Blur and like it so much that i'm going to BUY it on Monday, I plan to do this with several games, if they suck they'll go in the bin, if you're good i'll actually go out and BUY THEM!
8. As far as I know the modchip doesn't enable DVD playback but even if it did I doubt i'd use the Wii for that anyway, my £30 DVD player is far superior!

Sounds really good, however I really do hope Nintendo release a firmware update to counteract the Mods......

Haz said:
Sounds really good, however I really do hope Nintendo release a firmware update to counteract the Mods......

What are your arguements against mods then? Like someone said on here previously, if the Wii was region-free a lot of people wouldn't risk a mod. Sure there will still be plenty of people who download and never pay for games but that's the same with any industry, films, pc games, console games etc etc.

spongmonkey said:
7. I have downloaded SSX Blur and like it so much that i'm going to BUY it on Monday, I plan to do this with several games, if they suck they'll go in the bin, if you're good i'll actually go out and BUY THEM!
Hoorah! I only want a chip for importing, but Im aussie so i have a reason

spongmonkey said:
What are your arguements against mods then? Like someone said on here previously, if the Wii was region-free a lot of people wouldn't risk a mod. Sure there will still be plenty of people who download and never pay for games but that's the same with any industry, films, pc games, console games etc etc.

Valid point, Region free would have been better, Maybe would have brought Nintendo more money aswell?

Haz said:

So your telling me you don't download mp3's? That's technically stealing from an artist, the act is relatively the same with mod chipping. The truth is if modding was as easy as pressing a button labeled download everyone would do it. It takes a little bit more work; example: knowing how to solder. I love how people act like they are preaching the world and are angelic people, but in truth they just don't want/too lazy to do it themselves. I think nintendo is getting their cut making us pay up insane amounts for these historic games on the vc.

SadistBlue said:
So your telling me you don't download mp3's? That's technically stealing from an artist, the act is relatively the same with mod chipping. The truth is if modding was as easy as pressing a button labeled download everyone would do it. It takes a little bit more work; example: knowing how to solder. I love how people act like they are preaching the world and are angelic people, but in truth they just don't want/too lazy to do it themselves. I think nintendo is getting their cut making us pay up insane amounts for these historic games on the vc.

...........:shocked:

Let's be honest here, Nintendo's offering in the way of games is less than par. We get stuck with port after port and occasionally a few damn amazing games (Zelda TP) which make up for the lack of quality titles. Now, if everyone was to Mod their console and download games rather than cough up the cash, what do you think would happen to the industry? It would go into a decline and the cost of games would go up to cover the short-full in sales. Thus in turn could lead to the closing of small design companies and a reduce in games on the market, thus reducing the chance of the release of a decent game. Is this what you want? Game companies do not get their money any other way than through software sales.

This is where downloading a game is different than downloading a MP3. Game design companies, as said above only get revenue from one source, whereas bands/singers etc not only get income from CD sales, but also from concerts. As such, if the MP3 that you downloaded results in you going to see the band at concert, then there is still a financial transaction, and the band does not lose out.

However, I do agree with one of your points...... Yes I am far too lazy to take my Wii to bits and feck about with a Mod chip and wires........... It wouldn't be worth my time... I would rather part with cash.

Rights of Fair Use

If you bought a CD, you are legally allowed to rip it and put on your PC or iPOD. Why? Because there is a provision for Fair Use in the Copyright Law.

Now, why should the Congress dictate my freedom to make backups for the games I own? The congress passed the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) a few years ago. DMCA says if you circumvent DRM locks or create the tools to do so, even to enable noninfringing fair uses, you might be on the receiving end of a lawsuit. This is what gives the big companies the power to go after the small customers like us.

Unfortunately, right now, you are breaking the laws by installing the WiiKey yourself. If you get caught, be ready to use your Rights of Fair Use .

Guitarsmasher108 said:
I'm with you lee.jarratt, i dont want to mod my wii either:thumbsup:

Right on man, KIS, Keep It Simple. I like my Wii just the way it is. :thumbsup:

But good luck to you spongmonkey.

dchao said:
If you bought a CD, you are legally allowed to rip it and put on your PC or iPOD. Why? Because there is a provision for Fair Use in the Copyright Law.

Now, why should the Congress dictate my freedom to make backups for the games I own? The congress passed the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) a few years ago. DMCA says if you circumvent DRM locks or create the tools to do so, even to enable noninfringing fair uses, you might be on the receiving end of a lawsuit. This is what gives the big companies the power to go after the small customers like us.

Unfortunately, right now, you are breaking the laws by installing the WiiKey yourself. If you get caught, be ready to use your Rights of Fair Use .

My point was more aimed towards people who own no cd's, but seem to have their happy little 80gb ipod filled to the brim. I understand the preceding post supporting smaller companies. To be honest this isn't really a fair "argument", as I am fully aware I can't win it. You have to understand at the same time, no one is going to just stop doing it and give in to letting the other side win either. It's going to happen.

Back