Wiimote calibration to TV size? Pitfalls of a bigscreen...

courtwshr1

WiiChat Member
Dec 30, 2007
I just upgraded my 32" to a 52" widescreen and now my Wiimote accuracy absolutely STINKS. Of course I have gone into settings and told the Wii that I now have a widescreen and my sensor is above the TV, but even still: 1) The cursor is a few degrees below where the wiimote actually points, and 2) The wii seems to "think" my TV is smaller meaning that if I point 5 degrees to the right....the cursor actually goes 10 degrees to the right - meaning it thinks I'm at the edge of the TV set, even if I'm only half-way there. Is there any way to calibrate/configure the Wii or Wiimote so it knows how big my TV is?

Is it possible that you're still adjusting from the 32" to 52"? That's quite a jump in display size, congrats! I have a 42" display and I imagine I too would need a while to adjust to a larger display like a 60", wishful thinking :).

:cool: I've got a 55' tv and its the only tv i've ever played Wii on. Well I demoed a game at gamestop on their 27ish inch tv and it was very different as opposed to a larger screen. My sensitivity is at 3 and that works for me. Might take some getting used to for you. (congrats on the tv!)

Last edited:
yer i think thats the same size as the one in my room, the 109 cm one is in the rombus room but its mine,

I like the wii and everything but they could of atleast upgraded their hardware to nexgen before releasing us faulty wii's and the disc drives are very cheap which cause alot of malfunctions.. I just thought i should of brang that up

PixelPush said:
I like the wii and everything but they could of atleast upgraded their hardware to nexgen before releasing us faulty wii's and the disc drives are very cheap which cause alot of malfunctions.. I just thought i should of brang that up
Well you shouldn't have "brang that up" -.- Take it to a remotely relevant thread.

I don't really find that I need time to adjust when switching TV size. Before Christmas I had a 12" CRT TV in my room (I now have a gorgeous 19" LCD ^_^), which I used for my Wii, but once or twice I brought the Wii downstairs and hooked it up to the main family TV, which I think is somewhere around 30", and I didn't have any difficulty manipulating the pointer. But it might just be me, or the fact that I sit further back from the TV when I'm in the living room, or something.

Thanks for the comments. I guess what the problem is that on my 32" the cursor was perfectly lined up with the Wii gun for shooting games (mostly MoHH2). Anywhere I pointed on the screen was perfectly matched by the pointer. Now, with the bigger TV, it's off by a few degrees, and it's bugging me. Sure I can get used to it, and it will be far less relevant for other types of games, but I thought I'd check to see if this is a problem that others have.

One other thing (that might help): I cannot currently select 1080i as my TV resolution. I'm assuming it's because I have not yet plugged in the component cables. I presume this may help the issue by telling the Wii "how big" my TV is. Is it true that the option will appear when I get those cables?

The only HD setting supported by the Wii is 480p. That setting becomes available when you plug the component cable in, no higher resolution settings (such as 720p or 1080i) will become available.

^The wii is only capable of up to a 480p resolution. Yes, you will be able to select that resolution once you plug the cables in, no, this won't help your aiming.

Are you sure that your sensor bar is in the middle of the TV Screen? Have you tried it at the top and bottom of the screen? Did you select the correct option for distance compatability? Are you sitting at the same angle you used to sit at? I just switched from a 36" to a 50" and mine is working absolutely fine.

Hmm...what do you mean by "distance compatibility?" Where is that setting?

Back